The screen on the XLT stayed blank when powered on. The tech replaced the LCD screen, screen cover, pod housing, membrane panels and contact switches. Also replaced some gaskets and installed a new coil connector along with the replacing the 950 coil. I had sent the XLT in previously in 1999 because the screen would constantly keep scrolling on start-up. At that time it was still under warranty. The tech told then the coil was bad and needed to be replaced. I don't ever remember using the 950 since then.
The IDX ran okay. But the black sand circuit didn't shift the discrimination level. It operated the same as in the normal switch position. Also the speaker wasn't working. I used it successfully with headphones. The only reason I sent it in was to get the black sand switch/circuit checked out. If that hadn't been a problem I could have replace the speaker myself.
I usually run the 5.3, 800 or the BigFoot coil on both the XLT and IDX. I sure wish Jim Karbowski with Applied Creativity had kept better notes. I would like a BigFoot for my MXT Pro but aftermarket ones sell for $400 - $500 now when you can find one. This seems like a market that needs a new supplier and not just for the White's lineup. The BigFoot coil isn't deep but for recent drops and ring hunting on large fields there is nothing better that I've used. I know Tesoro has a BigFoot type coil but I haven't heard to many positive remarks about it.
I'm not sure what type of electronics or loop configuration (other than what I've read in your book and on Geotech) were used on the BigFoot to stop the EMI effects. But I wish First Texas (Dave J. and Co.) would come up with something similar to partially solve the T2 / F75 EMI issues. Turing down the sensitivity and threshold does help in some areas. However when your in a urban area surrounded by overhead lines on two or more sides within a one block radius the F75 is useless. I really like the ergonomics and lighter weight of my Fisher F75E but the EMI issues are a handicap and frustrating to deal with in the field. I usually take both the MXT and the F75 with me and sometimes the IDX cause if it is a location with EMI issues because the IDX is rarely affected by EMI.
Alan F.
Originally posted by Carl-NC
View Post
Leave a comment: