Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• message to Carl

Carl,

Is there is posibility to have ones name+email address added automaticly when posting ?

Would make things easy but I have no idea if it is possible at all.

Regards Jan

Re: message to Carl

>Is there is posibility to have ones name+email address added automaticly when posting ?

>Would make things easy but I have no idea if it is possible at all.

I could do that, but some people might not want their names on a list. I would rather manually create a list of names and emails; that way I can also include "expertise" or whatever you're working on.

Also, I think we need to figure out some kind of structure for the project so we do not duplicate efforts. I'm open to ideas on this.

Finally, someone asked about subscribing to the forum so that posts are automatically emailed. I need to do a little work to the code and hope to have it working in a day or two.

Meanwhile, email me at either of my 2 addresses if you want to be put on a participant's list. Include whatever info you want on the list.

Thanks all,

Carl

Comment

Carl,

I have been thinking the same.

Without some structure it will not work.

My idea is as follows.

Step 1) Decide what kind of sidescan we want to build.

a) Using existing intruments reconfigure them and use that.

Basicly what Dan has done.

As Dan has proven this will work.

b) Design one from scratch using knowledge found all around internet.

The idea is to build one with a relative high resolution but with cheap components and some new ideas.

I am a strong believer not to think because all other people do things a certain way it is therefor stupid to see if there are perhaps easier ways to achive the same result.

In the early days every one thought the only way to move objects was to carry them ...until someone thought about round disks... (Don't take this to serious, its just meant to explain the idea..

Thats why we should be willing to listen to every idea how absurb it may sound at first.

This was my original idea when I proposed to try and design it as joint effort.

Step 2) Define the parts which can be developed by different groups.

I thought of the next 3 parts.

a) The fish

The fish could be 2 types.

x1) Standard fish

x2) Multirole fish (The one I described earlier)

b) The sidescan

c) The program processing the sonardata and output it to screen/plotter

Step 3) Ask who wants to participate on a regular basis.

Minimum would be 3 (One for each part)

Step 4) Assign a "teamleader" to each part and a kind of coordinator for the whole project.

The coordinator should be somebody who has already experience with building a sidescan.

Step 5) Start designing.

Each team has to work with the other teams, so it will still be a joint effort.

It would be logical if the Fishteam would ask the Sonarteam how large the fish should be to fit the sonar.

The Sonarteam should ask the Programming team how they want the sonardata delivered.

And so on..

This way we spread the development effort over many people.

As for my preferences.

As is obvious I would like to go for the sonar build from scratch with high resolution intimidated/sweettalked/coached out of "cheapo" transducers.

The resolution will not be like that of comercial sidescans, but getting near it.

Since I have the idea that I am the only one who wants a multirole fish I will form the "multirole fish" team by myself :< .....

Beside that I would participate in the sonar team.

This is just the way I see it, lets hear of other, and perhaps better, ideas.

Regards Jan

Comment

i>>Carl,[/i]

>I have been thinking the same.

>Without some structure it will not work.

>My idea is as follows.

>Step 1) Decide what kind of sidescan we want to build.

>a) Using existing intruments reconfigure them and use that.

>Basicly what Dan has done.

>As Dan has proven this will work.

>b) Design one from scratch using knowledge found all around internet.

>The idea is to build one with a relative high resolution but with cheap components and some new ideas.

>I am a strong believer not to think because all other people do things a certain way it is therefor stupid to see if there are perhaps easier ways to achive the same result.

>In the early days every one thought the only way to move objects was to carry them ...until someone thought about round disks... (Don't take this to serious, its just meant to explain the idea..

>Thats why we should be willing to listen to every idea how absurb it may sound at first.

>This was my original idea when I proposed to try and design it as joint effort.

>Step 2) Define the parts which can be developed by different groups.

>I thought of the next 3 parts.

>a) The fish

>The fish could be 2 types.

>x1) Standard fish

>x2) Multirole fish (The one I described earlier)

>b) The sidescan

>c) The program processing the sonardata and output it to screen/plotter

>Step 3) Ask who wants to participate on a regular basis.

>Minimum would be 3 (One for each part)

>Step 4) Assign a "teamleader" to each part and a kind of coordinator for the whole project.

>The coordinator should be somebody who has already experience with building a sidescan.

>Step 5) Start designing.

>Each team has to work with the other teams, so it will still be a joint effort.

>It would be logical if the Fishteam would ask the Sonarteam how large the fish should be to fit the sonar.

>The Sonarteam should ask the Programming team how they want the sonardata delivered.

>And so on..

>

>This way we spread the development effort over many people.

>

>As for my preferences.

>As is obvious I would like to go for the sonar build from scratch with high resolution intimidated/sweettalked/coached out of "cheapo" transducers.

>The resolution will not be like that of comercial sidescans, but getting near it.

>Since I have the idea that I am the only one who wants a multirole fish I will form the "multirole fish" team by myself :< .....

>Beside that I would participate in the sonar team.

>

>This is just the way I see it, lets hear of other, and perhaps better, ideas.

>

>Regards Jan

>

>

Jan,

I agree and I think I might have an idea for a fish that might help every one. What if the fish was at a 45 degree angle

and had a tail horizontal. It would be articulated . I have to go now, I’ll describe better later.

Comment

>

>i>>Carl,[/i]

>>I have been thinking the same.

>>Without some structure it will not work.

>>My idea is as follows.

>>Step 1) Decide what kind of sidescan we want to build.

>>a) Using existing intruments reconfigure them and use that.

>>Basicly what Dan has done.

>>As Dan has proven this will work.

>>b) Design one from scratch using knowledge found all around internet.

>>The idea is to build one with a relative high resolution but with cheap components and some new ideas.

>>I am a strong believer not to think because all other people do things a certain way it is therefor stupid to see if there are perhaps easier ways to achive the same result.

>>In the early days every one thought the only way to move objects was to carry them ...until someone thought about round disks... (Don't take this to serious, its just meant to explain the idea..

>>Thats why we should be willing to listen to every idea how absurb it may sound at first.

>>This was my original idea when I proposed to try and design it as joint effort.

>>Step 2) Define the parts which can be developed by different groups.

>>I thought of the next 3 parts.

>>a) The fish

>>The fish could be 2 types.

>>x1) Standard fish

>>x2) Multirole fish (The one I described earlier)

>>b) The sidescan

>>c) The program processing the sonardata and output it to screen/plotter

>>Step 3) Ask who wants to participate on a regular basis.

>>Minimum would be 3 (One for each part)

>>Step 4) Assign a "teamleader" to each part and a kind of coordinator for the whole project.

>>The coordinator should be somebody who has already experience with building a sidescan.

>>Step 5) Start designing.

>>Each team has to work with the other teams, so it will still be a joint effort.

>>It would be logical if the Fishteam would ask the Sonarteam how large the fish should be to fit the sonar.

>>The Sonarteam should ask the Programming team how they want the sonardata delivered.

>>And so on..

>>

>>This way we spread the development effort over many people.

>>

>>As for my preferences.

>>As is obvious I would like to go for the sonar build from scratch with high resolution intimidated/sweettalked/coached out of "cheapo" transducers.

>>The resolution will not be like that of comercial sidescans, but getting near it.

>>Since I have the idea that I am the only one who wants a multirole fish I will form the "multirole fish" team by myself :< .....

>>Beside that I would participate in the sonar team.

>>

>>This is just the way I see it, lets hear of other, and perhaps better, ideas.

>>

>>Regards Jan

>

>>

>>

>Jan,

>I agree and I think I might have an idea for a fish that might help every one. What if the fish was at a 45 degree angle

>and had a tail horizontal. It would be articulated . I have to go now, I’ll describe better later.

Tod,

Does not understand yet, wait for your description later on

Regards, Jan.

Comment

Working...
          X