Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying a different search engine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying a different search engine

    I've changed the forum Search to use Google search instead. This allows short words and quoted phrases, like "PI discrimination". It also allows negated words such as

    Foster -Eric

    will find posts that have Jeff Foster and E. Foster but not Eric Foster.

    What you lose are date ranges and author options.

    This is a trial. Please try it out and see if you like it.

  • #2
    I found that I was missing some of the features of the built-in search engine. So I restored it, and added an option in the results page to continue on to use Google search:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	21
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	453048​
    Just click on the Google link. You may find that your phrase is not literally preserved in the Google search. When I searched for "concentric coil" (including the quotes) and then jumped to Google, the quotes got dropped and I had to add them back in.

    Anyway, now you have the not-so-great vBulletin search, and with one more click you get a Google search.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is there any way to increase the number of search results returned in vBulletin? For instance if you search "integrator " you only get 4 pages. The oldest result is 2023, we know there is many discussions for integrators going back to the 2000's. Same if you search for posts from a active member that post multiple times a week. The search results will return only 4 pages which may all be during 2026. I was testing the google search and getting results from 2007, 2010 etc. Thanks for your efforts!

      Comment


      • #4
        Search was limited to 100 results by default. I increased it to 10,000 so try again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow, 45 pages for "integrator", Thanks

          Comment

          Working...
          X