Originally posted by Carl-NC
View Post
The fast changing magnetic field induces currents in all conductors within its reach.
These currents dissipate by converting into heat due to the resistance. In other words, there is an energy transfer from the TX to the targets.
Big targets like salt or iron ground, a large alu kitchen foil or a 1ounce silver coin absorb a significant amount of energy.
When we look at the peak Flyback voltage when we approach the coil to such a target, we can see tens of Volt difference caused by the target, showing the difference of peak coil current.
With a traditional PI, the TX coil is charged and fully discharged at every cycle. Any loss in peak coil current remains limited to each cycle.
With the bi-polar square wave, the losses add for consecutive cycles. Like a loss of 1mA for a single cycle adds as 100mA for 100 consecutive cycles.
Below is the circuit I used to measure the difference in the peak Flyback voltage. At post #1 of AMX RX.
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum/projects/active-projects/amx-project/408950-amx-rx#post408950
which means it will run at a much higher frequency. 25kHz is the plan, and you get 2 PI responses per cycle so effectively it's 50kHz. I've never seen a PI run above 10kHz (Eric's GoldQuest) so this is substantial. It also offers complete control over the coil current; this initial design is adjustable up to 2A. I'm pretty sure you can build this circuit with any old FETs, including the IRF740. The drawback will be more resistive losses and slower slewing, but it should work fairly well. In the layout I've used SOT23 for Q1/Q2/Q5/Q6 (they can be low VDS parts) and for Q3/Q4 I've placed footprints for TO220, TO247, TO247-4, TO252, TO263, and TO263-7 so folks can shop around for something that will work. Despite the fact that I'm designing for performance by selecting performance parts, I see no reason why the whole thing can't be built with more common parts.
Leave a comment: