Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My humble take on Proximity (PLL) design

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My humble take on Proximity (PLL) design

    Hello boys!

    It's been a while since I contributed a little thing to the forum and I apologize for that.


    After installing the components, the circuit wasn't working at all except for the oscillator
    ​ part and I got a frequency of about 96.6 kHz at the TX point. So I had to dig deeper into it. This is going to be a two parter:

    Part 1:
    I found out that the voltage at pin#9 of IC1, where it should be Ideally 3V (half of the supply voltage 6 V), was near zero. Which means the IC (CD4046) was "out of lock". Therefore, I had to replace R7 with a 100k pot to raise the minimum frequency for the VCO. After turning the pot to almost mid way -around 47k- the circuit came to life. However, it was only detecting big objects. In fact, the background sound faded away when I got a tiny metal object near the sensor. And that's what the second part is going to be about.

    Part 2:
    The reason that the coil wasn't sensing tiny metals is because the voltage at the base (0.7V) was lower than the emitter (1.2V) of Q1. So I knew I had to mess with R1, R2 (Q1 base voltage) and R3 (the emitter voltage)​ in order for me to get the voltage of the base to be higher than the emitter voltage by exactly 0.7 V which is the bias point (Vbe) of the transistor I'm using for Q1 (2N2222). The changes to the mentioned resistors were as follows: R1= 10k, R2= 10k pot, and R3= 2k pot. So I managed to make the voltage at the base 1.9 V and at the emitter 1.2 V and now you bet the circuit was fully functional!

    Unfortunately I didn't desolder the pots so I can not give you the exact values for the resistors But at least now you know where to look (R1, R2, R3, R7)

    I hope either one of the authors of ITMD3 can verify this.

    Attached is the worst lay file design for the circuit!

    Cheers,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nightryder; 03-12-2026, 02:38 AM.

  • #2
    I forgot to mention that after finishing from doing (the second part) I had to re-adjust R7 by a little because the voltage went up a bit.

    Comment

    Working...
    X