Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building the Geotech Barracuda Rev A (from silverdog)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WM6
    replied
    Originally posted by azigta View Post

    I,don't have the posibility to do it, but I will do tests with the damping resistor tool doing ground tests too, now that I know this, but I don't think It will vary much

    because other value than 1.6K in the damping tool made the air tests poor in comparison.
    Yes, but this is valid in first line for air setting.

    Soil alone, (depend on amount of mineralization), damped target eddy current as well as coil fly-back too,
    so damping R at soil max setting, should be different than damping R setting in air.
    In mild soil less in highly mineralized more.

    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    WM6, thanks for the tip, I will do ground tests when I have the coil shielded and covered with silicone and mounted on the shaft etc. so that I can take it to the outside. Right now I don't have the posibility to do it, but I will do tests with the damping resistor tool doing ground tests too, now that I know this, but I don't think It will vary much, because other value than 1.6K in the damping tool made the air tests poor in comparison. I will perform ground tests too anyway. Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • WM6
    replied
    Originally posted by azigta View Post

    Wow, I'm shocked by the great result. I wasn't expecting to increase the detection depth that much, I just went from an almost non working metal detector to detect a small 1 cent coin at 22cm, I have to test it with the euro coins to see what I will get, but I'll do that once I put the fixed resistor. I will post more details when I have it done.
    Your test/settings was done in air, which can lead to somewhat deceptive results, by following this settings method.

    For real test and proper damping R settings, testing target should be "harmonized" with soil environment:

    Here proposal for very simple an practically to soil-tests adequate test, by boring
    hole in soil, using some sort of metallic drill rod (p.e. from construction iron bars)
    in diameter a little bigger than test coins diameter:



    How to fix coin orientation on string:



    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    wow! I tested with the damping tool (Previously removed the resistor that I soldered on the board of course) and look at the results

    With the original 470ohm resistor:

    (american coins)
    1 cent -> 13cm medium strength
    5 cent -> 6cm kind of weak

    With the damping resistor tool adjusted to the best value, that turned out to be 1.614Kohm (I noted the value as accurate as possible with all the digits xD)

    1 cent-> 22cm strong
    5 cent -> 13cm strong

    More resistance on the damping tool made the tone more weak at the same distance, less resistance also made it more weak, it seems like the best value is around 1.6K

    Wow, I'm shocked by the great result. I wasn't expecting to increase the detection depth that much, I just went from an almost non working metal detector to detect a small 1 cent coin at 22cm, I have to test it with the euro coins to see what I will get, but I'll do that once I put the fixed resistor. I will post more details when I have it done.

    In the pdf it says that the damping resistor has to be 2 watts, but the tool was made of 1/4w resistors, and it worked... Could I place a fixed resistor of 1/4w? That will make it easier for me, as I don't have 2w resistors.

    Thank you all for the great support!

    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    Originally posted by ionut_mtb View Post
    normal resistor, normal pot. just try what you have.
    I didn't have much time today but I built the damping resistor tool, tomorrow I'll test it, for now, the ohm test is ok. While adjusting with the tool, what position does the 10k pot has to have? Do I set it to 0 and test with the 5 cent coin like before?

    By the way, the test that I did before with the 5 cent coin gave me a best min delay value of 5.3K, note that I'm using a pot instead of a trimmer and as far as I know, that doesn't affect the circuit, but probablly I will change that pot for a trimmer the next time I go to the electronics store and buy one so that it isn't that sensible to changes.

    I still can't believe it's working

    Leave a comment:


  • ionut_mtb
    replied
    Originally posted by azigta View Post

    ionut_mtb: Do any of the resistors in the diagram have to be more than 1/4w? thanks
    normal resistor, normal pot. just try what you have.

    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    kt315, very interesting, metal detecting makes you learn lots of things, I'm sure I will stick to this hobby for a long time.

    ionut_mtb: Do any of the resistors in the diagram have to be more than 1/4w? thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • ionut_mtb
    replied
    meanwhile Qiaozhi answered your question.


    And also you need to check the best dumping resistor for your coil:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	damping.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	348053
    It can give you extra depth. Install this instead of dumping resistor and check the best depth you can get, then take disconnect the "tool" measure the resistance and replace it with a normal resistor with that value.

    Leave a comment:


  • kt315
    replied
    5 cent is not detected maybe because of its composition.

    5 cent is not detected because of stainless steel. stainless steel is different on composition and take full discrimination range (in therminology of VLF disc) - from 'black' ferrous to non-ferrous. what you see outside on the coin is only tiny layer of copper - all
    modern coins are fully sht absent copper. copper is blood of war. its hard fact. for example chinese strives to use a copper
    in very small amount if they can. i did meet a wire to solder iron, chinese made, that magnetics! all world is prepared
    to the war (global conflicts/war) and you see only Consequence - cooper absence in the coins.

    copper is a metal that used in shells like a band around, it gives a rotation of the shell slicing gun barrels.
    no different metal you can use in the case, only clear cooper.

    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    ok thanks I'll do that

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by azigta View Post
    When you say "you can adj the min delay trimmer (not the pot) until you get the best performance for nickel coin. try to turn both direction to see the change in detection depth." do I disconnect the delay pot when doing this? or do I set it at some value? since you tell me not to adjust the pot but the trimmer, I don't know if I have to just disconnect the pot or put it at 0R. Thanks for the detailed answer, I will do more tests
    Turn the delay pot to zero, and then adjust the minimum delay trimmer.

    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    When you say "you can adj the min delay trimmer (not the pot) until you get the best performance for nickel coin. try to turn both direction to see the change in detection depth." do I disconnect the delay pot when doing this? or do I set it at some value? since you tell me not to adjust the pot but the trimmer, I don't know if I have to just disconnect the pot or put it at 0R. Thanks for the detailed answer, I will do more tests

    Leave a comment:


  • ionut_mtb
    replied
    Good job!

    5 cent is not detected maybe because of its composition. people test machine performance with this coin because it's close in response to gold. it means that your delay can be the problem. For the best performance it needs to be adjusted as low as possible. you can adj the min delay trimmer (not the pot) until you get the best performance for nickel coin. try to turn both direction to see the change in detection depth. For best detection depth keep the threshold level until you can hear verry little chattering (low volume). When adjusting the min delay you will start hear a sound in the speaker, then stops, turn again, the sound will be longer (1-2sec) then stops. you need to find the max sensibility for your coil, that will be the minimal delay. If rotate to much the sound will stop and detector will stop responding. This minim delay is influenced also by the coil capacitance. the lower the cap lower the min delay. shield will decrease the depth of detection but is good if you hunt highly mineralized ground or saltwater beach.

    You got good result with he 1cent beacuse is made from copper or zink if it's older.

    I will put a video later with my baracuda.

    Leave a comment:


  • azigta
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    so were does that 34 ohm go ?
    Nowhere, I just have lots of resistors, must have mixed a 34ohm resistor inside a 15kOhm resistor box, so when I picked a resistor from the 15kOhm box, I really picked a 34ohm one and installed it on R15 position.

    edit: Is really a 33ohm resistor, checked on the pdf and there should be only one 33ohm resistor in the circuit, and is installed in its place, r37

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    R15 was incorrect, it was a 34ohm resistor instead of a 15k one
    so were does that 34 ohm go ?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X