Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PI5 from ITMD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • raygdunn
    replied
    Originally posted by geoscash1 View Post
    Ok,

    after a brief hiatus from this stuff I am going to get back on this and try to figure out what to do. I think my redraw of the schematic on pin 6/7 of the 555 is the problem like you guys mentioned above so that is where my focus will be in the track down of the issue.

    I have been away for a bit because I am now battling a new health issue, cancer of the colon, I just had surgery (removed 16 inches of my upper colon, had a tumor the size of an apple in there) and am in the healing process before moving to the next phase of repairing myself.

    Anxious to get working on this since I will have some home time to mess around with it....

    Here is a pic of the pcb with what I think is where the correction needs to be?
    [ATTACH]37290[/ATTACH]
    Hi geoscash1,

    I don't think this is the bug you are looking for. The connections that you want for the 555 is Q's, the one on the right in his earlier posting above. Pins 6 and 7 look correct on your PCB image, without change, I think.

    I breadboarded mine some time back, so wouldn't have encountered the problem.

    So sorry to hear of your problem. I hope that I won't be following in your footsteps. I'm in in the queue (6 month waiting list!) for a colonoscopy at the moment. God what it is to get old...

    Ray

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Back at it!

    Ok,

    after a brief hiatus from this stuff I am going to get back on this and try to figure out what to do. I think my redraw of the schematic on pin 6/7 of the 555 is the problem like you guys mentioned above so that is where my focus will be in the track down of the issue.

    I have been away for a bit because I am now battling a new health issue, cancer of the colon, I just had surgery (removed 16 inches of my upper colon, had a tumor the size of an apple in there) and am in the healing process before moving to the next phase of repairing myself.

    Anxious to get working on this since I will have some home time to mess around with it....

    Here is a pic of the pcb with what I think is where the correction needs to be?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PI5 correction pin 6 to pin 7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	572.9 KB
ID:	346644
    Last edited by geoscash1; 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM. Reason: forgot to add pic

    Leave a comment:


  • raygdunn
    replied
    PI-5

    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Ray did you make the headphone version or the speaker version ?
    What battery voltage did you use ?
    I used my usual old Sony headset. Wired in Serial for about 68ohm total resistance. I'm fairly sure l read somewhere, probably the book, that the voltage should not exceed 9V.

    Ray

    Leave a comment:


  • raygdunn
    replied
    Originally posted by Polymer View Post
    Hi Raygdunn,

    Thanks for your positive feedback on the PI5!

    I'm more interested in the audio part of the PI5 than in the sensitivity.
    How is the sound reaction of the PI5 for you? Do you like it?

    Perhaps there somehow is a way to make differences in decay times audible with simple techniques.

    Cheerio, Polymer
    Hi Polymer,
    Sorry this reply is so late. I've only just found the posts.
    From what I remember, it's the regular harsh square wave beep.

    The book designs are there to be played with☺ If I remember, it's been a while, I think this microprocessor was near its storage limit.

    (I'd like to get into the programming side sometime, but it's picking one to learn about, probably needs to be a 32 bit. I have an STM32L0536-DISCO board, which proved to be a bad choice. Low power, includes a display, buttons LEDs etc. Sounds great, but software not pleasant and all the ADC connection seemed to be used for the demo facilities, so didn't get anywhere useful. Also the ePaper display, whilst permanent display until updated, takes a second or more to update)

    Ray

    Leave a comment:


  • Polymer
    replied
    Thanks for your replies!

    No worries Qiaozhi, the left-hand schematic is not from you

    I got the left sided schematic from post #46.

    @geoscash
    This might the cause of the problem you've been having with your build.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Polymer View Post
    I have started to work my way through the schematic to put it onto a stripboard and came across what might be an error.
    It's the left side of the 555 timer pin 7, 6 & 2 the setup appears different. These schematics are from this thread. I don't know which one came from Qiaozhi per mail, yes I got my files mixed up

    So which one would be the right one?

    @raygdunn: which schematic did you use?

    cheerio and thank you

    [ATTACH]35180[/ATTACH]
    I don't know where the left-hand schematic is from, but it's not one of mine.
    Clearly there is a wiring error there.
    The right-hand schematic is the correct one.

    Leave a comment:


  • DOOLEY
    replied
    hello polymer,

    had a quick look at your 2 pics,

    the one on the left with the green lines,
    the 12k is feeding pin 6, should be pin 7,
    going to suspect (pretty sure really) the left hand pic wont even "RUN" !!!


    right hand pic looks better.........

    Leave a comment:


  • Polymer
    replied
    I have started to work my way through the schematic to put it onto a stripboard and came across what might be an error.
    It's the left side of the 555 timer pin 7, 6 & 2 the setup appears different. These schematics are from this thread. I don't know which one came from Qiaozhi per mail, yes I got my files mixed up

    So which one would be the right one?

    @raygdunn: which schematic did you use?

    cheerio and thank you

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PI5_Question_555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	344991

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by raygdunn View Post
    Hi Polymer,

    The PI-5 does work, I've still got it on a breadboard here (less some peripheral wiring removed for use with a Barracuda board ☺ ). However I did find sensitivity very much less than the PI-1 in my case and focussed on that one instead. Maybe it just needed some tweaking...




    (The schematic must either be the major revision emailed by Qiaozhi, earlier in this thread, or the corrected version in the revision 2 print of the book, if it's out yet)


    Ray
    Ray did you make the headphone version or the speaker version ?
    What battery voltage did you use ?

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    here is the sprint file
    feel free to modify
    3.zip

    the are changes to made, look some postings before

    Leave a comment:


  • Polymer
    replied
    Hi Raygdunn,

    Thanks for your positive feedback on the PI5!

    I'm more interested in the audio part of the PI5 than in the sensitivity.
    How is the sound reaction of the PI5 for you? Do you like it?

    Perhaps there somehow is a way to make differences in decay times audible with simple techniques.

    Cheerio, Polymer

    Leave a comment:


  • raygdunn
    replied
    Hi Polymer,

    The PI-5 does work, I've still got it on a breadboard here (less some peripheral wiring removed for use with a Barracuda board ☺ ). However I did find sensitivity very much less than the PI-1 in my case and focussed on that one instead. Maybe it just needed some tweaking...


    (The schematic must either be the major revision emailed by Qiaozhi, earlier in this thread, or the corrected version in the revision 2 print of the book, if it's out yet)


    Ray

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    thx i was stupid t make this layout after this scheme i have (cant see this on original scheme IC4 pin14 and pin7)

    there are missing Connections, you are right so i will check all ic´s for non connected Pins

    alos ic1 pin8 (ok that could be easy connected by a wire Bridge) you see i am not a pro in layouting
    double sided would be easier but it is not good for diy homebrew methods (i get always a Little Offset by double sided pcb)

    i think we can make it work together, thanks for reading here

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    pin 14 (VDD) goes to +VB
    pin 7 (VSS) goes to -VB

    Thanks but Not on the layout, they go nowhere, thats why I was asking.

    Leave a comment:


  • Polymer
    replied
    I'm still interested too. I have all the components, but have yet to make the layout for a stripboard.

    What's getting me slow to do this, is not being sure if the schematic of PI-5 really works and I
    don't have enough knowledge to check the complete circuit theoretically ...

    Getting some of the components would be difficult for me if I fry them.

    I appreciate your trail blazing on this geoscash1 & bernte_one!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X