Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concept Design

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    That's wha I got asking https://chat.openai.com/chat
    Already I'm not impressed, ChatGPT apparently didn't bother to read the data sheets. The ADS1256 is only 30kSps. The results I got were:

    ChatGPT is at capacity right now

    There are 2 potential paths. Direct sampling will require a 16+ bit fast (100K-1MSps) single-channel ADC. Analog demods require a slower ADC (1kSps or so) but with up to 8 preferably simultaneous-sampling channels. Right now I am looking only at direct sampling but will leave in hooks for analog demods.

    Leave a comment:


  • Willy Bayot
    replied
    Originally posted by waltr View Post

    Need to go back to what Carl said about why he desired a mulit-channel ADC.
    What I remember is this multi-channel can be slower.

    So maybe use one (or two) high speed (1-2Msps) and deep 18-24bit, for direct sampling.
    Then add another multi-channel ADC for those other tasks.
    We just need a single channel with high conversion rate.
    All the other tasks may be executed from the internal 12-bit ADC

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    1. ADS1256: This is a 24-bit ADC with 8 channels and a maximum sample rate of 8 million samples per second (MSPS). It supports SPI communication.
    2. LTC2440: This is a 24-bit ADC with 8 channels and a maximum sample rate of 1.8 MSPS. It supports SPI communication.
    3. ADS1115: This is a 16-bit ADC with 4 channels and a maximum sample rate of 860 samples per second. It supports I2C and SPI communication.
    4. MCP3551: This is a 24-bit ADC with 1 channel and a maximum sample rate of 500 kSPS. It supports SPI communication.
    ​
    Need to go back to what Carl said about why he desired a mulit-channel ADC.
    What I remember is this multi-channel can be slower.

    So maybe use one (or two) high speed (1-2Msps) and deep 18-24bit, for direct sampling.
    Then add another multi-channel ADC for those other tasks.

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Willy Bayot
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Bayot View Post
    SUGGESTED Modular Architecture
    • PSU board
      • Analog +5V,-5V,
      • Digital +3V
      • MOSFET drivers 15V
      • Adjustable XMIT Voltage 1 to 3V
    • XMIT Board CC circuit (+ compensation)
    • Processing platform (NUCLEO)
      • Daughter board (ARDUINO connectors) with RECEIVE Circuits and external ADC
      • Timing
      • DSP
      • HIM board
        • Simple Display interface ( HD44780 20×4 LCD)
        • few LED's and push buttons or joystick
        • SD Card storage
          • Signal data logging
          • System Parameters​
      • Serial Debug Control & Logging

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Bayot View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	242
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	409580​

    That's what I got at https://chat.openai.com/chat
    Obviously it is not that smart...

    Leave a comment:


  • Willy Bayot
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post

    Carl convinced me that 2 channels were insufficient, 4 would get the job done and 8 is preferable.
    .
    ​
    One channel is sufficient for DIRE CT SAMPLING

    Leave a comment:


  • Willy Bayot
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    1. ADS1256: 30kSPS
    2. LTC2440: Up to 3.5kHz Output Rate .
    3. ADS1115: • Programmable Data Rate: 8 SPS to 860 SPS
    4. MCP3551: conversion time 73msec.
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    After 12-th attempt I got more/less simillar lists. So...

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    That's wha I got asking https://chat.openai.com/chat

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    1. ADS1256: This is a 24-bit ADC with 8 channels and a maximum sample rate of 8 million samples per second (MSPS). It supports SPI communication.
    2. LTC2440: This is a 24-bit ADC with 8 channels and a maximum sample rate of 1.8 MSPS. It supports SPI communication.
    3. ADS1115: This is a 16-bit ADC with 4 channels and a maximum sample rate of 860 samples per second. It supports I2C and SPI communication.
    4. MCP3551: This is a 24-bit ADC with 1 channel and a maximum sample rate of 500 kSPS. It supports SPI communication.
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Here, I listed roughly 6 criteria. If I were to throw out even one; something would be found.
    But what tradeoff can be accepted here?
    Carl convinced me that 2 channels were insufficient, 4 would get the job done and 8 is preferable.
    24-bit is somehow the "holy grail"... 16-bit is a much easier criterion. 18-bit can be found with another tradeoff along.
    Connection... serial is the only one that fits. And to be as fast as possible.
    Power supply... is not an insignificant item.
    Things would be much simpler if all voltages were in the range of 5v, but there are none, so 3v3 is also acceptable.
    Anything below that will require additional complications around PS.
    There is literally no chip that would meet all the listed criteria.
    What is the "harm" if you go with 16-bit? Or with 18-bit?
    There are better chances to find a chip with these resolutions.
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Bayot View Post

    from 2400 SPS up to 19,200 SPS
    Sorry but much too slow for direct sampling
    Yes I overlooked that!
    Dang!
    I'm on the Mouser and Analog Devices pages right now... using the "filtered" search engine, looking for specs that meet the criteria.
    Hmmm... this is my first time doing this with details. And I'm very surprised that there is actually no such ADC that meets the top criteria!
    And that would be:
    1) 24-bit
    2) At least 4 and preferably 8 channels
    3) Not below 500ksps
    4) "Simple and easy" connection means; no parallel, only and exclusively serial. Preferably SPI.
    5) Sigma-Delta or SAR
    6) Voltages not bellow 3v3
    ...
    No such one on those sites...

    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • Willy Bayot
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    What about this one:

    that module is produced here by local company, so I guess it's the best I can obtain/afford from all listed so far.
    It would not be bad to look at the entire website of that company, they also offer development systems.
    https://www.mikroe.com

    If you find something more suitable on that site; post here, even better!
    from 2400 SPS up to 19,200 SPS
    Sorry but much too slow for direct sampling

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    What about this one:

    that module is produced here by local company, so I guess it's the best I can obtain/afford from all listed so far.
    It would not be bad to look at the entire website of that company, they also offer development systems.
    https://www.mikroe.com

    If you find something more suitable on that site; post here, even better!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X