Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minipulse Plus Rev My time has come!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mushaba
    replied
    Originally posted by kt315 View Post
    read my comments https://www.geotech1.com/forums/show...l-for-baracuda
    you must do A TRANSFER STEP after every one layer.
    Sorry,my bad,i did not transfer 1 slot every 5 turns...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...I hope it worth it

    Leave a comment:


  • kt315
    replied
    read my comments https://www.geotech1.com/forums/show...l-for-baracuda
    you must do A TRANSFER STEP after every one layer.

    Leave a comment:


  • mushaba
    replied
    Something is wrong

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Basket 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	353775
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Basket 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	353776

    I've started winding at inner slot,3 out 3 in,after 5 full turns i entered again from the slot i began,moved 4 upper slots and so..

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    Brilliant work. The shield for these coils maybe better by painting the walls of the coil housing.

    Leave a comment:


  • mushaba
    replied
    After some quallity time with Autocad and my cnc i finally have the coil cores made from PE plastic..My concern at this moment is that the core is 2,5mm thick not 0,7-1,5mm as instructions,i couldnt find at local market PE this thin...Hope it all works out well

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Basket Coil Form.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	353774

    Leave a comment:


  • mushaba
    replied
    Originally posted by dbanner View Post
    It doesn't matter that much between 0.4 and0.63
    Your coil parameters will be OK. I know because I made several basket 3dss using 0.4 and all working very good.
    Use same number of turns.
    I stopped making them because they are pain to wind.
    Pay attention to keeping count as it is easy to forget how many turns you have when focusing on winding in out in out, well you know.
    Well,yes they are a pain to wind them but they are well speced..My first test coil I have in my videos I never successfully shielded it,the shield always dicreased the detecting depth...Also I'm thinking a spiral wind with 0.5mm coil wire,I will engrave the pattern on PE plastic and fit the cable,I will have to adjust the space between the spirals to get as low capacitance as I can..

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    It doesn't matter that much between 0.4 and0.63
    Your coil parameters will be OK. I know because I made several basket 3dss using 0.4 and all working very good.
    Use same number of turns.
    I stopped making them because they are pain to wind.
    Pay attention to keeping count as it is easy to forget how many turns you have when focusing on winding in out in out, well you know.

    Leave a comment:


  • mushaba
    replied
    Quick question about basket or 3dss coil:the building instructions I found reffers on 0.63mm (awg 22) wire diameter,30 full turns.how can I use 0.4mm(awg26) without messing the coils specs?

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    I think instead of waste, I prefer the phrase "less efficient". I think an examination of the data sheet for particular MOSFET(or some other document) ought to yield some interesting information on operation in avalanche. All those fancy graphs on data sheets, which I never like to read. Too difficult for me. Unnecessary power dissipation by way of heat in MOSFET(wasted energy). Not unlike overdriven transistors, but " overvolting" MOSFETS.
    Hey, now that's a sexy term.
    The flyback voltage may not only be related to TX current.( Just a hunch) but how quickly is she switched off(zero), making way for the collapsing field.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    When the MOSFET is switched off, you want the all the energy stored in the coil to contribute to the collapsing field and provide maximum energy transfer to the target(s). If you exceed the MOSFET breakdown voltage then some of that stored energy will be dissipated (wasted) within the MOSFET. So, if your MOSFET has a breakdown voltage of 500V, keep the flyback below that figure.
    Still not sure your definition of waste. Did a search and one definition is serves no purpose.
    Someone posted in another thread awhile back, time at avalanche doesn't effect signal strength.
    I could read your statement that energy dissipated at avalanche is wasted(serves no purpose) and doesn't add to signal strength confirming the posted statement. Is that what you mean? Not suggesting operating at avalanche is ok, just thinking it's not wasted energy.
    Avalanche current does go through the battery so it does increase average battery current. If I did the math correct at(1000 pulses/second). Average coil current is 100ma and avalanche current adds less than .5ma to battery current in my example(damping adjust3).

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Here's a document that explains the full story:

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    What do you mean by waste energy? I have thought signal strength is proportional to peak current. A test with .5A and 1A peak Tx current. Damping was adjusted for peak volts to not reach MOS FET break down with .5A peak current. My tester controls Tx current either .5A constant current or 1A constant rate. Think double the signal with 1A peak is due to double current not constant rate vs constant current. One way to keep peak Tx below break down is to limit current to (break down volts/damping resistor). Any other ways? Someone posted in another thread awhile back, time at breakdown doesn't effect signal strength. My test shows different, am I doing something wrong?
    When the MOSFET is switched off, you want the all the energy stored in the coil to contribute to the collapsing field and provide maximum energy transfer to the target(s). If you exceed the MOSFET breakdown voltage then some of that stored energy will be dissipated (wasted) within the MOSFET. So, if your MOSFET has a breakdown voltage of 500V, keep the flyback below that figure.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    It depends on the coil inductance and resistance, and the TX pulse width. You should avoid letting the flyback voltage exceed the breakdown voltage of the MOSFET as this will waste energy, make the device get hot, and also slow the decay. The value of 350V is just a guide as what to expect for a typical 300uH coil with a TX pulse rate of 1000pps and a pulse width of 100us.
    What do you mean by waste energy? I have thought signal strength is proportional to peak current. A test with .5A and 1A peak Tx current. Damping was adjusted for peak volts to not reach MOS FET break down with .5A peak current. My tester controls Tx current either .5A constant current or 1A constant rate. Think double the signal with 1A peak is due to double current not constant rate vs constant current. One way to keep peak Tx below break down is to limit current to (break down volts/damping resistor). Any other ways? Someone posted in another thread awhile back, time at breakdown doesn't effect signal strength. My test shows different, am I doing something wrong?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by mushaba View Post
    Is it ok to have such voltage?George at step 3 I think says we should measure 350V..
    It depends on the coil inductance and resistance, and the TX pulse width. You should avoid letting the flyback voltage exceed the breakdown voltage of the MOSFET as this will waste energy, make the device get hot, and also slow the decay. The value of 350V is just a guide as what to expect for a typical 300uH coil with a TX pulse rate of 1000pps and a pulse width of 100us.

    Leave a comment:


  • mushaba
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    Hot wire is the coil wire connected to MUR460 diode. I use twisted pair so it is easy to clip probe to wire coating(insulation). Coax center wire has a thicker coating, might be harder to clip to. Maybe less signal.

    I use a 11N50M2 MOSFET rated minimum break down 500V same as IRF840. I get 550V and you get 600V. Don't know how much higher than minimum to expect.
    Is it ok to have such voltage?George at step 3 I think says we should measure 350V..

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X