Signals in cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signals in cable

I was curious.. There seem to be a number of ideas on how to run the signals up the cable.

Patrick, can you tell us how you are doing it, and how it worked this weekend??

Sture, how is your system doing it? Based on the schematics, it looks like there is an 8 pin connector coming off of the board. Are there more electronics, or are you using an 8 pin cable? Are you sending 750V down the line?

Is there a separate cable for strengh, or is the signal cable doing all of the pulling?

Finally, how is the cable handled at the surface? In cramped conditions, or on a boat where the captain doesn't want the equipment to get in the way of other activities, I would like something that was easy to use, and didn't get in people's way.

On one boat that I dive off of, entry is made from the stern, so while most divers would find the scans interesting to look at before diving, the cable rig would have to be out of their way before they went in!

-Bob

Re: Signals in cable

Bob,

The cable (RG-58 A/U) on my "fish" comes directly from the Fish Finder (in my case a Lowrance X-16 paper graph) and goes directly to the "fish" and ultimately ties into four Fish Finder transducers.

The transducers are already "potted" and I did not "pot" the transducer section (although considered it). I just made sure that the wires (where connected) were water-tight by using sealant and shrink wrap.

The depth of this "fish" is milmited by the length of the cable I can use. Dan stated that due to the limited power of the Fish Finder, the cable should have a max length of 200'.

I'll post a report on Sunday on how it worked.

Patrick

Comment

That 2nd to last sentance should have read "The depth of this "fish" is limited by the length of the cable I can use."

My typing gets bad after no sleep.

Patrick

Comment

Hi

I do use a 8wire cable where 2 wires are ground. The

750V is in the cable. The signals itself take

2x2 wires and it is important that it is balanced

pairs. The upside amplifiers do have a input with

transformer identical to the towfish output transformer. To have the strenght I put

the cable togheter with a 10mm nylon rope with

scotchtape. Maybe not so fancy but easy to do and

cheap. In the boat I use a "Clamcleat" and just

put the rope in.

Sture

Comment

Working...
        X