Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PI5 from ITMD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Polymer
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    The circuit is connected between the +VB and -VB rails, so the connection to -VB is correct.
    The virtual ground is only used by the preamp because it's used in a dual supply configuration. It simply removes the need to generate an extra negative supply voltage.

    If you think this is difficult, try getting your head around the power supply configuration of the Hammerhead.
    Uh Oh That is why it is called the Hammer-Head, huh?

    Thanks for your reply, it helped - my head feels better
    Last edited by Polymer; 01-27-2016, 08:21 PM. Reason: After Hammer Heading forgot text

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Polymer View Post
    Thank you Qiaozhi! Got that.

    Another question to the circuit PI-5:

    In the schematic PIN 5 of both 555 timers are now connected via C=100nF to -VB. The data book says connect to GND via the C. This has me confused.
    Is -VB = GND in this case?
    Does it matter? Please do explain

    Just can't get my head around that virtual ground stuff, yet ... aaarrrgggghhh ....
    The circuit is connected between the +VB and -VB rails, so the connection to -VB is correct.
    The virtual ground is only used by the preamp because it's used in a dual supply configuration. It simply removes the need to generate an extra negative supply voltage.

    If you think this is difficult, try getting your head around the power supply configuration of the Hammerhead.

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    You only need to use 2 wires - the middle wire, and one of the outer wires. Which outer wire to use depends on which way you want the pot to react. i.e. do you want the delay to increase when you turn the knob to the right or to the left.

    Does the circuit work with headphones and no audio stage?
    Nope, it sure don't now.. not sure if I destroyed something else or not, will have to pull parts and replace with new ones to see. It for sure melted Q3 and burned the 10R (r17) in half with power on for maybe, I mean maybe 3 seconds tops, it was blazing fast no pun intended...lol

    I went over every trace and connection to make sure, double checking connections based on the latest schematic you sent me and as far as I can tell, it is right on.
    So not sure where to go at this point or even really how to test it any farther other than the outputs of the 555's, op amp and transistors..

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Originally posted by Polymer View Post
    Thank you Qiaozhi! Got that.

    Another question to the circuit PI-5:

    In the schematic PIN 5 of both 555 timers are now connected via C=100nF to -VB. The data book says connect to GND via the C. This has me confused.
    Is -VB = GND in this case?
    Does it matter? Please do explain

    Just can't get my head around that virtual ground stuff, yet ... aaarrrgggghhh ....

    Me neither......lol

    Leave a comment:


  • Polymer
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    The updated PI-5 schematic (sent to those that requested it) was created prior to ITMD Second Edition being released. The circuit posted by Geocash is from the book. Hence the slight differences.

    If you're not using the control voltage input (pin 5) on a 555, you can add a small capacitor (usually 10nF to 100nF) to 0V to prevent intereference. I typically add the capacitor if the 555 is being used as a monostable, but it's not always necessary if being used in astable mode. Depends on the application. Here (in the TX oscillator) you don't need it, but you can add it if it makes you feel better.
    Thank you Qiaozhi! Got that.

    Another question to the circuit PI-5:

    In the schematic PIN 5 of both 555 timers are now connected via C=100nF to -VB. The data book says connect to GND via the C. This has me confused.
    Is -VB = GND in this case?
    Does it matter? Please do explain

    Just can't get my head around that virtual ground stuff, yet ... aaarrrgggghhh ....

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    just started

    so far may design attached
    Click image for larger version

Name:	begin.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	344483

    some missing connection on 4011 (12,11,13) i will continue tomorrow have to sleep

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by geoscash1 View Post
    Hi bernte,

    Well, I'm a pretty driven kinda guy so I don't give up easy....lol ... I'll keep playing with this until I get it working, hopefully that will be sometime in my lifetime...

    Here is a pic of how I have it currently wired with the pots, I wanted both of them front panel so there is no trimmers on board. But in the schematics,
    R16 has pins/pads 2 and 3 connected and on R18 pins/pads 1 and 2 connected so it splits the connections on the pots but do they still need 3 wires or just 2 and only connected to 2 pins on the pots and which 2? That's what confuses the hell outta me at times....lol..

    I do use the data sheets, I have a pile of them in a folder on my desk top so I reference them on everything...good to have them on hand..

    p.s. "if all three pins are wired the pot acts as voltage divider" That is something I did not know, thanks for sharing that..

    [ATTACH]34920[/ATTACH]
    You only need to use 2 wires - the middle wire, and one of the outer wires. Which outer wire to use depends on which way you want the pot to react. i.e. do you want the delay to increase when you turn the knob to the right or to the left.

    Does the circuit work with headphones and no audio stage?

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Hi bernte,

    Well, I'm a pretty driven kinda guy so I don't give up easy....lol ... I'll keep playing with this until I get it working, hopefully that will be sometime in my lifetime...

    Here is a pic of how I have it currently wired with the pots, I wanted both of them front panel so there is no trimmers on board. But in the schematics,
    R16 has pins/pads 2 and 3 connected and on R18 pins/pads 1 and 2 connected so it splits the connections on the pots but do they still need 3 wires or just 2 and only connected to 2 pins on the pots and which 2? That's what confuses the hell outta me at times....lol..

    I do use the data sheets, I have a pile of them in a folder on my desk top so I reference them on everything...good to have them on hand..

    p.s. "if all three pins are wired the pot acts as voltage divider" That is something I did not know, thanks for sharing that..

    Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring pi5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	344480

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    for pot use
    on outer and the middle pin act as variable resistor (hind- good possibility to find right value for damping resistor)

    if all three pins are wired the pot acts as voltage divider

    geocash dont give up i have burned most of my itmd pi projects

    but if you connect parts with variable connection for example 2n3904 or bc... please take the data sheet from manufacturer
    googles first results are often good but for sure lokk the data sheet

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Wont that cut off the output signal from the 4011 all together, or is that just to see if it stops the 3904 and 10r from burning?

    Let me ask you a question, I set up R16 and R18 as external panel pots, how would you connect them? I did them with 3 wires, with the third leg of
    pots to the labeled end of the pcb label where it arrows to #3, should they only use 2 wires?

    Dammit, I hate it when I get confused with these dogon pots and how they wire to the boards. 2 wires, 3 wires, 2 pads connected 1 individual, or 3 individual pads.... uhhhggg..

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by geoscash1 View Post
    I tested everything as I built it.

    It is at the end of the build, the audio portion that seems to have an issue. when powered up, it almost instantly burns up the 10R (R17) and the 2N3904 (Q3). I started thinking the 3904 maybe backwards but checking the pinout it seems correct (123/ebc left to right from back) so I don't know how to trouble shoot it from this point.

    added a pic of my board, a redrawn schematic and bom.

    [ATTACH]34915[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]34916[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]34917[/ATTACH]
    Try disconnecting R16 (the 5k preset) at the base of Q3 (2N3904).

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    I tested everything as I built it.

    It is at the end of the build, the audio portion that seems to have an issue. when powered up, it almost instantly burns up the 10R (R17) and the 2N3904 (Q3). I started thinking the 3904 maybe backwards but checking the pinout it seems correct (123/ebc left to right from back) so I don't know how to trouble shoot it from this point.

    added a pic of my board, a redrawn schematic and bom.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PI5 board.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	344475
    PI5 pcb - schematic & bom.pdf
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PI 5 revision redraw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	344477

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Polymer View Post
    Geotech,

    Hmmm, I just compared your schematic with the one I got from George and there is one difference :

    Pin 5 (CONT) of IC3 (555) is NOT connected in my schematic!

    The capacitor numbering is also different in mine, C6 I have twice!!!??? But C values are the same as in your schematic.

    From what I have read about the 555, pin 5 should be connected to GND with 10nF when not used.

    GEORGE, what has happened here
    The updated PI-5 schematic (sent to those that requested it) was created prior to ITMD Second Edition being released. The circuit posted by Geocash is from the book. Hence the slight differences.

    If you're not using the control voltage input (pin 5) on a 555, you can add a small capacitor (usually 10nF to 100nF) to 0V to prevent intereference. I typically add the capacitor if the 555 is being used as a monostable, but it's not always necessary if being used in astable mode. Depends on the application. Here (in the TX oscillator) you don't need it, but you can add it if it makes you feel better.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by bernte_one View Post
    p.s. this 5minute timeout for wrinting sucks
    There is no timeout enabled on the Geotech forum. It must be a problem with your browser.
    Have you ticked the "Keep me logged in" box?

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    just an idea, i checked a web based pcb design there we can also order pcb with Option for assembly (maybe all resistor and ic sockets pre-installed)
    easyeda.com pcb desgin, schematic design, circuit Simulation

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X