Originally posted by Aziz
View Post
Personally I'd go with step voltage and high L - it can't go any lower Z than that. The equivalent Z of voltage source is a short circuit.
The diagram above is a design that I played with to see the effects of a single coil arrangement, and it is not exactly a ripoff of any existing rig, just my musings. Anyway, pulse duration is just under 20us, cosine shape, and the principle is completely scalable. So, it could have been 100V, and my pulse would again be just under 20us, but with 4A at peak. Funny thing is that Power supply does not suffer any shocks, and power consumption is a few mA. Flyback is under 1us. I'd say it could rock.
...
I think I must review a bit for clarity. I tend to write complicated.
To obtain a transient response you need a voltage pulse, and you need a low Z termination. Depending on initial conditions you will end up with or without residual DC component. In case of single coil arrangement you don't have a choice - you must end up with zero DC. To do that you need a single pulse, which in turn gives not one but two sharp voltage transitions. One is too many because it carries no useful information, in fact it interferes with detection. That is the actual price of single coil operation.


Leave a comment: