Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PI noise

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Put as much as possible in the box and shield it
    you may have to buy a family size pizza, and just use alfoil that you use in the kitchen to cover it, its cheap.

    You could also do some experiments for your own interest and progressively shield a section at a time, which would be very easy to do, just wrap a part of the project with plastic kitchen wrap so no shorts and then alfoil , srunch the foil to make a cocoon and ground the foil.

    Leave a comment:


  • Orbit
    replied
    It is still a big job before thee ! All the best !

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    Shield just the preamp or which parts to include in the shield?
    Put as much as possible in the box and shield it
    you may have to buy a family size pizza, and just use alfoil that you use in the kitchen to cover it, its cheap.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Shield just the preamp or which parts to include in the shield?

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    A quick and dirty shield for testing
    Attach ground wire to project
    put project in pizza box (cardboard) extend ground wire and probes etc, some pizza boxs already have holes in sides
    close box, cover box in aluminium foil, srunch foil making sure all foil is electrically touching, connect ground wire to foil and test
    eat pizza.

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    ...paint can ?? ... not very ergonomic. If you must use household items then use a biscuit tin or cake tin that has a lid. Square biscuit tin is best ...solder wire from lid to box and to ground ... cut or punch holes for wires to come out.line the tin with plastic so shorts wont happen. Winner winner chicken dinner.☺

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    Been reading on measuring amplifier noise. One option using a scope. Measure peak-peak noise/6/gain/Fc^.5. Another suggestion was to put the circuits in an empty metal paint can. Including some measurements, does anyone see something that I should do different before I try the paint can? Inputs jumpered. Changed C to vary the cutoff frequency for A2(PI_noise_4)
    Hi Green


    One time at work I lined the inside of a wooden box with screen wire. The inside of the hinged lid was covered also. I cut a few notches below the lid for the test leads. I grounded it to the scope cabinet ground. It worked great.


    Have a good day,
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Been reading on measuring amplifier noise. One option using a scope. Measure peak-peak noise/6/gain/Fc^.5. Another suggestion was to put the circuits in an empty metal paint can. Including some measurements, does anyone see something that I should do different before I try the paint can? Inputs jumpered. Changed C to vary the cutoff frequency for A2(PI_noise_4)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by green; 06-29-2016, 08:10 PM. Reason: added sentence

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    ... yup ... just like the USS Enterprise ... shields up !

    Click image for larger version

Name:	sheild.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	346027

    I have reused this shielding maybe over 100 times. Just use very short tinned wire to fix "lid" on. Soldered the connectors to the PCB also. Cut the PCB using a $15 paper guillotine.
    Last edited by moodz; 06-29-2016, 01:22 PM. Reason: update

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I have a magnifying lamp with a cfl bulb and a cheap lamp dimmer to control power for the soldering iron. Both need to be turned off when a coil is connected to the preamp. See no difference in the signal at post amplifier out (E) if they are on or off if the preamp input is shorted. I was assuming I was looking at amplifier noise with the input shorted. Maybe not.

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    ...hmm yes ... I would have to agree with Eric. I would recommend a good ground plane in addition to any shielding .. there practically no other option for low noise amplifier work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    The circuit was put together as a learning platform. Didn't have SMD adapters for the control circuit and coil driver. They have made it a lot easier to wire the circuit.
    From looking at the picture, your setup is much too open and you are bound to pick up noise from external sources. Here in UK, it is surprising how much radio noise there is a low frequencies, even a few broadcast stations still exist between 200kHz and 170kHz. And then there is the radio clock control signals at 100kHz. All of this can create havoc with noise measurements, plus there is a huge amount of impulse noise.

    At the very least put the preamp in a screened box with coax for the input from coil driver and/or coil. Also use a small figure 8 coil, again shielded if possible in a plastic project box that has been sprayed with an emc graphite coating. Any long leads from power supplies should have rf filters where they enter screened boxes housing electronics. All long leads act as antennas.

    I have found that computers need to be off and also the power supply for my temperature controlled soldering iron. Wall plug switch mode psu's also often radiate noise.

    Without taking these precautions you will be forever chasing your tail.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by moodz View Post
    ..would you be able to post a picture of the physical circuit ( as built ) ? Thanks.
    The circuit was put together as a learning platform. Didn't have SMD adapters for the control circuit and coil driver. They have made it a lot easier to wire the circuit.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    ..would you be able to post a picture of the physical circuit ( as built ) ? Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    Hi Mick, Thanks for the reply. Some more scope pictures. Sampling seems to be the problem. I'm thinking sampling with an A to D would be the same. Maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong. The AD797 specs look real good. Need to try a SFT1440 isolation switch suggested by mickstv to get the input resistance low. Every thing I've tried hasn't worked. The reason I'm using a diff amp with an IB coil. I still think aliasing is causing the problem but hope it's not and there is a way to lower the noise I get from sampling.
    The second scope picture PI_noise_4, integrator bypassed doesn't look right. I connected amplifier out to the integrator 3k input resistor causing it to saturate the direct coupled portion, no 1/f signal. Including a trace connected right.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X