Amplification only amplifies the wideband noise and the inband signal for no benefit unless you call making the noise bigger a benefit.
When the signal is under the noise then a preamp is more than useless.
So on my WORKING detector that does use a lockin amplifier ( read up on lockin amplifier reserve ) I have a real reserve of 112 dB ... which means it can pull a signal from 112 dB from below the noise level. Commercial lockin amps can pull a signal from 120 dB below the noise level so I am almost on par.
In the picture below I turn on the LED lighting in the lab for about 10 seconds then off again .... you can see the inband interferance coming from the lighting ... dont need a preamp on the ADC. The target signal ( 10 decimal digits in the upper left corner VA corresponds to 180 db of signal range but only the last digit is changing with low noise )



Leave a comment: