Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Side scan information - Newbie here

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and also very very new to the side scan sonar community.

My interest in sonar was sparked many years ago in another life it seems when I served in the Royal Navy. I was not a sonar rating and as such just glimpsed it and on one occasion I had shift for an hour and was enthralled by it. However a career as a sonar operator was not to be.

Now many years on, I am now looking to pursue this as a hobby. I now currently live in Cyprus full time although work away, I am looking at searching for new dive sites and wrecks along the coast and little beyond.

So that is the background briefly and now for why I joined this forum. Side Scan sonar advice. As with most technical equipments the market and internet is full of information all saying this is the best of the best etc. I am seeking info to any good websites that are written for the layman but reasonably technical explaining which type is best for what. Also if anyone has used a sonar system for the same reasons I am looking at, that would be usefull too. My budget I think is reasonable at around $5000 but obviously less is good too. I think what I would want is towed sonar that is portable that can go from boat to boat depending who I am going out with. As I said, I work overseas so it is not cost effective for me to own a boat full time.

I have looked at a couple of systems but questions on these I have but will wait to see what I gleam from all your replies. The ones I have looked at on the net are starfish (starting at around 1800 sterling) and the hummingbird that I cant find a price on.

Advice welcome

Diveman
Working...
X