X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Induced Polarization

So.
    has anyone played with this before?
    I'm mostly into mining/exploration applications. It just seems to me that the equipment is super overpriced. I know a lot goes into research, development, support etc, but these things seem to be mostly just smart voltmeters!

Yes, I use IP or complex resistivity systems in my lab or in the field. Not to be rude, but all real geophysical instruments will seem overpriced to most treasure hunters. The ballpark entry price for most field geophysical instruments is about $20,000 USD. The most expensive field geophysical instrument that I use is a 3d RADAR Examiner 31 channel GPR array that cost $250K. There isn't any money in making equipment you would have sell for less than cost.

I have two lab complex resistivity systems, and Agilent E4980A which is about $20K and a Solartron Analytical 1287 system that was about $60K. The field resistivity system that I use is an AGI SuperSting R8 that will also do IP and it was $100K. That's just that way of the world.

Comment

Thanks for you reply,
      I actually work in the mining sector and am well aware of the pricetags on everything. My XRF is not cheap.
      However, for Time domain IP it seems most of the equipment is not using anything that advanced in terms of circuitry. I could be looking in the wrong places though.
      How do you like that supersting? It looks to me like one of the cool ones out there.

Comment

I would think it could be done with a Home Built Pulse generator, with variable duty cycle.

O-scope and a Good ohm meter, Eaaa?

All your doing is pulsing, measuring the decay time of the pulse to determine chargeability.

Comment

Hi 99%, just how accurate is the induced Polarization tech on all types of ground or deposits? I have a property that runs about 2500 US per ton, yet the IP that we ran shows no targets???

Don Jose de La Mancha

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jose de La Mancha View Post
            Hi 99%, just how accurate is the induced Polarization tech on all types of ground or deposits? I have a property that runs about 2500 US per ton, yet the IP that we ran shows no targets???

Don Jose de La Mancha
            Geophysics is hardly what you would call "accurate" heh heh....
            IP is a specific targeting tool that works wonders when it works, but is not applicable in most situations.

Comment

Good morning willimite: Thanks for the post. There was a lingering doubt.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha

Comment

Hi,
                I'm currently doing studies regarding IP time-domain and resistivity on core granite samples. Do you have any experienced on this topic? If I'm not mistaken, the relation between resistivity and chargeability is inverse. However, based on my finding, this relation is only true for wet sample. Is the ''inverse'' relation between chargeability and resistivity only true for wet sample? I've never done any IP survey before and not very familiar with the concept of chargeability. Am i missing something here..?

Comment

It's a pile more better then you think.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thx for your reply.

Based on your result, resistivity and chargeability do have some inverse relation, rite?
                    Recently, I've found that IP effect is mostly related to wet and saturated sample due to membrane and electrode polarization which require saturating fluid to be presence in pore spaces. This explains why my dry granite samples don't exactly follow the inverse relation. I could be wrong though... Right now my samples are only limited to granite. Wish i could try other type of rocks later.

Comment

Originally posted by co_upe View Post
                      Right now my samples are only limited to granite. Wish i could try other type of rocks later.
                      Co Upe, you can measure wet and dry clay. You can dry the clay in a microwave oven if turn it on minimum power.

Comment

This works on more then just clay.

It works on Ore bodies, Voids, and more.

Sulphide Ore bodies will show less resistance and longer charge times.

The material DOES not have to be damp, wet just conductive or not.

This is not a Magic Black Box.

It's science!

Comment

Those graphs I posted are not mine.

I annotated the one but those are actual graphs of a run.

Comment

Working...
                          X