If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Good Job!
Unfortunately it is not to easy to find a computer with serial port now.
So using USB programmers looks more convenient.
Take a look what you can have for $3.
Wow $3! How can they do that? It costs more than that for a USB connector here!
My homemade one is working! I made it from junkbox parts so it didn't cost me anything.
I'm having trouble with a similar one at work, it doesn't work with 3v parts so I hope to
mess with this one and come up with a fix for that one. It is the original Kanda one. Here's
a picture;
The other HC244 was blown I think. They both were sitting in my junkbox for 15 years...
I built a parallel port programmer but it doesn't work yet. Lucky we use them at
work so I can try it there! (and use theirs if I don't get mine going).
We had to buy special parallel port cards to get them to work as the Kanda
software wouldn't see the first card (if anyone is having problems).
Great! As soon as my parts get here I should be able to get this puppy working!
I found a thread that said the Chance software was written in C that is why it
jumps around so much and will make it harder to disassemble...
I built a parallel port programmer but it doesn't work yet. Lucky we use them at
work so I can try it there! (and use theirs if I don't get mine going).
We had to buy special parallel port cards to get them to work as the Kanda
software wouldn't see the first card (if anyone is having problems).
Yes the first boards from Silverdog had that plane missing. They were replaced but some are still floating around.
One other question. Around version 0.84 there was a software change to support a different AD, the schematics have never
been updated. Does the latest software version work with MCP 3201 or ADS7816? I bought the 3201 so I'm hoping it works!
"You can try new update 0.83 for MCP 3201 and 0.84 for ADS7816."
Yes. All versions of code work with MCP3201 and someone told that with MCP3201 Chance works better than with ADS7816.
Probably that compatibility with ADS7816 was made because MCP3201 was rare in Russia few years ago.
Yes the first boards from Silverdog had that plane missing. They were replaced but some are still floating around.
One other question. Around version 0.84 there was a software change to support a different AD, the schematics have never
been updated. Does the latest software version work with MCP 3201 or ADS7816? I bought the 3201 so I'm hoping it works!
"You can try new update 0.83 for MCP 3201 and 0.84 for ADS7816."
Thanks for your help! The mods for the new software aren't a problem. I was refering to #35 in this thread (page 2) where
someone said
"I have started to solder parts on Chance PCB and have noticed on that PCB just missed whole ground layer on the top.
So I will have to make several wire jumpers to ground all components properly. Probably it was one of that epic failure
PCB's from the first Chance with mistakes."
The PDF from Silverdog shows 3 layers;
[ATTACH]28723[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]28724[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]28725[/ATTACH]
I just checked and sure enough I have one of the original boards with the ground plane (2.jpg) missing.
It would have been nice to have a corrected one but I can do something like this to fix it;
[ATTACH]28726[/ATTACH]
I can see where the screen is written to and places where he talks to the external A/D but
to find the disc code will take a bit of study.
As I study your 2.jpg pix it is the ground plane with the non ground connections isolated from the plane. It is connected to battery negative and to the ground side of the coil and to other ground points in many other places. Perhaps in some production runs this layer is missing. I did not know of this problem with Silverdog boards.
You might want to ohm out the Silverdog board after installing the three wire jumpers indicated in your 3.jpg pix. If they ohm out ok then you will save a lot of soldering for yourself. I think Wakiki Sweep has a board not from Silverdog.
Dan
Silver Dollar has posted a picture of his board.
Looks like three jumpers are here:
The jumper wires are there in the top layer. The grounds are not there so I'll have to jump them all in.
I just had a look in my junk box and didn't find anything. Then I took a look at an old CB radio I had
started dismantling and found 3 C945's! (I just wish there was one more).
You might want to ohm out the Silverdog board after installing the three wire jumpers indicated in your 3.jpg pix. If they ohm out ok then you will save a lot of soldering for yourself. I think Wakiki Sweep has a board not from Silverdog.
I'll use your picture to add the ground in. Should work OK just look a little ugly. I'm getting excited to
have a good working PI machine when the weather finally turns good again!
[/QUOTE]
You have a perfect ground layer covering all your PCB instead of my defective one. So may be you do not need to add extra jumpers. But jumpers over passes of high current: near coil, dumping resistor, tank capacitor, MOSFETS may let it work a little better I think.
I see the A733 on ebay but they also call it 2SA733 which is a different animal (much lower HFE).
I ordered most parts from Mouser but they didn't have the transistors. I bought a 2N7000 before
I checked out the mods so too late!
Leave a comment: