Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMT Bandito Info/Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Koala
    replied
    Big Silver---- 5-5 1/2"--- 1" Solid---- 2 - 4" Intermittantly

    Does not like silver ?

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Well it looks like the 39pf might not have been making a good connection.
    So today I tested the original Bandito to the SMT one using the original
    coil hung from the ceiling. I couldn't try the TGSL as it's still not working
    (maybe later on tonight I'll work in it).

    They were pretty close. The original sounded louder and here's the results;

    Original SMT
    Gold Ring ----6-7" -------7" Solid ----8" Intermittantly
    Big Silver---- 5-5 1/2"--- 1" Solid---- 2 - 4" Intermittantly
    Nickel --------6" ----------6 - 6 1/2 ---7" Gone
    Bottle Cap ---6 1/2" -----6 - 6 1/2"
    Penny --------6" ---------6"
    Quarter ------5 - 6"------6"
    Dime ---------4 - 5" ------5 - 6"

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    So there's defiantly a problem with my Bandito similar to the problem I had with TGSL.
    The RX input is a differential amp but is fed from a single ended coil. I get a sound
    when I probe to the grounded side of the opamp and see a 400mv signal out of
    the first opamp. I didn't check on the original Bandito but I'm using it's coil...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bandito.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	340818

    I see a ring down on the output of the LM393 and am not sure if it's going through the
    power rails or standard path. I can hear targets but also get an oscillating tone. I did
    try to isolate the 393 using 10 ohm resistors and a 4.7uf cap on the plus and minus supplys.

    On the TGSL I shorted out the 2 resistors on the plus input of the opamp and grounded the
    4.7K/5.1K on the other side and that helped cure it. Maybe a cap across the 200k to ground?

    I'm not sure about the 39pf cap. I measured all resistors and caps incircuit but the pf value caps
    would not read...

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I'm not sure this is a problem as I didn't use a Sens or Threshold pot. I didn't think they were
    necessary unless you wanted more depth.

    So here's the inputs to the 393's;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LM393In1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	340806

    Click image for larger version

Name:	LM393In2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	340807

    The fixed input to compare to;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SensLevel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	340808

    And the chattering output;

    Click image for larger version

Name:	LM393Out.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	340809

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Well the new 4 pin coils are 1mh TX and 10 or 12 mh RX somewhat similar to the Minelab coil.
    They require a different oscillator but put out a lot more field. Though I'm not sure it gains you much...

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    Originally posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    Well I just measured and there's no centertap. Both TX and RX have one end grounded.
    So maybe my RX wires are swapped?

    Thanks for the info on front panels. I hadn't seen that thread (I thought I've read everything
    on here).
    Maybe there is a difference between the uMax coils. Tesoro only list two types of coil 4 pin Delta and 5 pin Epsilon.

    Found this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	connecteur_tesoro_vaquero.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	340800

    Resistance looks quite different looks more like a normal coil with a finer wire and more turns on the RX compared to the TX

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Well I just measured and there's no centertap. Both TX and RX have one end grounded.
    So maybe my RX wires are swapped?

    Thanks for the info on front panels. I hadn't seen that thread (I thought I've read everything
    on here).

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    Originally posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    Anyone know a good free software package to design front panels? I've tried a couple but they
    were tough to use. They either are CAD packages that need a long time to learn or are drawing
    programs that have no built in designs. I just need something to make an oval panel and some
    tick marks in a circle around each knob...
    Have you seen this thread

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    I am confused with the center tap wiring

    Found two diagrams but they are not the same

    Very subtle difference one shows the center tap connected to both the TX ground and the cable shield.

    This does not seem right to me as would cause a loop

    Also both are missing the coil shield Tesoro use a conductive plastic would this not be connected to the cable shield then back to the board

    Click image for larger version

Name:	coileldo.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	340797
    Click image for larger version

Name:	coilspecs.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	340798
    Click image for larger version

Name:	coilplasticcase.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	340799

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    It seems the instability is related to grounding the RX. I had similar trouble with my
    TGSL and could not run it as a balanced input but had to ground one side of the RX.
    I'm using the Tesoro coil now and the original Bandito works and is wired the same way
    so I don't understand why the problem on the new board?

    I just figured out the caps in the second filter were wrong on the original Bandito.
    Here's a corrected schematic;

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Bandito.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	340796

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Well I was getting ready to put the Bandito in a case but it has developed an instability.
    If I probe to the input of the first filter it stabilizes. Must be an open somewhere near there?

    I probed around a bit on the original Bandito too. I found the resistors on the outputs of the
    comparators that compare metal and disc are 2k. It also uses back to back diodes on the final
    stage. Here's a corrected schematic;

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Bandito.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	340795

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Well I tested the Tracker coil with the Minelab oscillator and HBridge oscillator.
    I get 6 khz with the Minelab and 6.6 khz with the HBridge. Hmm to get up to
    10 khz we need to reduce the capacitance and it's inside the coil housing...

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    So my thoughts turn to packaging. I plan to use my old Tracker stick and housing but
    not sure if I can use the coil. It has 2.4 mh TX and RX and a cap in the coil for TX to
    run at 6.6 khz or so.

    I don't know of any oscillator that would work with this setup. Maybe the IDX one?

    I could also make a TGSL one or Minelab style and use the Minelab oscillator (as it
    puts more current into the coil).

    I made a metal plate for the control box and have to decide on what controls to include.

    The so called "Sensitivity" control is really a threshold for the comparators. Some say it's
    not too useful so maybe leave it as an internal trim pot? It's possible having 2 trims could
    get you a more sensitive device too...

    The threshold controls volume and with a simple mod can go from the stock setting to a
    pure binary mode so could be useful to include.

    The Disc is necessary and GEB is good to have too. So maybe Disc, GEB, Volume and a switch
    for Disc/All Metal/Retune would be good? Oh a Tone control might be a good one too but needs
    a SPDT switch to toggle the 4024 output but maybe we can make it work...

    Anyone know a good free software package to design front panels? I've tried a couple but they
    were tough to use. They either are CAD packages that need a long time to learn or are drawing
    programs that have no built in designs. I just need something to make an oval panel and some
    tick marks in a circle around each knob...

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Her's a dual oscillator setup. You need a 4 pole double throw switch as I'm not sure
    what can still be connected when you switch over. Trying to save the 4ma the other
    oscillator will use too. Not sure if I will use it as there will be a lot of wires...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DualOscBandito.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	340790

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    So I've been working on a big mod. I call it the Big Bandito and Tone Tune.
    Here's the schematic;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BigBandito.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	340781

    It does a balanced TX and RX and has tunable dual tones via a level select able 4024 output.

    Here's the first part I call it the sleeping H bridge as the transistors are laying down;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	340782

    Here's the bottom. I'm using a special technique where some parts are through hole
    (transistors) and some are SMT so as to make a tiny pcb.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	340783

    It oscillates at 10 khz and has about 9V amplitude but that is hiding the fact that
    there is around 150 ma in the coil! It only draws around 4 ma too!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	340784

    The dual tone mod allows for all high tones, all low tones or switch from low to high at some amplitude...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X