Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sidescan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Glennk
    replied
    You could easily run tha map function on your Lowrance, as the display won't give you any good pictures of the scanning.
    You will have good images when you post-process the files on you computer, but not while scanning.

    Glenn

    Leave a comment:


  • diverelvis
    replied
    update

    Another update.
    Have just received the lowrance lms 480mds unit. Looking to fit her in the next few weeks when the weather gets a bit better, ice most days at moment. Have booked in for a radio/DMS course on 10 Feb so looking forward to that than we are booked to do a rya boat handling course soon after. we then hope to get as much practice in as possible before the weather really starts to get nice so we can get out scanning. seems strange as i have spent the last 20 years on the ocean but always as the diver and not the driver. Had a few goes on ribs in the past but this is somthing else, and if I have learned one thing in that time is "don,t mess with the ocean" or it can bite back so taking lots of safety precautions and lots of training to make sure we and the boat are up to the job come summer. Just busy replacing all the cooling hoses on the boat as a few have small cracks in them and fitting a twin battery system instead of the single in place at the moment and the appropriate charging diodes and switchs etc. Loving every minute apart from paying for all this stuff,

    What is the best way to commence search patterns and is there any software available to help in this task for either the lowrance 480 or any other machine?
    Also can you use the mapping facility available with the lowrance 480, at the same time as using the side scan, or is this not a good idea??
    More qustions to follow I am sure
    Cheers guys
    jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • diverelvis
    replied
    Another update.
    Have just received the lowrance lms 480mds unit. Looking to fit her in the next few weeks when the weather gets a bit better, ice most days at moment. Have booked in for a radio/DMS course on 10 Feb so looking forward to that than we are booked to do a rya boat handling course soon after. we then hope to get as much practice in as possible before the weather really starts to get nice so we can get out scanning. seems strange as i have spent the last 20 years on the ocean but always as the diver and not the driver. Had a few goes on ribs in the past but this is somthing else, and if I have learned one thing in that time is "don,t mess with the ocean" or it can bite back so taking lots of safety precautions and lots of training to make sure we and the boat are up to the job come summer. Just busy replacing all the cooling hoses on the boat as a few have small cracks in them and fitting a twin battery system instead of the single in place at the moment and the appropriate charging diodes and switchs etc. Loving every minute apart from paying for all this stuff,

    What is the best way to commence search patterns and is there any software available to help in this task for either the lowrance 480 or any other machine?
    Also can you use the mapping facility available with the lowrance 480, at the same time as using the side scan, or is this not a good idea??
    More qustions to follow I am sure
    Cheers guys
    jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • Glennk
    replied
    Originally posted by henkka View Post
    Hi!
    here is the information in English:
    http://www.ramers.fi/esitteet/PINGFIN_brochure-eng.pdf
    Henrik?

    The document have already a link earlier in the thread.
    Or is this link for a newer version of the Pingfin information?

    Glenn

    Leave a comment:


  • henkka
    Guest replied
    from Finland

    Hi!
    here is the information in English:

    Leave a comment:


  • Glennk
    replied
    Yes, I have some data that I could send you.
    I will upload the data and some images to a web page, so that you and other can download it.
    I'll post the link here when I have uploaded the data.

    And I would go for the dual freq system if I was to buy a Sportscan in the future. Or maybe the YellowFin if I was in need of the option to go deeper than 30m with the fish.
    But as I see it, I have no need for this at this point, and NOT at that price that they ask for the YellowFin.
    But the 330/800kHz unit is a nice piece of equipment! And well worth its money. I beleive that this is the unit giving the most walue for money at this point.
    If you upgrade the unit with a more sophisticated software, as Triyton or SonarWiz its fully comparable to the "pro" sidescan units (if you don't need the option of going deep with the towfish).


    Glenn

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugo Ferreira
    Guest replied
    SportScan sonar

    Hi, Glennk

    do you have data from your Imagenex SportScan that you could send me?
    or any jpeg or bmp?

    what is your feeling about the sportscan single freq? does the dual freq be a good investment?

    my e-mail: [email protected]

    Best regards,
    Hugo Ferreira


    Originally posted by Glennk View Post
    There are currently a Sportscan for sale here in Norway, a 330kHz model.
    This is my old Sportscan, so I know the equipment and the computer.
    It is a 230mHz MMX IBM Thinkpad included in the package, as well as a storage/shipping case.
    The whole package was CAN $5529 or something last June when I bought it from Shark Marine.

    The seller now wants 30.000 Norwegian Kroner (about 4750-4800 US$)

    Leave a comment:


  • diverelvis
    replied
    sidescans for sale

    Hi guys,
    Check out e bay for some really cheap tow fish and printers.
    75 pounds for 600m per side tow fish and 3 different printers.
    I would buy myslf but would not be able to work out how it all goes together. Im sure some of you guys will be able to.
    Go to www.ebay.co.uk
    and type in sidescan sonar.
    Get your wallets ready
    Hope this helps someone
    Cheers
    jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • Glennk
    replied
    Looking forward to se the results!
    I have several good scans with the Burton M1 unit.

    But remember that you get better results if you keep the sensibility of the sonar at high settings. It looks bad on the sonar display, but you get really great results when you review them on tha computer afterwards!

    Glenn

    Leave a comment:


  • diverelvis
    replied
    Burton sidescan

    Hi folks,
    Thought i would bring you up to date with happenings. As you know i could not make up my mind as to whether to order a sportsscan or a burton.
    Well I have made the decision based upon feedback from this site and have just ordered the Burton sidescan. So thanks for all your helpfull comments and photos.
    Am really looking forward to receiving it now and then getting out on the water to try her out.
    I know plenty of shipwrecks close in to shore and how they actually look from diving on them so many times, so will be interesting to see how the image of them looks.
    As soon as i get any usefull images I will post them on this site for feedback.

    Cheers jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • Glennk
    replied
    Originally posted by diverelvis View Post
    The ping fish loks good but having looked at the web site there is no English version to get a price and more details.
    Shame that
    jeff
    About 5000 Euros, depending on configuration.
    Here is a link to the English version of the brochure.


    As far as I can understand, the system is based on the same principles as the Burton, but with a more "heavy duty" towfish. The system looks really nice!

    Glenn

    Leave a comment:


  • diverelvis
    replied
    The ping fish loks good but having looked at the web site there is no English version to get a price and more details.
    Shame that
    jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • Bertrand SCIBOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Glennk View Post
    The Edgetech system is a very nice piece of equipment! But it also has a price that shows what class its in. It is not exactly in the same class that the Sportscan or the Burton!

    I can see that you are using the Edgetech with a computer, what aqusition software are used, and what mosaiq software?

    Do you have any pictures of the actual system?

    Glenn
    Well,
    You have most of all the information you want on our site www.ceresm.com.
    I have two systems 272 EG&G runing by a special computer and TEI (triton imagning)software, including nav, images, target & mosaic.
    Cheers
    bertrand

    Leave a comment:


  • Glennk
    replied
    The Edgetech system is a very nice piece of equipment! But it also has a price that shows what class its in. It is not exactly in the same class that the Sportscan or the Burton!

    I can see that you are using the Edgetech with a computer, what aqusition software are used, and what mosaiq software?

    Do you have any pictures of the actual system?

    Glenn

    Leave a comment:


  • Bertrand SCIBOZ
    replied
    Sonar images

    Hi,
    i do not have a sportscan sonar but an Edgetech 272Td dual frequency.
    You can see images in both frequency, bust mostly in 400Khz at our internet site: www.ceresm.com.
    Feel free to email for any help
    Cheers
    Bertrand

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X