No announcement yet.

EPE resistivity logger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please note that the Real PIC Simulator states that the hex is for a 16F877A, not a 16F876A. Although I see that the schematic in the article shows a 16F876.

Update: Since this seemed a bit suspicious, I tried loading the hex for a 16F88, and it was still reported as a 16F877A. So it appears that the Real PIC Simulator is unable to determine the PIC type from the hex, and always defaults to 877A.

Comment

• Thanks for your efforts. I tried programming a 16F876A with the Hex (on a Dataman programmer) and it programs and verifies successfully, just not sure it will work based on the previous posts.
      I have just ordered a couple of 16F876 (non A) and will program them as a back up.

Comment

• Originally posted by electronpusher View Post
        Thanks for your efforts. I tried programming a 16F876A with the Hex (on a Dataman programmer) and it programs and verifies successfully, just not sure it will work based on the previous posts.
        I have just ordered a couple of 16F876 (non A) and will program them as a back up.
        Apparently device ID detection is not built into the hex file produced by MPLAB, so you just have to know which processor it belongs to. To be honest, I've never really thought much about this before.

Comment

• Hi.
          what type of indicator is used in this project?
          16x2 alphanumeric on which controller? HD44780? will KS0066 work ? thanks in advance to all of you.

Comment

• just-asking

#just-asking, can the signal from EPE Tx be read by the metal detector, say if, the impulsed frequency & interval from EPE is made to match (in real-time) to that of the detector.
            Last edited by vbeeeks; 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

• just-asking #more

... will this setup overwhelm GEB ...

Comment

• Originally posted by ivconic View Post
                Finished....
                Hello dude. Can i ask for the website of tthis EPE about earth resistivity logger? Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhathu saaii View Post
                  Hello dude. Can i ask for the website of tthis EPE about earth resistivity logger? Thank you
                  You can find the article here
                  https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/jp...er-john-becker

Comment

• Can someone show me how to change the rs232 into a usb connection on the Epe logger. I want to disassamble the rs232 and want to change it with a usb port.

Comment

• Just buy a Converter. https://www.banggood.com/3-in-1-USB-...r_warehouse=CN

Comment

• This is interesting thing.
                        I was thinking also to make resistivity logger based on Atmega328P too, similar to what i did with magnetometer.
                        Most of the "logger" part is already done at magnetometer.
                        I would have to change only some parts of the design at inputs and signal generation.
                        Even the PC software will not need any major change.
                        So to end up with "modernized" resistivity logger. To have BT connection instead RS232, "live mode", larger memory etc.
                        I might do that in near future. It will take some time.
                        But there is always one "ugly" question; how to invest in such work? Is it making any sense?
                        Any kind of similar attempts and undertakes are time, energy and money consuming.

Comment

• Im definately very interested in your project. If you ever build such a unit.....I will built this thing too. Im working on a EPE resistivity logger at the moment. I get a old PCB.....and now working on it, to get it to work. Have managed to activate the display today and can do some changes in the Lcd menu. However I think your project makes absolutely sense, if you use it outdoors. Im working with similar units at work and for me your project makes a lot of sense;-). If you ever go further on such a project and when its possible to change the layout and the data I will build it too. Also I would buy a assembled unit from you;-). Please let me know when you work on such a project or if you sell a old Epe resistivity logger (pcb or assembled)

Comment

• Originally posted by Prospekteur View Post
                            Im definately very interested in your project. If you ever build such a unit.....I will built this thing too. Im working on a EPE resistivity logger at the moment. I get a old PCB.....and now working on it, to get it to work. Have managed to activate the display today and can do some changes in the Lcd menu. However I think your project makes absolutely sense, if you use it outdoors. Im working with similar units at work and for me your project makes a lot of sense;-). If you ever go further on such a project and when its possible to change the layout and the data I will build it too. Also I would buy a assembled unit from you;-). Please let me know when you work on such a project or if you sell a old Epe resistivity logger (pcb or assembled)
                            In near future i might do that. Than i will announce it on forum here.
                            As for EPE resistivity logger... i have made several devices so far, last one several years ago .
                            I remember that there was a problem when picking the proper 16F876 chip.
                            It is not the same thing with "/04" and "/ISP" versions of the chip, no matter what others are saying, nor what's written in datasheet.
                            Old series with specific "/04" will work alright with the code. "/ISP" series most probably will not work good or at all.
                            But it is problem to obtain "/04" chips today.
                            So, if you have problems to make it right; first check the version on your 16F876.
                            Next thing; RS232 connection. OCX mess up. And the solution.
                            I searched through my archives and have found this note:

1. Cut the track (0V) connecting to IC7 (MAX232) pin 13.
                            2. Connect IC7 (MAX232) pin 13 to 9-pin serial socket SK3 pin 3.
                            3. Connect IC7 (MAX232) pin 12 to IC5(PIC) pin 18 (RC7).
                            This action allows the PIC to receive handshake data from the PC.
                            To set the PIC program to respond to the correct serial data transmission routine, initiate
                            the following procedure:
                            1. Before switching on power, press and hold down the Mode switch, S6.
                            2. The screen will go into serial path change mode, alternating at about one-second
                            intervals between a display saying ?SERIAL PORT NORM? (original version)
                            and ?SERIAL PORT OCX ? (Joeĺs OCX).
                            3. Release switch S6 when the mode you require is shown. This mode becomes the
                            active path mode and is also stored into the PICĺs data EEPROM, to be recalled next
                            time the program is run.
                            4. On release of switch S6, normal running of the PIC program resumes.

And yes; any RS232 to USB converter will do the job.
                            I have tried and proved this one as doing alright:
                            https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B000067SNB

Although this is noted at the second part of the article; it is easy to miss it:
                            Crystal X1 should be 3.686Mhz and not 3.2768Mhz.

Comment

• Nothing in that logger can't be done using a $2.00 Arduino NANO. Hell , the whole thing could be done with Gum Drop Parts off the shelf. I wish I had better Programing skills. You can even buy SD card readers for under $2.00 for the things.

Comment

• Thank you very much Ivconic for your help;-). A Arduino resistivity logger would be great. Also with SD card option (great ideas homefire). Would it be possible to add a SD card option to the ERM?

A Arduino project would be great......?..we need an programmer

Comment

Working...
                                X