Proton Mag Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton Mag Forum

I set up a forum on "Listbot" for a discussion group on building an u/w proton mag. There are two ways to subscribe to the list. The easy way for me and you is to go to the web address below, type in your e-mail address and subscribe:

http://protonmag.listbot.com/

A few comments about "Listbot":

(1) E-mails are limited in size, but you will be able to send photos.

(2) In order to send e-mails to the list, you will have to be a member.

(3) You will be able to view the list of members.

(4) All e-mails will be sent to the list members as well as the archives.

(5) You will be able to view the archives.

I don't know if this project will go anywhere, but we could share some info and see what happens.

Patrick

Re: Proton Mag Forum

Patrick,

If you would like I will set up a Mag discussion forum just like the SSS one - image uploads included.

Also, I have just completed a fluxgate mag using Speake & Co's fluxgate sensors. Total project cost is around $150 if you have to buy everything outright. I have almost finished the report, but it lacks a few pics. I will go ahead and upload a preliminary version this weekend so maybe I can get some feedback. I want to submit it to Gernsback for publication.

- Carl

Comment

Carl,

I've already set up the forum on "Listbot" but can eliminate that easily enough. Is there anyway that the list members can tell who is on the list? Maybe I'm weird, but I kind of like to know who and how many people are participating and how many are just lurking?

Patrick

Comment

I suppose I can set up the forum so that you have to subscribe to it in order to access it. Unfortunately, some people have "big brother" suspicions - they want to be able to anonymously lurk and don't want to give out info just to view the postings. So this may end up scaring some people off.

I could require subscribing for anyone who posts but this is sort of redundant, plus I've seen other forums that require this get a lot of complaints (TreasureNet, for example).

Maybe a "guestbook" like I have on the front page, which people are encouraged to "sign" even if they are only visiting.

Let me know what you want to do. I have uploaded my preliminary fluxgate mag report in the Mag section. For some strange reason the PCB images got chopped off. I will upload a new version in a few days.

- Carl

Comment

Carl,

I'm interested in a "discussion" group, not a "lurkers" group. If someone does not want to "subscribe" to the list, and they had no plans to participate, what did the discussion group miss out on? Nothing.

I do understand that some people want to "lurk" just out of interest, even though they do not have the knowledge to participate. This is how I feel presently on the SSS forum. I hit my technical wall over a month ago. I guess I do not feel that requiring an e-mail address to participate (by posting or lurking) is asking too much. I would like to know who the members of the list are.

As I speak, two people have signed up on the list and I would expect others to do so. If you are going to "host" this list, I would suggest that we do it quickly so that people do not waste people's time (you, me, others). I have no secret agenda, I just want to be able to begin some conversations on the subject and see where we go from there. At this point, I have a lot of reading to do and am trying to learn how to read schematics.

Build a Proton Precession Mag

By the way, do you know whose web page this is?

http://hometown.aol.com/alka1/ProMag.html

"Build a Proton Precession Mag"

Someone told me it was your's.

Patrick

Comment

By the way, do you know whose web page this is?

http://hometown.aol.com/alka1/ProMag.html

"Build a Proton Precession Mag"

Someone told me it was your's.

No, not mine - I don't know who's it is. Someone sent me an email a while back with the URL, but now I cannot find the email to see who sent it.

Regarding the discussion group, I don't have the code in place for user registration, and right now I'm too swamped to write it. I subscribed to your list but I could not figure out how to post a message.

- Carl

Comment

>I subscribed to your list but I could not figure out how to post a message.

Never mind, the return email says what to do.

- Carl

Comment

Working...
              X