Side scan sonar project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side scan sonar project

Is there continued interest in attempting an on-line design project? If so, I will set up a project directory, a specialized forum, etc. Please let me know.

- Carl

Re: Side scan sonar project

>Is there continued interest in attempting an on-line design project? If so, I will set up a project directory, a specialized forum, etc. Please let me know.

>- Carl

Hi Carl,

I'm following the discussion with great interest.

However I feel that there's a need of further contributors who may first of all bring in their knowledge and even more important are willing to fieldtest.

I will try to announce some interest when sending out the update letter.

Best wishes to all,

Christian

PS: Carl, on bottom you'll see a link to the new chat script ... just set it up for testing. Works great! Will just need some banners matching the size ...

PS2: Carl, in case you have some sparetime I was gald if you could take a look at the calenar of events script. Once it's running I may continue with my updates.

Comment

>Is there continued interest in attempting an on-line design project? If so, I will set up a project directory, a specialized forum, etc. Please let me know.

>- Carl

Carl,

I am still interested, but as Christian says, we need people giving ideas and share their knowledge.

Regards,

Jan.

Comment

Re: Misc

>PS2: Carl, in case you have some sparetime I was gald if you could take a look at the calenar of events script. Once it's running I may continue with my updates.

I've been messing with FrameCal (your first choice) and it almost works. When I register a new name it goes through the motions and adds the name to the database but then it will not find it again when I try to log in. I suspect I am one variable away. The URL is:

Comment

>I am still interested, but as Christian says, we need people giving ideas and share their knowledge.

I feel this will be a problem, especially in the beginning:

• No one knows about the project

• Those who know about it might not be interested

• Those who are interested might not know anything about electronics or programming

• Those who do might not have the time

I fit in the last category: I'm definitely interested but my time is very limited. I will act mostly as facilitator and contribute whatever else I can.

As Christian suggests, the first order of business is to get the word out. I will go ahead and set up a page and post notices in all of the treasure and electronics forums.

Did you ever get a reply from Dan Fountain? Are there any other forum readers out there who might be interested? Even if you are not an electronics whiz there are still things that you can do. Fer example, I am currently doing searches for sonar patents to add to the Patents page.

- Carl

Comment

>>I am still interested, but as Christian says, we need people giving ideas and share their knowledge.

>I feel this will be a problem, especially in the beginning:

>
            • >
            • No one knows about the project

>
            • Those who know about it might not be interested

>
            • Those who are interested might not know anything about electronics or programming

>
            • Those who do might not have the time

>

>I fit in the last category: I'm definitely interested but my time is very limited. I will act mostly as facilitator and contribute whatever else I can.

>As Christian suggests, the first order of business is to get the word out. I will go ahead and set up a page and post notices in all of the treasure and electronics forums.

>Did you ever get a reply from Dan Fountain? Are there any other forum readers out there who might be interested? Even if you are not an electronics whiz there are still things that you can do. Fer example, I am currently doing searches for sonar patents to add to the Patents page.

>- Carl

Carl,

No word from Dan yet.

He might be on holiday (or not interested..)

I was planning on sending him another question regarding some books he mentiones on his website

I hope that also people with no knowledge of electronics will still give ideas.

The electronic part will be solved, but we need ideas on how to improve certain things.

Any idea is welcome... it might put us on the right track.

Sometimes a complete ingorant comes up with the best solution because he/she is not hindered by knowledge about the subject and therefor does not follow beaten paths.

Inventors are known for not following standard rules.

At the moment I am looking for ideas on how to improve a normal fishfinder transducer for sidescan use.

I do not mind if this improvement is done via software, electronics or mechanics.... as long the result gives a better image.

I strongly believe that a good transducer is the key to a good sidescan.

Regards,

Jan

Comment

[i]>[i]>[i]>I am still interested, but as Christian says, we need people giving ideas and share their knowledge.......

Hello Carl & Jan. I want to throw my hat in the ring. I know a little bit about electronics but not enough to design a circuit. This will be the key. Maybe we can hire a circuit designer to make schematics and design a circuit board. The key element will be the transponder. Fish finder transponders will not be adequate to produce a high quality image like the Klein units. I looked around for a high quality transponder and the pricetag was around $5,000! Can't we make our own? I work in a machine shop and I'm willing to make a towfish. I made some underwater housings for lights (I'm a cave diving nut) and they were very successful. I can make an aluminum towfish that can withstand 2,000 foot depths, that's easily accessible with o-ring seals. I can weld the fins on and weld a cable attachment at the top. I can also make an electric winch for 2,000 feet of cable. Just let me know how many tow fish I need to make and consider this my contribution ( in exchange for transponder and circuit).

Pete

Comment

Working...
              X