Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

disappointment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tilladude
    replied
    Simon,

    You could try baking paper, the stuff they sell in kitchen ware shops and such. It doesn't allow the oils and sugars to get through and stick to the metal sheet.

    I would wax the boards first then staple the paper down around the edges and go about winding the coil as normal with whatever "thane" you want to use. Then when you seperate the form coil should come out covered on both the paper, trim the extra paper ( maybe leave enough to finish wrapping the coil) and apply the shieding material.

    Just some dribblings from my aging grey cells.

    Take care,
    Dennis

    Leave a comment:


  • mikebg
    replied
    Originally posted by Tinkerer View Post
    I often loose count while winding a coil.

    Can anybody recommend a cheap, simple turn counter?

    Tinkerer
    Tinkerer,
    I converted a mechanical kilometer counter designed for cycling. Eliminate its gears. In order not to rotate his body, hooked to body a small weight that hangs like a pendulum. If you find such device and disassemble it, you'll think of how to convert for turn counter.
    When my colleagues asked to repeat my ugly but simple and cheap turn counter, it turned out that the bicycle shops no longer offer mechanical counters, but electronic devices called "bicycle computer". They are inexpensive, easy to reset and can be designed very elegant coil winder because use magnetic sensor. However, the models are not able to show directly the wheel turns, but show the result multiplied by the circumference of the wheel. My advice is you to visit several bike stores and getting to know the capabilities of the proposed devices. You may come across a model that can be integrated in coil winder.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by porkluvr View Post
    I was planning on using 1/4" dowels but I have not drilled the 1/4" holes in my platform. Good thing.

    After reading about your problem, SB, what I may do instead is to use either L or D shaped hooks covered with a piece of Teflon tubing. I'll raise the windings off the platform surface and hope that whatever varnish or glue I use won't stick to Teflon.

    "D" hooks would act as a channel. I have yards of regular shrink tubing but I'll need to purchase some Teflon.
    I'd like to see what that looks like.

    But dfbowers has no problems with his winder, so maybe check with him first, don't get turned off by my results. Maybe varnish works better, or he was more patient and careful applying non-stick coating.

    Also, I found 1/4" pegs can bend inward, although using a top platter should help that a lot. I use 3/8" pegs.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • CrotalusAtrox
    replied
    You can get PTFE or FEP or UHMW PE tapes that won't stick to epoxy. Get one with an acrylic adhesive. The Teflon types are expensive, UHMW PE slightly less.

    McMaster-Carr has a variety in their catalog:

    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.


    PJ

    Leave a comment:


  • Tinkerer
    replied
    I often loose count while winding a coil.

    Can anybody recommend a cheap, simple turn counter?

    Tinkerer

    Leave a comment:


  • porkluvr
    replied
    I was planning on using 1/4" dowels but I have not drilled the 1/4" holes in my platform. Good thing.

    After reading about your problem, SB, what I may do instead is to use either L or D shaped hooks covered with a piece of Teflon tubing. I'll raise the windings off the platform surface and hope that whatever varnish or glue I use won't stick to Teflon.

    "D" hooks would act as a channel. I have yards of regular shrink tubing but I'll need to purchase some Teflon.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    better, but not great

    There is no giving up in metal detectors, so I decided to kick it up a notch and try to make the wood of my coil winder really slippery so Varathane would not stick.

    dfbowers suggested beeswax, so I called the hardware store. The guy I talked to said they had something similar, but that he knew that woodworkers use car wax to protect areas of wood from glue. So off to the local car parts store to get car wax. Most of the products didn't seem right, too liquid, and the guy there suggested surfboard wax. Dude! why not? So I drive to the local surf shop -- I find it boarded up, they had recently shut down and moved. Dude! What's a dude to do?

    I had used up my day's quota of running around and so, deflated, returned home. Not to be defeated entirely, and out of inspired desperation, I commandeered a particularly ugly tea candle we had received as a gift, probably recycled, and pressed it into service as a lubricant, energetically scrubbing the surface of my winder disks and wooden pegs with candle wax, trying not to waken my wife who slept while I worked feverishly into the wee hours of the night (wee if you subtract them from 12). I noticed too late the cheese grater effect as I went over the holes, and deposited no small amount of wax shavings on the rug.

    Waxed to the max, I excitedly hooked up my winder, threaded the wire through my little lacquer bath (consisting of a film can attached to the base with a screw hook whose double duty was to guide the wire under the Varathane lacquer), and began to wind with the enthusiasm of a sausage maker.

    After about 20 turns I noticed that in my impassioned frenzy I had neglected to insert two of the pegs in my form.

    As I tried to cope with feelings of dark self reproach, I thought I heard a raven tapping at my window. I sat, torn between the impulse to say "FTSIGTB" (f** this s** I'm going to bed) and "WTGGTTTGG" (when the going gets tough, the tough get going).

    Glumly contemplating unwrapping 20 turns of sticky toxic wire, I drew a breath and launched into the salvage operation, first obtaining an empty vitamin bottle to wrap the gooey wire around, and second declining to put on rubber gloves because, hey, they were in another room.

    Because of the difference in diameters, it seemed an interminable number of coils on the pill bottle before I undid my work. My hands were a crusted mess of Varathane, god knows what coursed through my veins and DNA.

    Without further ado, I inserted the missing pegs (rewaxing them for good measure), threaded the wire from the pill bottle into the bath for a recoating, and resumed winding. I worried that the tension was not uniform, since the wire spilled easily off the end of the bottle. After about 20 winds, I was back to the original coil of wire, and, cranking in high gear, I made short work of laying down about 100 turns.

    I scraped the insulation off the wire and checked inductance, added a few turns, and stopped the process when the inductance read about 6 mH. I knew from experience it rises about .3 to .4 mH as the lacquer dries. I was trying to duplicate the coils that dfbowers sent me, which ended up at about 6.4 and 6.8 mH.

    --------------------
    Next Morning

    I was so excited to see the results the next morning that I shaved, had breakfast, read the paper, checked my email, paid some bills, and rushed to check the coil.

    --------------------------------
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

    Well, some improvement, but still some problems. I found by twisting the pegs, any sticking can be released without affecting the coil. But the coil did still stick to one area of the lower platter, and maybe to the top because it required force to remove it (hammer claws).

    I am feeling that Varathane is really sticky stuff, it sticks to anything, including wax. A lot of wax ended up stuck to the coil, making a very not pretty looking coil. And one corner of the coil stuck sufficiently to the wood to cause separation of the windings.

    The coil has a nicer thickness because I narrowed the space between platters, making an almost square cross section. I notice though that the D shape needs some improvement, maybe move a peg or two.

    I probably need to throw out my plywood platters, they are maybe too rough to get a smooth coating of wax or silicone, and replace with something better, like smoother wood or cutting board, etc. Maybe I can put a layer of something on them (hey, what about Teflon?).

    Anyway, still struggling, but that's what this is all about.

    I still would like a faster way, like the Garrett factory, to make coils. I'm thinking of a winder design using cross-angled pegs where I can put in foil first, wind the coil on the foil, either lacquered or apply glue later, and then wrap the foil as I remove the coil.

    For now, I'll see what I can do with a couple of coils that look like they just got out of bed.

    -SB
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by mikebg View Post
    SB, Here is a technology used by the (R)EMI group to produce hot impregnated with epoxy resin coils. The form is wooden because it is warmed to tempetarure about 100 degrees Celsius. Rotating of the form is by hand in a simple device as a crank. Instead crank can be used hand drill.
    Before winding is smeared with silicone cream all surfaces that will touch the wire. After the winding, current is placed over the coil until it is heated to about 110 degrees Celsius. Then a little epoxy glue is dripped out (in the gaps between the plates), which is immediately absorbed between hot turns and quickly hardens. For the removal of the coil loosen the screws and plates pivot.
    Interesting, food for thought. It's all about knowing your materials well, it seems.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Merc View Post
    Here is the video of Garrett coil manufacturing.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZBq5r5DEs
    That's it! Garrett, not Tesoro.

    Leave a comment:


  • mikebg
    replied
    HOT IMPREGNATED COILS

    SB, Here is a technology used by the (R)EMI group to produce hot impregnated with epoxy resin coils. The form is wooden because it is warmed to tempetarure about 100 degrees Celsius. Rotating of the form is by hand in a simple device as a crank. Instead crank can be used hand drill.
    Before winding is smeared with silicone cream all surfaces that will touch the wire. After the winding, current is placed over the coil until it is heated to about 110 degrees Celsius. Then a little epoxy glue is dripped out (in the gaps between the plates), which is immediately absorbed between hot turns and quickly hardens. For the removal of the coil loosen the screws and plates pivot.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Merc
    replied
    Garrett coil making

    Here is the video of Garrett coil manufacturing.


    Leave a comment:


  • Tinkerer
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience -- I was naive about making non-sticky wood.

    I love these contraptions; it's like Faraday himself is walking amongst us...or someone's planning time travel....

    Looks like you are making a concentric coil there?



    Do you feel there should be a space between the coil and the shield? Why so?

    -SB
    The coils shown are a concentric combination of a TX coil with 450mm diameter and a RX coil of 225mm for the TEM TX method.

    The spacer helps a lot for reducing the coil to shield capacitance, very useful for PI coils. I apply the graphite composition shield outside of the spacer with very good results.

    Tinkerer

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    I wonder if anyone has access to pics on how commercial coils are wound. (come on Carl.. throw us a bone). I always had a vision of a two piece machined spool that spits in half after the wire is wound. Or.. winding the coil DIRECTLY inside the coil shell.
    There was a video link on this forum showing a worker at the Tesoro factory making a coil (concentric I think). It was funny how quick she wound it, slapped a dab of glue here and there, bada bing, out the door!

    She wound it on a form that was inserted in the coil head I recall.

    Can't find it now though.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by nabiul View Post
    Try using a polyethylene cutting board for the base, stuff is so slippery that even epoxy will come off of it in time, and I've used epoxy to glue anodized aluminium to blued steel!

    Cutting boards are cheap enough too, I got 4 small board like this at canadian tire for like $5.
    It's worth a look. Maybe a little thin to put pegs in, but I'm sure there is a way. I start thinking about it...

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by nabiul View Post
    Try using a polyethylene cutting board for the base, stuff is so slippery that even epoxy will come off of it in time, and I've used epoxy to glue anodized aluminium to blued steel!

    Cutting boards are cheap enough too, I got 4 small board like this at canadian tire for like $5.


    I wonder if anyone has access to pics on how commercial coils are wound. (come on Carl.. throw us a bone). I always had a vision of a two piece machined spool that spits in half after the wire is wound. Or.. winding the coil DIRECTLY inside the coil shell.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X