Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Balance Theory

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave J. View Post
    Nonetheless, my point is clear: the Internet should not be viewed as the repository of all knowledge, there are political forces which would gladly wipe it out. Keep as many print books as you can.
    This reminds me of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    Best reference on the subject I ever owned, was Hechos y Estadisticas Jose Puy-Huarte (Universidad de Argentina). Dated probably something like 1960 or so, I don't remember. In Spanish, but the exposition was with such clarity that it didn't take much knowledge of Spanish to "get it". Unfortunately a few years back I gave a bunch of books away and that little paperback was among them. Paper book libraries aren't obsolete, but they are disappearing nonetheless. You won't find my "Technical Notes on Ramp Metering" on the Internet, either. Traffic engineers much younger than I am don't even know the work ever existed.

    What most people don't realize is that the repository of knowledge we know now as the Internet could vanish in an historical instant. The only previous event of comparable scale to civilization's compendium of knowledge was the torching of the Library of Alexandria by a Christian mob back in the Roman era.

    Some of my most valuable resources of information are books that never made it onto the Internet.

    --Dave J.

    [EDIT]: the customary attribution of the torching of the Library of Alexandria by a Christian mob may be more the product of proud church historians than of actual history: Wikipedia provides a much broader and more skeptical view. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria .....Nonetheless, my point is clear: the Internet should not be viewed as the repository of all knowledge, there are political forces which would gladly wipe it out. Keep as many print books as you can.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    Sadly, Aziz has stopped biting the bait. French denizens of the forum, it's your turn now! After you've recovered from the laughter of course.

    --Dave J.

    PS: I'm amazed that I got away with this for so long.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave J. View Post
    Eric probably smelled this coming on when he saw my post #402 in this thread, but I see he's stayed out of it. You obviously didn't make the connection. Meanwhile, someone in France has gotta be laughing so hard that their champagne is becoming spumante.

    Aziz, it's been a lot of fun giving you a hard time, because you earned it fair and square with your post #401. You've been a good sport about it and I thank you for that.

    As you grow older, if you're paying attention you'll discover that you're not the only smart person on the planet. What's worse, you'll discover that you're not nearly as smart as you thought you were. Welcome to the real world.

    I gotta get back to work now.

    --Dave J.
    Sorry Dave, I don't understand what you intend to say.

    But I know for sure, that I'm the smartest guy on the universe! *LOL*
    (Joking of course).

    Ok, I'll take it easy and won't get upset.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    Eric probably smelled this coming on when he saw my post #402 in this thread, but I see he's stayed out of it. You obviously didn't make the connection. Meanwhile, someone in France has gotta be laughing so hard that their champagne is becoming spumante.

    Aziz, it's been a lot of fun giving you a hard time, because you earned it fair and square with your post #401. You've been a good sport about it and I thank you for that.

    As you grow older, if you're paying attention you'll discover that you're not the only smart person on the planet. What's worse, you'll discover that you're not nearly as smart as you thought you were. Welcome to the real world.

    I gotta get back to work now.

    --Dave J.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    Aziz, that's an achievement in theology that centuries of medieval theologians tried and failed at. Ain't the Fish Equation wonderful?? Congratulations!

    So far I only caught one fish, but I didn't eat it, I tossed it back in the water. Thus have I caught the same fish with the same bait how many times now? The Fish Equation is the foundation of the Aziz Equation. This has been a lot of fun because I knew you would be in denial. Your post at the top of page 17 tipped your hand.

    --Dave J.

    [OFF-TOPIC]: On that Gospel of Mark thing, it's the most important work of literature in the history of the Western world, and it's only about a 2 hour read for the average reader. No need to be that uneducated about culture and history, you can find it online in almost any language on the planet. It's a helluva story. And don't worry, it's safe to read it, its content is not of a sort that's going to make anyone want to rush off to church any time soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave J. View Post
    What's the probability of zero angels dancing on the head of a pin?
    Ok, this is specially for you:

    P(angles existing) = 0
    P(zero angles existing) = 1
    P(head of a pin existing) = 1
    P(angles can dance) = 0
    P(dancing on the head of a pin) = 1 (why not )

    P(zero angels dancing on the head of a pin) = 1
    *LOL*
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave J. View Post
    Just giving examples of the generality of the Fish Equation, so general that it's the foundation of the Aziz Equation. That's why I posted about it, it's very on-topic. Doesn't have anything to do with theology.

    Wait a minute, maybe it does! What's the probability of zero angels dancing on the head of a pin?

    --Dave J.
    No!, your examples are too fishy im my opinion.
    Although, I like BBQ'ed fish very much.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    Just giving examples of the generality of the Fish Equation, so general that it's the foundation of the Aziz Equation. That's why I posted about it, it's very on-topic. Doesn't have anything to do with theology.

    Wait a minute, maybe it does! What's the probability of zero angels dancing on the head of a pin?

    --Dave J.

    PS: I've also used the Fish Equation to calculate meteorological persistence from climatic data, back before I got into metal detectors. In most climates, meteorological persistence is about 2.3 days, the basic periodicity resulting from the passage of pressure systems being 2 pi that figure, or 14.5 days on the average. That's why for example during the August monsoon season in El Paso, there are on the average two major episodes of wet weather lasting several days each.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave J. View Post
    Aziz went trolling for fish and caught two. I went trolling for fish and only caught one. What was the probability of zero?

    Betting that P(fish) not = zero has thousands of years of history. Jesus went trolling for fish and caught two (Mark 6:38 ). In another instance (Mark 8:7) he went trolling for fish and caught "a few". He was betting that the probability of zero was pretty low. The Galilean disciples were passable as fishermen but really sucked at calculating odds. In 8:21 Jesus berates them, "you guys are dunderheads."

    --Dave J.
    Dave,

    I'm a truly atheist. I don't really know the story of the fishermen.
    But that's going to be off-topic.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Ufox,

    I did forget to say:
    "It's the end of Greedlab!"
    *LOL*

    Aziz,
    the majik madman *LOL*

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    Aziz went trolling for fish and caught two. I went trolling for fish and only caught one. What was the probability of zero?

    Betting that P(fish) not = zero has thousands of years of history. Jesus went trolling for fish and caught two (Mark 6:38 ). In another instance (Mark 8:7) he went trolling for fish and caught "a few". He was betting that the probability of zero was pretty low. The Galilean disciples were passable as fishermen but really sucked at calculating odds. In 8:21 Jesus berates them, "you guys are dunderheads."

    --Dave J.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul99 View Post
    But true of you Asif. How is the "Worlds Worst Ground Balance" going? We haven't been hearing much of it lately.

    Re Robby_H, I understand that on his last visit for a check-up, his doctor told him he has to stop laughing as much as he has been. So, to avoid the cause of his laughter he has had to avoid reading posts from blokes like you, Dud and Majik Smoke on the various forums. I understand there has been some patent he read recently that has caused him to relapse into further uncontrollable laughter. I am hoping that at some time in the future he can regain a straight face.
    UFox,

    you're merely jealous, that the real "General VRM Theorem"(c)(r)(tm) hasn't been found by Mr. Candy.
    You know, I still have the WBGB. Who really else could have it?
    Oh man!, a lot of scientific papers were written to the garbage bin.
    A lot of patents were written to the garbage bin too.

    Aziz,
    the real inventor of the "General VRM Theorem"(c)(r)(tm)

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul99
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Thats a fishy explanation. *LOL
    Aziz
    But true of you Asif. How is the "Worlds Worst Ground Balance" going? We haven't been hearing much of it lately.

    Re Robby_H, I understand that on his last visit for a check-up, his doctor told him he has to stop laughing as much as he has been. So, to avoid the cause of his laughter he has had to avoid reading posts from blokes like you, Dud and Majik Smoke on the various forums. I understand there has been some patent he read recently that has caused him to relapse into further uncontrollable laughter. I am hoping that at some time in the future he can regain a straight face.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dave J.
    replied
    But an accurate one.

    Good to see you enjoying the thread again.

    --Dave J.

    PS: I was building working ground balancing PI's nearly 30 years ago. Alas, I didn't recognize the potential of the technology for gold prospecting, and we dropped the ball. We've done pretty good with VLF, though.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X