Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The IRF640 is getting hot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sean_Goddard
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Or get a bigger phone.
    OK I was going to say one word...AVALANCHE!!!

    But then I read this. Well I've done it now and got it out of my system.

    (Yes I'm on a PC, yes I can see the date but you never know). << Me most days.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by marburg View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha going to have to get bigger fonts on my phone
    Or get a bigger phone.

    Leave a comment:


  • marburg
    replied
    Ha ha ha ha ha going to have to get bigger fonts on my phone

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by marburg View Post
    Hi was having same problem on silverdog pi but was using small 100mm coil once i made 250mm coil and fitted it to the board it was fine picking up 2p coin at 200mm but only 80-100mm for 1gram of gold
    Do you know that you're replying to a post from almost 4 years ago?

    Leave a comment:


  • marburg
    replied
    Hi was having same problem on silverdog pi but was using small 100mm coil once i made 250mm coil and fitted it to the board it was fine picking up 2p coin at 200mm but only 80-100mm for 1gram of gold

    Leave a comment:


  • yhl
    replied
    HELP

    Who can help me? My current small Gary detector only 55 mA. Do not know what is the problem

    Leave a comment:


  • danny475bek
    replied
    hi

    are you using the the reg111 on the bord or the lm1117 as a high curent transistor regulator
    if you are using the second one the big transistor type the irf will make some het and you can reduse that by ataching some matal or i prefer alaminium stripp on the irf
    if this is not the problem it migt be that the reg is not working well you know there is a short and a cutt of and the open situwation it might be opened that mean that the full power is entering to the pcb
    you have to check the resistors they can be functioning wrong espesialy the resistors that are neer to the irf
    tc
    danny

    Leave a comment:


  • hisoka147
    replied
    Warning

    Don't touch the ground or back plate of IRF640 or you'll experience some electric ground shock.

    Anyway, It's nice to know that Gary is back and answered most of my concerns. The problem lies on to much current that I'm using.

    Leave a comment:


  • Alexismex
    replied
    Hello ,
    check your pulse with oscillo, perhaps the primary pulse is very wide.... or your pulse frequency is very high...

    Leave a comment:


  • silverdog
    replied
    Hi all

    I am also building Gary's Pulse 1 and am experiencing a very hot irf640, too hot to touch - any further thoughts on why ?
    my unit is yet to work though
    I have checked datasheet of irf640 and pinouts are the same so problem must lie elsewhere

    Anyone got a good explanation of schematic ?

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Hi hisoka147,

    the drain and source pin of the mosfet might be exchanged! So the inherent forward biased diode of the mosfet might conduct allways.
    Check this please.

    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • chemelec
    replied
    Originally posted by hisoka147 View Post
    I finally completed the board and already soldered all the parts. Upon testing, the IRF640 is getting hot. I just want to ask if this is normal.
    Sorry for the Delay in Responding, I have been away in Chile, Argentina and Brazil, on a holiday

    It should Not get Hot at all.
    Unlikely Even Warm!

    AVERAGE Current Flow is Less that 100 mA. on that 18 Amp Mosfet.

    Working or Not, Sounds like you have a Problem!
    Check Input Current. Should be Less than 150 mA.

    Gary

    Leave a comment:


  • hisoka147
    replied
    What a co-incidence. This is the information that I'm trying to seek for some time and luckily, you've shared it to me. I have'nt read the whole content yet and simply browse the whole idea and it's very nice.

    Thank you for sharing mate!

    Leave a comment:


  • WM6
    replied
    Originally posted by hisoka147 View Post

    I'm trying to avoid touching this component because I experienced some electric shock on it.
    Shock could be curative. Actually this is sort of Zapper stage. Read more about Zapper on web, e.g. this:




    Leave a comment:


  • hisoka147
    replied
    Thanks

    Either way the circuit is fully working and I placed a small heat sink for this component (IRF640).

    I'm trying to avoid touching this component because I experienced some electric shock on it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X