Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to build the MPP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KRinAZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    Well it looks like you are getting the "Royal" treatment!
    haha ;^>


    PI coils are "easy as PI" to make. Look here for a few I've made reciently;

    Oh man, those are some cool coils - if I may ask - are the coil shells still available or did you get them from Hays? & the center tapped coil - is that an approach to have tx & rx coils? I'm familiar with center tapped transformers but those are a different beast...

    Making a fast one is a little tougher. I'm not sure if the one shots used on MP will allow
    very short delay times?
    Not sure what this means - one shots?

    I bought a board but haven't started acquiring parts yet. I have some stuff but I like to
    install all the parts I have then see what I need. On this project you really should build
    sections at a time and I ran into not having the LT1054 I have 1044's 1045's 7660's
    866's but not 1054's...
    Thx, I definitely will follow the manual and steps exactly, much easier to catch a goof or bad component right then...& I ordered silverdog's kit so will build it with all the spec'd parts in the kit and get it all working before playing with any mods. I'm a big believer in "change one thing at a time and evaluate". I did request the TL071/2 instead of the TL061/2 for better noise specs - maybe at the expense of higher power demand.

    Well good luck on the build. I might scrounge up some parts and build it along with you!
    Well cool Silver Dollar! I'll let you know when I've got everything together and ready to begin. I think I may get some 28AWG ETFE coated wire (Tefzel wire wrap wire) and mash up a coil so I can at least use it for the build and start practicing on coil builds. The Tefzel is pretty close to teflon for dielectric constant (2.6, vs Teflon's 2.1, so capacitance is fairly low) and 1/2 the price, maybe a good place to start before buying higher $ wire. I'm trying to get some bad Coiltek's to use wire from but don't know if I will land them...
    .

    Leave a comment:


  • KRinAZ
    replied
    Originally posted by WM6 View Post
    MPP is a good project, wish you good look with it.
    Thx WM6! I know I'll enjoy this project.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi KRinAZ,
    I have completed the Minipulse Plus (rev C) kit. I am very pleased with the kit and the results.
    Follow the build procedures which are very good.
    Do not proceed to the next step without successful test results on the previous steps.
    A few minor suggested changes; these may have already been updated in your build procedures.
    Include the following parts into Step 3, Q2 (2N3904), R9 (10k) and R5 (20k)
    Add to Step 7; for testing short PL3 again
    Add to Step 8; for testing connect 50k Reject pot to PL3.


    I built the coil described in the Coils Forum _ under Chance PI around Posts #110 -----126. It is a very good coil. And the 7.5-8” coil size is a good way to start, it is quieter, gets into smaller places, stays closer to the ground, and still has good depth on larger nuggets. Later I recommend that you not go above 10”, it will miss many small nuggets and is nosier and loses the other advantages of a small coil.
    After you have it working read through the Replies to Minipulse Plus forum and try some of the recommended modifications.

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Well it looks like you are getting the "Royal" treatment!

    PI coils are "easy as PI" to make. Look here for a few I've made reciently;


    Making a fast one is a little tougher. I'm not sure if the one shots used on MP will allow
    very short delay times?

    I bought a board but haven't started acquiring parts yet. I have some stuff but I like to
    install all the parts I have then see what I need. On this project you really should build
    sections at a time and I ran into not having the LT1054 I have 1044's 1045's 7660's
    866's but not 1054's...

    Well good luck on the build. I might scrounge up some parts and build it along with you!

    Leave a comment:


  • WM6
    replied
    MPP is a good project, wish you good look with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • KRinAZ
    started a topic Getting ready to build the MPP

    Getting ready to build the MPP

    Hey all, this will be my first PI (or any) self built detector project, also first coil build. Looking forward to it! My oscilloscope and multimeter are ready and waiting, ordered the pots I don't have, and waiting on my kit from silverdog - coming via Royal Airmail (now doesn't that sound cool).
    I'm currently scrounging around trying to find bad donor PI coils that I can use for parts, & thought I'd use bbsailor's coil build guide, probably a 9 or 10" version as I usually search for smaller gold (but maybe that will change when I start using a PI), my current detector is a White's GMT - excellent detector for VLF! I like how I can tweek sensitivity & SAT speed on it, & turn off GEB, & so why the MPP caught my attention - as I plan to have those (except sensitivity) in my final build, & volume control on the box instead of on each of my headphones (L&R).
    One criteria for success for me is to be able to get target response at or especially below 10us delay. I plan to use it for gold prospecting only, already have enough found iron lol - with that in mind I'm sure down the road I will want to take a shot at building a DD coil.

    Been lurking and reading the heck out of the MPP Responses forum, think most all of you are light years ahead of me as EE's but I'll try to not ask dumb questions. & yes I'll follow the manual & steps...looking over it the kit itself seems like an easy project (except the coil build) but we'll see how I do. I have more experience with digital circuits than analog...
    I'll build the kit as is first and the coil and get it all working, then I want to have mod's fun with; varying the SAT speed, adding GEB, who knows what else.
Working...
X