Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question: Tod or anyone

Tod,

I noticed in your transducer building pictures it appeared that the piezo elements were mounted with the metalic layer mounted perpendicular to a vertical plane when towed. I assumed the metalic layer of the piezo element would face outward; i.e. parallel to a vertical plane when towed.

Did I misinterpret your photos, or what?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brad

Re: Dumb Question: Tod or anyone

Hi Brad,

Not so dumb of a question, it took me a while to under stand until I saw a demo at the science museum in DC. I'll try to explain. The narrower a piezo element the wider the angle of the wave and the longer it is the narrower the angle or flatter. This gives you a large up and down angle and a narrow front to back angle. Take the eraser end of a pencil and poke it in a bath tube of water , you get a ring wave propagating from the center. Then take the long edge of a credit card and do the same. What you get is a flatter or straighter wave propagating from the card.

Did this help?

Tod

Comment

Re: Dumb Question: Tod or anyone

Tod,

I guess that makes sense, I was thinking more along the lines of which direction the piezo elements would bend when a charge is applied, and I was thinking that in order to propagate a sound wave outward the piezo needed to face outward. Similar to a stereo speaker. I hate to sound like a skeptic, but I gather the transducer you took apart had the same orientation you used?

Thanks,

Brad

Comment

Working...
      X