Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Project Code of Conduct

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Originally posted by Boadil View Post
    I agree to the principles and behaviours of the 'Code of Conduct for Open Project Participants V3.0'.
    Sorry, this project is half-past dead.

    Leave a comment:


  • Boadil
    replied
    I agree to the principles and behaviours of the 'Code of Conduct for Open Project Participants V3.0'.

    Leave a comment:


  • WM6
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post

    I am through selling our house, but our neighbour is about to die from cancer, and we are all waiting for his exit ceremony, and that is keeping me away from metal detecting.
    Hi Pete, nice to see that you are still in life.

    My sorry for your neighbour, but more than half year of exit ceremony is a little too much.

    Best wishes to you

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi all,

    it seems, that (almost) who signed the "Open Project Code of Conduct V3.0" do not contribute to the forums anymore.
    What happened guys?
    Are you "not allowed by a signed contract" to contribute to the forums now?
    Was it to get all the real names and addresses of the participants to sue them?
    Who is going to leak the real story behind this action?

    Aziz
    Aziz! No! Take off the tin foil hat! It's messing with your magnetic field!

    I think most of us have been captured and dragged away only by Real Life (R). I am through selling our house, but our neighbour is about to die from cancer, and we are all waiting for his exit ceremony, and that is keeping me away from metal detecting. Oh, and I've been closing off my old business for the past 2 years, but I keep getting new customer calls. Who am I to turn someone away when no-one else wants to help them?

    At least, that is my story.

    Kind regards,
    PtB

    P.S. Tell the {REDACTED} to look for the {REDACTED} beside the old {REDACTED}. It's worth {REDACTED} million dollars. Sell it to {REDACTED}, she'll give you a fair price. Salût, {REDACTED}

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Hi all,

    it seems, that (almost) who signed the "Open Project Code of Conduct V3.0" do not contribute to the forums anymore.
    What happened guys?
    Are you "not allowed by a signed contract" to contribute to the forums now?
    Was it to get all the real names and addresses of the participants to sue them?
    Who is going to leak the real story behind this action?

    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    When he asked to start this, I warned him that it has been tried before without success. It takes a monumental effort, like herding cats, and way more time than I have time for.
    That's the exact reason why I never bothered to sign up. I'm afraid this effort had all the hallmarks of a failed enterprise from the very start.

    Leave a comment:


  • ODM
    replied
    Pretty much like the reasons I posted in the original code of conduct evaluation thread, it hasn't turned out to provide much of anything.

    If it's not a legally binding agreement, if it doesn't provide benefits, if it doesn't have penalties of breach, it's not much of an agreement. The same applies for all sorts of open ware licenses, which do have benefits and penalties, but not much weight until they're defended in court.

    This forum already has its basic rules written down, which ask for civil behavior. It's not generally nice to cuss out even in a non-named manner or roundabout passive aggressive ways. Sure, I do have my own frustrations at times but I keep them at bay, and like stated above that "code of conduct" doesn't really serve a purpose except to obfuscate matters further: If someone hasn't signed it but generally acts in a constructive and cooperative way, compared to someone who has signed it while regularly acting in abusive language and stealing physical/intellectual property, what difference does the signature make?

    There's only one way to weigh someone and that's how they act. Some "open" communities seem to spend more time arguing about their licenses than prototyping things, I'd rather be doing the latter!

    ycaripsnoc gnisolc murof eht tuoba tuo dnif tnow elpoep os luferac eb ot deen ew sey dnA

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Let it carry on and die a natural death Carl, otherwise you may be accused of ulterior motives lol

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    Ah, but Dave, we can dream, can't we? I don't think it's as bad as you might think...

    I actually think it's a credit to this community. Just look at all the new folks (myself included) who have signed up to it!

    The idea is great, it's what happens where the rubber meets the road that it all goes wrong - designs get bought by people, or companies, or need protection by patents, or people leave for various reasons... We can't help the real world making a mess of the idea. But we can agree not to deliberately stuff things up for other people, I guess.

    I believe very strongly that just having the opportunity to say, "I'm going to try to be a fair and reasonable member of the community, you will be able to trust me, and I'll trust you in return" is in itself a good - even noble - idea. (Oh my gosh, I just used a nasty target word!) Sure, there are arseholes and jackals here, but they're everywhere these days. Yeah, their mums should have swallowed or spit, but that's not for us to judge, we just have to deal with 'em!

    But isn't it interesting that those people are the very same people who HAVEN'T signed on to the "agreement" here? (And personally, even if they did, I wouldn't trust them to tip water out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel...).

    Look, even if nothing ever comes of this, I reckon it was a pretty brave and fair thing for the OP to do. And the fact that so many members, new and old, HAVE signed on, shows a bit of character, IMHO (and I'm not talking about me - I don't have a particular fondness for myself).

    I could probably put this much better, but it's late and I'm about to head off to beddy-byes for the 2nd time tonight. I hope this gives everyone some hope, if nothing else!
    -PtB
    Hi Pete
    Just because people sign here doesnt make them trustworthy,
    For people to earn my trust, they have to earn it, which takes a while, and I can honestly say theres quite a few on here ive grown to respect over a period of time.
    Theres know one on here that I dont like, but a few that ive got allot time for and would put myself out for, and have done so.
    When I come on to Geotech which these days isnt as much as I would like and did in the past due to business is very busy and family commitments, I come on here to see what projects are going on and what ive been missing which was the original reason why I joined here in the first place, not some garble that gets me no where.
    Carl put it in a nut shell, he knows me now quite well, not personaly but over the last couple of years on here, Does he need or want me to sign on here or agree like sheep, No of course not because like me what is the point, and what a waste of band width.
    You be better off pete posting a nice project for everyone to look at then you will certainly gain respect from my quarters because its know easy task and very time consuming, to me it shows dedication to the hobby.
    People saying im going to be fair and nice to people etc is just words, anyone can say that, putting it into practise is a total different thing, actions are by far stronger than mear words
    Warm regards

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    No ulterior motives, it just appears to be a dead effort.

    Leave a comment:


  • IBGold
    replied
    Carl don't close it yet give it more time unless you have ulterior motives for shutting it down.

    Regards, Ian.

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    I think Chudster has moved on, he does not respond to PMs. When he asked to start this, I warned him that it has been tried before without success. It takes a monumental effort, like herding cats, and way more time than I have time for. I will probably close this forum unless someone wants to step in and keep it going.

    - Carl
    This Forum as a whole or just this thread??

    Sid

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    I think Chudster has moved on, he does not respond to PMs. When he asked to start this, I warned him that it has been tried before without success. It takes a monumental effort, like herding cats, and way more time than I have time for. I will probably close this forum unless someone wants to step in and keep it going.

    - Carl

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
    Im just sitting here amused and bewildered because I have seen it all before many times, It always amounts to the same thing (Nothing)

    Ah, but Dave, we can dream, can't we? I don't think it's as bad as you might think...

    I actually think it's a credit to this community. Just look at all the new folks (myself included) who have signed up to it!

    The idea is great, it's what happens where the rubber meets the road that it all goes wrong - designs get bought by people, or companies, or need protection by patents, or people leave for various reasons... We can't help the real world making a mess of the idea. But we can agree not to deliberately stuff things up for other people, I guess.

    I believe very strongly that just having the opportunity to say, "I'm going to try to be a fair and reasonable member of the community, you will be able to trust me, and I'll trust you in return" is in itself a good - even noble - idea. (Oh my gosh, I just used a nasty target word!) Sure, there are arseholes and jackals here, but they're everywhere these days. Yeah, their mums should have swallowed or spit, but that's not for us to judge, we just have to deal with 'em!

    But isn't it interesting that those people are the very same people who HAVEN'T signed on to the "agreement" here? (And personally, even if they did, I wouldn't trust them to tip water out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel...).

    Look, even if nothing ever comes of this, I reckon it was a pretty brave and fair thing for the OP to do. And the fact that so many members, new and old, HAVE signed on, shows a bit of character, IMHO (and I'm not talking about me - I don't have a particular fondness for myself).

    I could probably put this much better, but it's late and I'm about to head off to beddy-byes for the 2nd time tonight. I hope this gives everyone some hope, if nothing else!
    -PtB

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Im just sitting here amused and bewildered because I have seen it all before many times, It always amounts to the same thing (Nothing)

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X