GARRETT AND FISHER???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GARRETT AND FISHER???

We are in a vertical down shaft about 85 feet below the surface, and we are picking up a detection with a Fisher Gemini 3 between us and 3 foot diameter steel pipe that was sunk hundreds of feet deep vertically in adobe, and possibly some limestone or calcium karst, about 25-30 feet from where we are. We were told that the Gemini could detect through this much material, but if this is the case, we should be able to detect the steel pipe anywhere from the surface to below where we are. (We know that this shaft was sunk hundreds of feet) The assumption is, that since the Gemini can't detect the steel pipe anywhere else, that we must be detecting something between it and us, and we are looking for something that can discriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous materials to try to determine what this before tunneling to it. The concern is that it may be a bomb. What equipment do you suggest that will work in these conditions in the Philippines?

I was ready to fly to Oregon to get a demo from Bob Fitzgerald on his PDF 1000 until I got this note below.....

Hi Bill, This is a "dowsing rod" They have been around for 1000 years. You can do the same with a coat hanger if you can "dowse" It makes me sick to see people get bilked into buying these things , which now go under the phony classification of "long range locators" for lots of $$$. Some even have batteries which serve no function.. Just a good way to make a lot of money from unsuspecting buyers. There should be a law against such things. Nothing
    new....best regards, .............

I have since found a Garrett distributor not far from here in Manila who has GTI 2500's for rent and sale, so I am wondering if my best bet is to use my Fisher Gemini 3 on the surface and the Garrett GTI 2500 down in the tunnels?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards ~

Bill

I take it you are getting a response just at a particular depth, so I agree that it is unlikely to be the pipe. It could be a mineral deposit. Is it a strong response? If so, then a conventional detector might work fine. The GTI2500 with the 12.5" coil goes pretty deep, so that might be a good choice. If not then a TM-808 has a ground balance control so you could use that to at least determine mineral vs metal. Even an old-fashioned BFO would work for that.

Keep in mind that if it's a large iron or steel item, it will still probably ID as high-conductive. A magnetometer would be useful in determining iron, but then again, a mineral deposit might also register on a mag.

- Carl

P.S.-- Yes, Fitzgerald sells crap. It's pretend equipment for pretend treasure hunters.

Comment

Hi Carl ~

The response registers up to 20% on the Gemini 3. We have tunneled to other spots with this kind of reading and it does appear to be natural mineralization.

The GTI2500 is the only unit that I have been to locate here in the Philippines. I will find out which coils they have since one person told us 60 foot depth capability, and another said 100 feet, so maybe they do have different coils, or they simply don't know what they are talking about, since I suspect that both of these depths are greater than the equipments actual capability.

The primary use will be down in the tunnels so distances this great shouldn't be necessary, although it would be nice to get a detector that discriminates up to 150 feet depth to check from the surface.

Since the GTI2500 is the only thing available locally, I think we will rent it for our immediate needs, but equipment for detecting from the surface would be a great help in the long term. Thnak you for your response, and any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, opinions, etc. on the above would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again ~

Bill

Comment

Sounds like a Filipino foot is about an inch long! They may have the Eagle Eye 2-box adapter but even that only goes a few feet on a car.

There is nothing available that detects at the distances you mentioned. There are lots of gadgets advertised to do so, but they only detect wallets.

- Carl

Comment

Hi Carl ~

Yeah, that's what I tell my girlfriend ..... 1" = 12" ;-) ..... Yes, I've met one of the wallet miners and thanks to you and one of the members of your forum, Qiaozhi, saved a lot of wasted time and money, and I sincerely thank both of you.

I guess the best strategy is to use the Gemini 3 and rent the GTI2500 for it's ability to discriminate down in the tunnels.

Thanks Again ~

Bill

Comment

GPL From KELLYCO

What do you think about these?

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/gpl/ground.htm

Thanks ~

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X