Accumeter VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accumeter VI

I have suggested that the Accumeter ground resistivity meter is essentially the same as the Survey Meter project, based on a schematic that an Accumeter (Model IV, I think) owner sent me. Meaning that the Accumeter can easily be built for $40-$50.

I recently acquired an Accumeter VI. I've only opened it for a quick look, which showed that, indeed, it is trivially simple. When I get some time, I'll draw out the schematic and post it.

- Carl

Resistivity Survey Meter

Hello Carl,
    I look better to the circuit and could not understand the use of a polarized capacitor 200MF in a AC circuit. The AC will pass through ... no doubt.
    Strange schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaud
      Hello Carl,
      I look better to the circuit and could not understand the use of a polarized capacitor 200MF in a AC circuit. The AC will pass through ... no doubt.
      Strange schematic.
      Probably the capacitor will explose !

For a non polarized , i will test my calculated value of 8 to 14 MF.
      It is a way to remove some voltage and protect the lamp.
      The earth resistance can be expected from 20 to 500 ohm.
      You should not put a ohmmeter on the capacitor but a voltmeter.
      You can say that a low voltage will be a hight resistance with no light and a hight voltage a very low resistance with the light will on.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaud
        Probably the capacitor will explose !

For a non polarized , i will test my calculated value of 8 to 14 MF.
        It is a way to remove some voltage and protect the lamp.
        The earth resistance can be expected from 20 to 500 ohm.
        You should not put a ohmmeter on the capacitor but a voltmeter.
        You can say that a low voltage will be a hight resistance with no light and a hight voltage a very low resistance with the light will on.
        Hello,
        some results:
        I used a transformer for 24V DC power supply so the output was 35v AC with 220V AC as input.
        Remenber, I am in Europe with 220V AC and 50 hz.
        I used a lamp 24V ( from car repair) power = 2W and a capacitor of 10 MF (+- 5%) non polarized.
        The voltage on the capacitor with a short circuit is 27.1 v AC and 19.2 on the lamp. The lamp is ON.
        I was able to mesure the resistance as around 10V in my garden but I noticed the probes have to be deep inserted in the earth and no danger to touch one of them;
        I recommend probes like those described page 31 of "Seeing beneath the soil" from Anthony Clark.
        If you have difficulties to calculate the capacitor with different voltages and lamps, be free to contact me , I will do it and give you the formulas.

Comment

accumeter

[hi Carl,

if you have a shematic diagram of accumeter V1, can you post it. Thank you.

ric

Comment

Hello,

Did my last post not go through?

I guess I will see if this one makes it...

Steve Arnold

Comment

OK,

For some reason my first post did not make it.

So I will try again.

I am going to hunt an area for iron meteorites. Others have been found in the area from 1 pound up to 1,000 pounds, so I am very confident there are more to be found. These have been found from the surface down to 6 feet deep. Some of the deep ones were found with a magnetometer built in the 1940s.

I would like to cover a couple square miles in area in as short of time as possible but also not spend more than I have to for the right equipment.

The Accumeter VI seems to fit the bill, except that it might be more expensive than what I want to pay IF I can find something better for less.

While there is mention of the schematics being available, I am in no way able to make soemthing on my own.

So I guess my questions are:

1 Would the Accumeter VI work for my project?
              2 If the Accumeter would work, is there a cheaper alternative I could buy somewhere?
              3 Is there ANYTHING else that might work better?

Thanks,
              Steve

Comment

correct tool

A magnetometer will be the correct tool to search for meteorites

Comment

Klaud,

Are you saying that the Accumeter (or one similar) would not work?

What appeals the most to be about the claims of the Accumeter is that I could cover 100 x 100 (10,000 sq feet) in a very short time.

While the hand hald magnetometers would only have a very small swath. Now maybe the expensive underwater magnetometers might cover a wider area, I am not sure.

Of course if the Accumeter does not work, then anything would be better. :-)

What about the Pulse Star II or the Lorenz LPX2 with the larger 8m dimeter coils? Are either of those suitable alternatives?

Could I get a little more feed back as to what the various options would be?

I have been given permission to hunt in some fields that are about to be planted with wheat and so I need to make a purchase, probably on Monday.

Thanks a lot.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I'll reply here instead of email...

I agree with Klaud, a mag would be a better choice.

With an ERM, you could plug the four probes on 100-foot corners, but your measurements would tell you almost nothing, and could be grossly misleading. Even a 1000-pound meteorite would be relatively small in comparison to 100 feet, so you would need to make measurements at much smaller spacings, say, 20 feet. And when you decide that a 400-sq-ft might contain a meteorite, you will still need to pinpoint the target. It's a tedious and time-consuming process.

I don't consider ERMs to be all that useful in looking for individual small metal targets. They are more suited to mapping archaeological sites, mapping ore deposits, and looking for large voids.

- Carl

Comment

Carl,

Thanks so much for the more in depth description. IF the Accumeter would work, it would be worth the inflated price to me, but since it looks like it may not (or something else might work better) I will focus elsewhere.

But I still have my deadline approaching.

I have heard of other meteorite hunters having success with The Pulse Star and the Lorenz (not sure which model) when hunting big irons that are 5 to 15 feet deep. Of course most use a Gold Bug or other Gold detector when searching for stony meteorites at or near the surface.

How would pulse type compare with different magnetometers?

Any suggestions for the what might be best at covering the most ground?

I am leaning more towards the Lorenz LPX2 due to price and it uses normal batteries and can use a 8m coil.

Any more help is GREATLY appreciated.

Steve

Comment

Accumeter

Dear Mr carl,

Could you tell me if Accumeter is a suitable system for treasure hunting or not?
                        Thank you.

Regards,
                        Reza

Originally posted by Carl-NC
                        I have suggested that the Accumeter ground resistivity meter is essentially the same as the Survey Meter project, based on a schematic that an Accumeter (Model IV, I think) owner sent me. Meaning that the Accumeter can easily be built for $40-$50.

I recently acquired an Accumeter VI. I've only opened it for a quick look, which showed that, indeed, it is trivially simple. When I get some time, I'll draw out the schematic and post it.

- Carl

Comment

LPX2

Dear Steve,

I have used Lorenz LPX2 for many years, but in comparison with other PI systems, LPX2 is a good system to some extent but can not go deep in the ground.

Hope this helps.

All my best,
                          Reza

Originally posted by steve arnold
                          Carl,

Thanks so much for the more in depth description. IF the Accumeter would work, it would be worth the inflated price to me, but since it looks like it may not (or something else might work better) I will focus elsewhere.

But I still have my deadline approaching.

I have heard of other meteorite hunters having success with The Pulse Star and the Lorenz (not sure which model) when hunting big irons that are 5 to 15 feet deep. Of course most use a Gold Bug or other Gold detector when searching for stony meteorites at or near the surface.

How would pulse type compare with different magnetometers?

Any suggestions for the what might be best at covering the most ground?

I am leaning more towards the Lorenz LPX2 due to price and it uses normal batteries and can use a 8m coil.

Any more help is GREATLY appreciated.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ric
                            [hi Carl,

if you have a shematic diagram of accumeter V1, can you post it. Thank you.

ric
                            ric did u manage to get circuit diagram for accumetor VI?let me know please . cranky hank.

Comment

I have the Accumeter VI circuit mostly drawn out... I'll try to finish it up, and post it.

- Carl

Comment

Working...
                              X