Hi.
I ask if the MAGPI V3 can detect a gold in rocks such as quartz!!??
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Moodz' Awesome Gold Pulse Induction Version 3 - MAGPI V3 Project
Collapse
X
-
Hi Ian .. I program it as follows ...Originally posted by IBGold View PostPaul I tried reprogramming the existing 250F by hitting the program button and switching the detector on at the same time and having the detector running then hitting program and all I get is Target Device Not found (Could Not detect Target Voltage VDD) I have tried to PM you but it does not seem to be getting through to you can I give you a ring for instruction.
Regards, Ian.
1. Turn detector ON ( no coil )
2. Connect programmer ( I use Pickit 3 )
3. Program
4. Remove programmer
5. Turn detector off
done.
Call me if you get stuck.
Attached Files
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Paul I tried reprogramming the existing 250F by hitting the program button and switching the detector on at the same time and having the detector running then hitting program and all I get is Target Device Not found (Could Not detect Target Voltage VDD) I have tried to PM you but it does not seem to be getting through to you can I give you a ring for instruction.
Regards, Ian.
Leave a comment:
-
... in the mean time here is a video of the V3 working on the bench. The foil target is varying 70 to 50 cm from the coil.
- Likes 3
Leave a comment:
-
I will but just noticed some other housekeeping edits to do. I just need to get a round 2it I only have square ones.Originally posted by Dean Sarelius View Post
Hi Moodz
Would you be willing to share the source code also..? Reason I am asking is because I have provided extra pin functionality and may wish to use these in the future.
Cheers
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Hi MoodzOriginally posted by moodz View Post....sorry about the delay ... but my clock has days of the week not hours on it
MAGPI008.X.productionV1.2.zip
Here is the HEX file V1.2 for the MAGPI ..
Default audio volume is set to 10 not maximum.
Fixed bugs on audio causing mosquito sound. ... PWM distortion.
Added tone control for audio niceness. ( shifts the tone ... let me know if it needs more range )
Can set Sample starts and widths. ( X sample . S2 and S3 )
X sample is adjustable ( careful ... damping mosfet can overheat in some configurations if you adjust this way outside some timings ).
Improved debounce performance on the rotary encoder :=)
All the LCD readings for timings are in microseconds.
moodz ...
Would you be willing to share the source code also..? Reason I am asking is because I have provided extra pin functionality and may wish to use these in the future.
Cheers
Leave a comment:
-
Originally posted by moodz View Post....sorry about the delay ... but my clock has days of the week not hours on it
MAGPI008.X.productionV1.2.zip
Here is the HEX file V1.2 for the MAGPI ..
Default audio volume is set to 10 not maximum.
Fixed bugs on audio causing mosquito sound. ... PWM distortion.
Added tone control for audio niceness. ( shifts the tone ... let me know if it needs more range )
Can set Sample starts and widths. ( X sample . S2 and S3 )
X sample is adjustable ( careful ... damping mosfet can overheat in some configurations if you adjust this way outside some timings ).
Improved debounce performance on the rotary encoder :=)
All the LCD readings for timings are in microseconds.
moodz ...
Thanks Paul I will see if I can program it with out letting some smoke out you know what I am like with digital stuff LOL.
Regards, Ian.
Leave a comment:
-
....sorry about the delay ... but my clock has days of the week not hours on it
MAGPI008.X.productionV1.2.zip
Here is the HEX file V1.2 for the MAGPI ..
Default audio volume is set to 10 not maximum.
Fixed bugs on audio causing mosquito sound. ... PWM distortion.
Added tone control for audio niceness. ( shifts the tone ... let me know if it needs more range )
Can set Sample starts and widths. ( X sample . S2 and S3 )
X sample is adjustable ( careful ... damping mosfet can overheat in some configurations if you adjust this way outside some timings ).
Improved debounce performance on the rotary encoder :=)
All the LCD readings for timings are in microseconds.
moodz ...Attached Files
- Likes 2
Leave a comment:
-
Hi Tony,Originally posted by tpet93 View Post
Hi Ian are those tests with a scope and adjusting the x sample timing?
my understanding is that the resistance is not so critical as long as it is low, what is more important is the self resonance of the coil which is a product of its inductance and capacitance. Stray capacitance being the biggest variable between coils.
If the coil has too much capacitance it might not be possible to dampen it properly by the 1.6us damping sample programmed in the default firmware.
This can result in a weird waveform and cause high or low signals at rest ( i still dont know how the dc signal gets through the film capacitors)
My coil had an srf of around 540khz, measured using another coil to excite it.
I was able to damp it using the magpi at 2.13us but no earlier. If your x sample is at 1.6us that may be why its not working.
As far as the detech cable goes: it uses a pair of coax cables one of which is unused and unconnected in the mono coil. I find that bending the cable near the ends causes the two coaxes to slide, changing the distance of the unused cable end to the connector which seems to vary the capacitance and causes a signal from the speaker.
I cut 30cm of the cable away and my min damping time reduced to 1.9us. I would like to shorten it a bit more and try soldering the unused coax to gnd.
No the testing has been done with the default settings and judgement by audio and coil response to a set of known gold targets the only parameter I can change is the volume my code version is 1.1 I am waiting on Moodz to publish the enabled code.
Tony I think you are correct I did notice that where as the Minelab and my own coils have a SRF of from 550khz to 789khz the Detech ones are in the 400khz to 500khz range.
I would be interested if anyone does a SMD version of the Magpi V3 with a board size of 100mm wide by up to 75mm deep as I have a Hammond enclosure with a fabricated screen enclosure all set up waiting.
Regards, Ian.
Leave a comment:
-
The new thread:Originally posted by KingJL View PostThere are a couple of things to note and understand... the current version of the "MAGPI Probe" circuit has some differences from moodz's MAGPI V3...
Having said all this, when I finish verifying the PCB layout, I will publish/post the Kicad project (including Gerber's) as as a zip. It will probably be done in a separate thread so as not to interfere/confuse with moodz's MAGPI development...
But remember this is NOT MAGPI V3 (so don't inundate moodz with questions/problems of the "MAGPI Probe") and as of now the MAGPI Probe "DEFINITELY is NOT just "BUILD/FLASH/and GO"!The MagPI Probe is based on the MagPI V3 design provided by moodz in the “Moodz' Awesome Gold Pulse Induction Version 3 - MAGPI V3 Project” thread. There are some changes to the original design. These changes are to permit operation with a 2 cell Li-ion batery pack, provide a measure of safety to the damping circuit if TX
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
UPDATE, I increased the TX time to the full 15us and the warbling has significantly reduced, sensitivity to small nuggets after tuning out ground is better now.
I will need to re-do those graphs.
Tony
Leave a comment:
-
Hi Ian are those tests with a scope and adjusting the x sample timing?Originally posted by IBGold View Post
Hi tpet93,
I think your problem is the Detech coil cable I have been doing some testing with various coils and find with all the Detech coils tested when the detector is switched on it is slow to initiate and has a low continuous tone and the coil is very insensitive and the Magpi V3 display reads in the SIG450 area the Detech coils run resistances in the mid 0.3's ohms where where as the Minelab coils usually run in the 0.4's ohms and the display SIG.240 area with high tone I also tried some of my own coils with varying resistances from 0.33 to 0.45 ohms and like wise as the Minelab ones ran in the display SIG.240 range and high tone.
Regards, Ian.
my understanding is that the resistance is not so critical as long as it is low, what is more important is the self resonance of the coil which is a product of its inductance and capacitance. Stray capacitance being the biggest variable between coils.
If the coil has too much capacitance it might not be possible to dampen it properly by the 1.6us damping sample programmed in the default firmware.
This can result in a weird waveform and cause high or low signals at rest ( i still dont know how the dc signal gets through the film capacitors)
My coil had an srf of around 540khz, measured using another coil to excite it.
I was able to damp it using the magpi at 2.13us but no earlier. If your x sample is at 1.6us that may be why its not working.
As far as the detech cable goes: it uses a pair of coax cables one of which is unused and unconnected in the mono coil. I find that bending the cable near the ends causes the two coaxes to slide, changing the distance of the unused cable end to the connector which seems to vary the capacitance and causes a signal from the speaker.
I cut 30cm of the cable away and my min damping time reduced to 1.9us. I would like to shorten it a bit more and try soldering the unused coax to gnd.
Leave a comment:
-
Hi tpet93,Originally posted by tpet93 View PostYep, adding the 10R resistor in series with the gate of the damping mosfet fixed the ringing.
still getting some warbling and bouncing around in the final output signal, unsure how much is expected during normal operation.
This is my first venture into high performance metal detectors so i don't really have a baseline to compare to for noise and sensitivity.
I was getting some significant dc offset in the output signal coming from the INA125 (capacitor leakage or amplifier input current leakage?) swapping to another INA125 reduced it.
swapping out the LM6171 with a fresh chip seemed to reduce some of the warble/bouncing.
I'm still running quite a short 12us tx pulse until i get some spare bsp230s so perhaps a stronger transmit signal will make the signal more consistent?
As a note for others troubleshooting, when using a speaker and 2*18650s, as the battery's got low, the output started to slowly oscillate at ~0.5hz. I put this down to the speaker drawing more current at low frequency's and causing one of the voltages to drop creating a feedback cycle.
could be tricky to troubleshoot without headphones or a screen attached.
I think your problem is the Detech coil cable I have been doing some testing with various coils and find with all the Detech coils tested when the detector is switched on it is slow to initiate and has a low continuous tone and the coil is very insensitive and the Magpi V3 display reads in the SIG450 area the Detech coils run resistances in the mid 0.3's ohms where where as the Minelab coils usually run in the 0.4's ohms and the display SIG.240 area with high tone I also tried some of my own coils with varying resistances from 0.33 to 0.45 ohms and like wise as the Minelab ones ran in the display SIG.240 range and high tone.
Regards, Ian.
Leave a comment:
-
I've been playing around with figuring out how to GB and characterize this detectors waveform
It seems that the signal is a combination of:- phase shift applied to the waveform slope changing the values at a given sample time.
- actual signal from target.
Because of overshoot around 13uS where the slope changes from positive to negative, the signal produced by a phase shift in inverted.
I've come up with a way to measure the waveform on weak targets. as the change in the pre-amp out is in the millivolts and most scopes don't have the resolution to measure this when zoomed out to the entire response.
It involved 2 channels (2v per div and 100mV per dive) on my oscilloscope for better resolution in the later part (> 8us),steps follow :- setting the scope (1054z) to average 256 samples (reducing noise)
- set up 2 channels (2v per div and 100mV per div)
- retrieving 50 of those waveforms over a couple minutes from the memory using python and Ethernet cable (1ns*8bit per sample)
- splicing the data from the two channels together at 8us
- getting the mean of the 50 waveforms
- subtracting data from one target to another
- applying heavy Gaussian smoothing.
Targets are blobs of solder (60/40)
The ground is a sticky wet brown clay from coastal far north Queensland. I'm having trouble separating it from the signal of small nuggets.
damping sample was taken at 1.9 -2.0 us.
in some of my other runs by taking the X sample later, some interesting signals appeared before the X sample that potentially distinguished the ground.
EDIT: i'm thinking my plots are predominantly just showing the phase shift instead of the target signal,if so maybe we need to account for phase shift?
I've plotted the change in response for a number of targets below.
x axis is uS since TX stop,
y axis is byte values in scope memory equivalent to about 80mv per unit
Left y axis is change in signal, Right y axis is waveform values
Some response values are scaled to keep the peaks at the same height
samples where placed directly on the coil to maximize signal.
Leave a comment:
-
This is not applicable to metal detector transmitters. Both the coil resistance & circuit resistances are usually undesirable and the power they consume is power we don't want to consume; it is all wasted. What we usually want is a purely reactive circuit with no resistance, thus no power losses. In a traditional PI we sometimes manipulate the series resistance to achieve a certain turn-on settling characteristic but whether that resistance is in the coil winding, the switch, or just an added resistor makes no difference; it's all power wasted in heat.Originally posted by Dean Sarelius View Postin order to ensure maximum power transfer the coil resistance should also approximate to this value also.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: