Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Hi All,

I have just obtained a Vallon VMH3CS mine detector and am surprised at how good the performance is. I've not done any detailed tests as yet, but it will detect coins at great distances in air and a 0.3gm gold nugget at 2-3 inches. This is without ground compensation. With compensation switched in (mineralisation on switch) it will cancel a substantial piece of Australian ironstone. The machine is fantastically rugged and runs off three D size batteries, so it feels a bit heavy, but is reasonably well balanced. The search coil measures 1.5mH and is 3 ohms resistance. TX pulses are bipolar and 50uS wide. It is not immediately apparent how such narrow pulses are effective using a coil of 1.5mH.

I have been off the forum for quite a long time and would be interested to know if anyone else has experience with this detector. I shall take it to the local beach next week and see how it performs there.

Eric

Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Hi All,

I have just obtained a Vallon VMH3CS mine detector and am surprised at how good the performance is. I've not done any detailed tests as yet, but it will detect coins at great distances in air and a 0.3gm gold nugget at 2-3 inches. This is without ground compensation. With compensation switched in (mineralisation on switch) it will cancel a substantial piece of Australian ironstone. The machine is fantastically rugged and runs off three D size batteries, so it feels a bit heavy, but is reasonably well balanced. The search coil measures 1.5mH and is 3 ohms resistance. TX pulses are bipolar and 50uS wide. It is not immediately apparent how such narrow pulses are effective using a coil of 1.5mH.

I have been off the forum for quite a long time and would be interested to know if anyone else has experience with this detector. I shall take it to the local beach next week and see how it performs there.

Eric
    Eric,
    I am extremely interested in some of the performance specs of this one. I have been working on a design that the TX is based on the Fisher Impulse. The RX preamp has just enough gain (G=32 - 64) to supply the most sensitivity and dynamic range to give a 18 bit ADC the senitivity of a 24 bit while not overloading on strong signals . Further DSP processing will be done by a FPGA... 9 samples per tx cycle. 1 for envirionmental cancellation, 8 channels cic innput filtering, 8 channels ground/mineralization filter for cancellation, 8 channel equaliztion filter. I am playing around with different timing placements of the 8 filtered channels to find out how to extract the mot information. I chose the FPGA route because all that filtering, TX control, and sample control can be done concurrently in parrallel. I was going to start with 4Khz bi-polar w/ 50 sec pw. The 1.5 mh coil sounds intriguing as I am working with ~300 uh. I have the TX/RX and the 18 bit ADC boards desgned and built. Some of the FPGA code is in design stage. The real FPGA (Spartan 6 LX25) will be obtained in the very near future.

I only detailed the above to illustrate why my interest in this detecor is high. I do not want this thread to morph into a discussion of my detector, but remain about the Vallon VMH3CS detector. If there is really any interest in what I am doing, I will start another thread. KEEP THE INFO COMING!!

Comment

Hi All,

Eric
      Wow! - that's interesting. ..... a 1.5mH coil with a 50us pulse width, but still able to detect a small gold nugget.
      Did you measure the TX pulse rate?

Comment

I have just had the Vallon up on the bench to try alternative coils. Result, it does not like them. I tried a 300uH and a 1.4mH and the unit gives an alarm to say something is not right. The resistance of the 1.4mH coil was 10 ohms so maybe that flagged a problem. With a mine detector everything has to be right, obviously. When you switch on, the detector goes through a check sequence before coming to life. When I get time, I will wind a coil to the exact spec. of the Vallon one and see it that works. Ideally I would like an 11 or 12in one as the standard truncated ellipse one is a bit small for what I want to do. Battery life, according to an army test, is 30 hours on three alkaline D cells. It appears to run just below audio threshold but with a short beep every few seconds to show that the unit is still alive. Display is LED bargraph and/or speaker/phones, plus vibrator in the handle. No excuse for missing a mine.

Eric.

Comment

Hi All,

Eric
          It is probably a CCTX, a continuous current bi-polar TX, where the coil is charged very rapidly at high voltage and then the current maintained for 50us.

Comment

Originally posted by Monolith View Post
            It is probably a CCTX, a continuous current bi-polar TX, where the coil is charged very rapidly at high voltage and then the current maintained for 50us.

Similar thing crossed to my mind when i saw "1.5mH" is coil inductance.
            It's not a PI at all.
            Most probably it is mixed technology.
            Examining closer their web page and offered pdf docs there; is impossible to find any useful data and tech specs!
            Only customer related and usual stuff are there... boring.
            I watched the video on their page (flash) and it is noticeable that
            VMH3CS is producing quite different audio (pitch and waveform) with different coils attached.
            Is it because of different coil or is is because of maybe different targets?
            Would be interesting to test it with different coils.

Comment

It is 530uS between positive and negative pulses. I have done this so far by placing a small ferrite cored coil near the Vallon coil. I am going to try connecting the scope directly across the coil to see what the drive voltage and back emf is. Not sure how I am going to do this as I don't want to muck up a working unit. I bought it as untested but the only problem I found was that the coil connector had bent pins because the user appears to have got mad at it and forced the connector into an orientation it wasn't supposed to go. Luckily I straightened the pins without then breaking off. By the way, they use a 7 pin connector for a mono coil. I think I figured out why, very elegant.

Eric.

Comment

It is 530uS between positive and negative pulses. I have done this so far by placing a small ferrite cored coil near the Vallon coil. I am going to try connecting the scope directly across the coil to see what the drive voltage and back emf is. Not sure how I am going to do this as I don't want to muck up a working unit. I bought it as untested but the only problem I found was that the coil connector had bent pins because the user appears to have got mad at it and forced the connector into an orientation it wasn't supposed to go. Luckily I straightened the pins without then breaking off. By the way, they use a 7 pin connector for a mono coil. I think I figured out why, very elegant.

Eric.
                Inductive coupling between scope and coil.
                Inductive scope probe.

Comment

Vallon describe the principle as "Digital Magnetic Pulse Induction". All the considerable literature on mine detector testing that I have read, classify it as pulse induction. I have designed PI detectors that run coils of 1mH and above but they have lots of series resistance to improve the time constant and run at at much higher repetition rate i.e 5 - 10kp/s. I tried a Vallon coil on a 'normal' PI circuit and the earliest I could sample was 25uS.

Eric.

Comment

Similar debate already happened on forum recently.
                    Is it PI or is it not PI?
                    I wander what KT315 have to say on this?
                    Never mind actually.
                    But if it is "pure" PI; than for certainly it extends the common definition and understanding of PI technology, we are used to accept here.
                    That's why i think this is very interesting that you have chance to investigate it more.
                    Maybe it is time to explore this subject totally and give some proper answers, once for all.
                    And who is the best man on forum for such task?
                    Exactly the one who brought it here!
                    Go for it, this will be very interesting topic.

Comment

Originally posted by ivconic View Post
                      Inductive coupling between scope and coil.
                      Inductive scope probe.
                      Actually it was quite easy as there is a cover that you can unscrew near the coil swivel. Underneath are two pins that connect the coax to the coil winding and it was easy to get the scope probe on. Result; it is pulse induction as I know it. The drive voltage to the coil is a 6v rectangular pulse 50us wide on both polarities. At the end of each pulse is a back emf spike of 250V nicely damped. The mystery remains as to how they get high sensitivity to small nuggets. Fully GB'd on ironstone a 0.3gm nugget gives a good signal at 1in and just detectable at 2in.

No more tests tonight - my wife is frowning at me.

Eric.

Comment

No more tests tonight - my wife is frowning at me.

Eric.
                        I think I know that picture extremely well.

Comment

Hello,

lt's probably a pulse balance induction... Technology not employed in gold metal detector today.

But we're working on !

Eric I sent you a message.

Alexandre

Comment

Welcome back Eric, very interesting subject.

Comment

Oh, I'm so glad to see you back.

I've tried the machine, briefly, but I was impressed. It is slick, and I like vibration a lot. Led indicator is a bit childish, but works reasonably well. I found it perfectly balanced. And coil is inspirational.
                              It is designed mainly for finding small brass ... thing, and many small coins are found instead.

If the principle is extrapolated from the known parameters, it would be as if a "normal" PI machine is on for 10us, but complete cycle is 100us. Very tight, but efficient.

It was thoroughly tested near Obrovac on difficult terrain. Not so much viscous, but properly saturated with iron (terra rossa, bauxite) and riddled with all sizes of rocks. It excelled.

My recent thought was to investigate short Tx pulses against viscous soil using my viscous soil model, and see how far the Paltaglou principle may be stretched. The opposite, a looooong pulse, may straighten the viscous response to ideal 1/t, but in all accounts it is energy inefficient. So there must be another way. Perhaps Vallon already solved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X