Off-Subject ... Proton Magnetometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Subject ... Proton Magnetometer

Not that I need another project to work on, but I have been collecting information on building a proton magnetometer and was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a discussion group on it.

They do not seem to be too difficult to build (ability to read schematics required unless you have a friend that does). There are a couple of plans out there now that include schematics, etc. I should note that they do require modifications for u/w use ... basically housing the electronics.

My thoughts were to build a hand held unit first because it would cost less. If it worked, I would ten proceed to a boat towed unit.

Just to get your interest, I did come across a hand held unit that is being manufactured (there are only two companies that manufacture them that I know of). The cost of the unit below runs from $1900 to $2200.

http://www.divingdiscovery.com/Discover.htm

If you are interested, send me an e-mail. If any of you guys already have a proton mag (I think Jan does) please let me know. I am interested in how far the liquid containers are placed apart on the u/w units.

I'm more than happy to share what info I have found so far on the subject.

Patrick

Re: Off-Subject ... Proton Magnetometer

Patrick:

The containers you mention would be for a differential

proton magnetometer. The distance can vary as to needs

in covering an area. Why don't you start off with a

single sensor system. You will need three single coil

forms in three axis to prevent dead zones caused by the earths gradients at a given spot. The other way is

to wind a torriod sensor,but this is more difficult.

[email protected]

Comment

Patrick!

You might want to contact Phil Barnes. He's been building Mags for many years with great success.

As far as I can remeber, there's a link to him on the Geotech Page ...

Having him and some other people aboard it might be a good idea to start a new discussion group.

Regards to all,

Christian

Comment

Christian,

I have been in communication with Phil. Thanks. I set up a forum last night and will post the info on joining when I get home tonight.

Patrick

Comment

John,

I've only got plans for building a differential proton mag. Do you (or anyone) have plans for a single sensor?

I have tried to find info on a torroid sensor, but have not been successful. Are you aware of any web sites or books that discuss this type sensor?

Sorry to discuss this subject on the SSS list, but things appear to be slow anyway. I'll take these discussions to the new list tonight.

Patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I'm sure Carl would give you a hand and set up another forum on proton mags on the Geotech pages... thsi way you could take advantage of the upload image feature which turned out to be quite usefull ...

Regards,

Christian

Comment

Working...
            X