Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A LITTLE ADVISE

[img]../images/my_recovery_1996.jpg[/img]

JUST SO YOU KNOW, YOU WILL NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER OBTAIN ANY USABLE IMAGES USING FISHFINDER DUCERS.

YOU NEED .2 DEG TO 1.5 DEG 40-60 DEGREE DUCERS

YOU ALSO NEED 750 VOLTS DC TO RUN THEM OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY ABILITY TO IMAGE SUBTLE ITEMS.

YOU NEED A VERY GOOD FILTER TO GET RID OF SONIC PULSES IN THE WATER THAT ARE AT THE SAME FREQUENCY AS SIGNAL.

YOU NEED TO CONTROL PULSE LENGTH(DIRECTLY RELATED TO RANGE RESOLOUTION)

THE BEST YOU CAN HOPE FOR IS A SIDEWAYS LOOKING BLOB OF **** ON YOUR DISPLAY THAT UNLESS SOMEONE TELLS YOU THAT IT IS A SHIP YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT IS.RESOLOUTION ALONG TRACK IS USUALLY 1/250TH OF RANGE SETTING JUST SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET A REAL SYSTEM.

I ALSO KNOW STURE AND HE WILL TELL YOU THAT THE MAIN PART OF A SIDESCAN SONAR SYSTEM IS NOT THE TRIGGER/POWER SUPPPLY BUT THE QUALITY OF THE TRANSDUCERS.

TRANSDUCERS NEED TO BE FOCUSED VERY PRECISLY AND HAVE SIDE LOBE TUNING DONE.

THAT IS WHY SIDESCAN TRANSDUCERS ARE 4-6 K EACH.

THE REST IS BASIC.

A TO D CARDS ARE CHEAP

SOFTWARE IS FAIRLY EASY TO MAKE

BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET RESULTS WITH TOYS, PERIOD.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

THE PIC IS OF MY SBD DAUNTLESS RECOVERY IN 1996 FROM LAKE MIGHIGAN

Re: A LITTLE ADVISE

Hey, Greg, nice recovery! By any chance, was a fellow named Coke Stuart ever involved with this project? He and my father used to fly Stearmans, I recall a discussion about pulling a Dauntless out of L. Michigan.

Any chance of restoration?

- Carl

Comment

Re: A LITTLE ADVISE

Greg,

I could say this 100 different ways, but in the interest of being constructive:

I find some of what you write informative, but for the most part, your tone is not acceptable or appropriate for this forum.

This is a forum of hobbyists who are interested in sharing ideas and working together.

It is not a forum for selling, and certainly not a forum for cursing at each other.

Forums for those purposes are available. Therefore, if you are interested in helping us, in an appropriate way, I think we would all appreciate your input. Otherwise I think you can find your way to those other forums!

(Also, if you used lower case lettering, I think people would appreciate it.)

Comment

Re: A LITTLE ADVISE to Pebbles

Greg,

Your medication must be working. Welcome back to civilization.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the informative post. I wish you sent this e-mail (without the attitude) and not the first one.

I have no doubt that the system I am building will not produce the quality pictures that a commercial unit does. However, it has been successfully used to locate wrecks in the recent past by a few people already. The cost is minimal.

The funny thing is, I heard this same message on people building rebreathers. I have a MK15 ($10,000) and there are a number of people that have made there own. They both work.

I think your knowledge could be beneficial to the members of the list and would hope that you would stay and contribute regardless of whether we make a useable unit or not.

Patrick

P.S. - I fogot to tell you earlier ... the post about the commission was not serious. Thanks for playing.

Comment

Working...
        X