Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCG-Ground Current Generator

Hi, everybody,

I found on http://www.lrlman.com/Pages/GCG/gcg.htm this equipment. What do you know about it? I need to use it as a resistivity meter to find buried pipes, objects, foundations... Sometimes, in good conditions to find depth to rock limit... or water.

What about the software used for processing and interpretation of data?

I see the price 675$ for GCG unit, plus 18" T-rod 50$/each.

Thanks,

It's a 2 probe system. But it's not like other 2 probe systems. The microcontroller samples the ground and sets a reference (mean) value and the unti will show above and below that reference. It greatly increases the 2 probe system. You can make your own probes if you like.

I will have some pictures and plots of a small cache that was found in mexico with the logger and GCG along with a PI.

Tim

Comment

GCG-Ground Current Generator

Hi, Tim,

Thank you for your reply. I see that I can use GCG with a voltmeter or with Arc-Geo Logger. I want to have all the data measured on the field on a laptop. Is it possible to transfer live the data from the unit to a laptop with Arc-Geo Logger unit?

On http://www.lrlman.com/Pages/GCG/gcg.htm is written that "The unit also has the standard 4-probe 6-sample selection switch if you are used to using that method." So, I can use the equipment with 4 probes, not only 2. I need to use it with 4 probes for faster readings. Is it ok?

If you have more information, please send me on [email protected] I am very interested in GCG system!

What about the software? ArcheoSurveyorLT....Can I have a demo?

Thanks.

Comment

Ground resistivity is not easy. I tell all who want a unit to read up on ground resistivity first. Even if you use it with the logger and see an image you must know how to read it or you may be digging down to the water table. Also it is not easy to do . It's hard work to move the probe in the ground. I'm not trying to discourage you, just telling the truth. Most of the 2 probe system you see on the market are way over priced.

The box method allows you to center the target by reading the measured values within the six samples. But with the method I use you will see more information and X, Y location of the target.

Resistivity has many factors involved in determining the outcome of a plot. Please read up on ground resistivity so you can make a good decision before you by any unit.

You can download the software off my site if you want to test it. I will have to send you a blank grid to input your numbers in.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Williams View Post
          It's a 2 probe system. But it's not like other 2 probe systems. T
          Tim,
          Do you mean it is a "Twin-Probe" system? Two probe systems are not very useful. You really need four probes, as in wenner, twin-probe, etc...

Comment

GCG-Ground Current Generator

Hi, Tim,

I have worked with a lot of geophysical equipments in oil industry. I have enough documentation about resisitivity, but I need at lest 4 electrodes to do a good job. I know that the electrometric devices are overpiced... I asked many offers from ABEM, Iris, Allied...

I need a correct price and a good equipment... I can figure out further how to work and interpert the data. Is it possible to measure with 4 probes?

Comment

Well Dan Woods is a geophysicist and owns DMT Technologies. I sent him plot of my 2-probe system because he did not think a 2 probe system would be worth much. But after seeing plots from Bob and I , he said he had to rethink what he knows about 2 probe systems. If you go to my site on the GCG page you will see a 3d plot of a septic tank and the drain field that was done with the GCG and the logger. Bob also saw a milk can at 6 feet the same milk can that was in his Garrett deep seeker report with the 2 probe system. He also saw it better with the 2 probe system than the 4 probe.

Seeing is believing. The plots don't lie. My 2 probe system is not like other on the market. My unit takes a reference point of the average background and works from there. From test we have done the distance from the remote probe to the plot is 30ft for best results. The other probe in moved in the same pattern as you would use a metal detector.

Tim

Comment

Geophyz you may want to give Dan a call. His number is in the back of his report on the logger. He can explain his thoughts better. All I know is he told Bob and I he had to re-think the 2-probe system because of the data we sent him to look at. Because I would not have put it on the market without some professional input.

I am talking to him about the mag I am building. He has been very helpful.

Tim

Comment

Tim,

Can you send me some more examples with your GCG measurements? I need to localize cracked water pipes , to follow old pipes, water level in the soil up to 10-15m/30-45 feets (or more if your device is working...)...Is it available any quality certificate?

You have my email in an older thread..

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X