Sture's homepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sture's homepage

There is a person that purchased a broken sonar and used it as a basis of designing his own professional quality sonar. I have traded emails with him several times over the last few years and he was very open and free with his information. He even offered his aquisition and imaging software that he wrote. He was willing to help me build a copy of his unit but I never got serious and took him up on it. He may be able to give you guys a jump start. I believe he builds his own transducers as well. His site provides samples using his unit in various stages of development and are extremely impressive. I don't know what I could add to your project but I am interested.

Good Luck,

Charles

http://www.tsl.uu.se/~stureh/welcome2.htm

Re: Sture's homepage

>There is a person that purchased a broken sonar and used it as a basis of designing his own professional quality sonar. I have traded emails with him several times over the last few years and he was very open and free with his information. He even offered his aquisition and imaging software that he wrote. He was willing to help me build a copy of his unit but I never got serious and took him up on it. He may be able to give you guys a jump start. I believe he builds his own transducers as well. His site provides samples using his unit in various stages of development and are extremely impressive. I don't know what I could add to your project but I am interested.

>Good Luck,

Sture in on holiday at the moment.

He will be back in august and will have a look in this forum.

Regards,

Jan

>Charles

>http://www.tsl.uu.se/~stureh/welcome2.htm

Comment

Charles,

If Sture has offered his software and support in building a unit similar to his I would jump on it. The images his unit produces are quality stuff.

Dan's design was to produce a sidescan using existing parts and making it as inexpensive as possible. The fish (with cable), and Mach-1 or X-16 (paper graphs) would come in under $500 total.

Dan used PVC. I used Delrin because it is a little stronger (more $$$ too). Sture used Stainless Steel ... his fish is bullet-proof. When using stainless, the price just went up quite a bit.

I believe Dan's unit is used in fresh water, where mine and Sture's will be used in Saltwater ... more rocks (at least where he is and where I am), hence the need for something more durable. I plan on hitting rocks! I am hoping that I do not lose the "fish" and just break off a wing. This is why my fish will consist of three modules. I will have extra tail sections onboard and can swap out if need be.

I have enough material (other than transducers) to make 2 PVC fish bodies and three Delrin bodies. The PVC and Delrin cannot be interchanged dues to difference in material size available. I hope to make all of the spare parts that I can so that we do not have to go through another set-up later.

One thing that would be nice is to use a portable PC (as Sture does) for a screen.

Does anyone know how much Sture's unit cost to build?

Patrick

>There is a person that purchased a broken sonar and used it as a basis of designing his own professional quality sonar. I have traded emails with him several times over the last few years and he was very open and free with his information. He even offered his aquisition and imaging software that he wrote. He was willing to help me build a copy of his unit but I never got serious and took him up on it. He may be able to give you guys a jump start. I believe he builds his own transducers as well. His site provides samples using his unit in various stages of development and are extremely impressive. I don't know what I could add to your project but I am interested.

>Good Luck,

>Charles

>http://www.tsl.uu.se/~stureh/welcome2.htm

Comment

Almost forgot ... I would expect Dan's unit to produce better images in fresh water than salt water.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
        X