Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced PI coils

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Originally posted by Tinkerer View Post
    A smaller RX coil, for example 1/2 TX diameter, does not mean that the target signal reception is only under the RX coil.
    C&G (Tesoro predecessor) used to build coaxial coils, and Jack Gifford told me that he used RX=1/2 TX diameter coils to reduce ground pickup. It probably would also allow a tighter coil stack.

    Originally posted by Tinkerer View Post
    Questions about EMI noise rejection.

    What is the minimum distance needed between RX+ and RX-, to achieve good rejection.
    Ideally, zero, but zero is the worst for target detection. Empirical testing needed here.

    - Carl

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    It seams mineralisation is the obstacle in any coil configuration.

    I believe the differential coil is the goods.

    Other coil configurations only complicate things ATM.

    Sid

    Leave a comment:


  • Sergey_P
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Fine balance was done electronically
    My test bench to adjust http://www.md4u.ru/download/file.php?id=5910
    …
    8 for PI-IB with GB http://www.md4u.ru/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=2037 , http://www.md4u.ru/download/file.php?id=2845

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm back and back to the beauty of co-axial coils. No more fiddling with complex coils and the revival of the prior art and simple co-axial IB AI coil: RX+, TX, RX- (the symmetrical co-axial one with all same diameters and co-axial distances).

    To achieve a good EMI noise rejection, RX+ and RX- should be very identical (same diameter, same turns count, same inductivity, same parasitic capacitance, same wire.., but opposite winding direction).

    There is a co-axial distance between RX+ and TX and TX and RX- and should be at least 1/10 of the diameter of the coils (the more, the better of course).
    Now there is a sensible thing to do.

    RX+ and RX- can be the same direction and subtracted in the preamp.

    Here is an extract from an Irish patent application of mine in 1981. Fine balance was done electronically and compensated for effect of temperature changes on coil. My configuration was coils 3 and 4 RX+ RX- for noise cancelling and discrim. Coil 2 TX/RX as straight PI. You could of course do this off the balance coils by sampling in off time as well as on time.

    I never got around to combining the arrangement with GB, consequently iron mineralised ground was a big problem.

    Eric.

    PI Disc Coil003.pdf

    Leave a comment:


  • Tinkerer
    replied
    Questions about EMI noise rejection.

    What is the minimum distance needed between RX+ and RX-, to achieve good rejection.

    With a twisted pair, what is the relationship between the number of twists per Inch and the frequency of the EMI, to get good common mode rejection.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tinkerer
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm back and back to the beauty of co-axial coils. No more fiddling with complex coils and the revival of the prior art and simple co-axial IB AI coil: RX+, TX, RX- (the symmetrical co-axial one with all same diameters and co-axial distances).

    To achieve a good EMI noise rejection, RX+ and RX- should be very identical (same diameter, same turns count, same inductivity, same parasitic capacitance, same wire.., but opposite winding direction).

    There is a co-axial distance between RX+ and TX and TX and RX- and should be at least 1/10 of the diameter of the coils (the more, the better of course).

    Would you like to get shocked, when I'm going to compare it against an equivalent concentric-coplanar IB coil?

    The KISS-principle rules.
    Aziz

    PS: I'm referring to the following coil in figure 7 in the following link:
    http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showt...light=co-axial
    With IB coils it would be interesting to see the field vectors as arrows, since the coil fields are not uniform.

    I would also call attention to a misconception. A smaller RX coil, for example 1/2 TX diameter, does not mean that the target signal reception is only under the RX coil. The IP coil configuration must be looked at as one unit. The interaction or mutual inductance, between the several coils is such that any change, anywhere within the total field of the configuration, changes the balance and therefore produces a signal.

    This means also that any influence that changes the field vectors, not just the field strength, changes the balance of the coil configuration.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by mickstv View Post
    Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. From memory the last coil I made was 10in with about 18turns, this is alot more turns compared to yours. This might explain why I couldn't get the sample delay down. Tomorrow I'll make another coil and wind the same spec's as yours and see what happens.


    Might be time for me to purchase an inductance meter.
    Mine only ended up at 12 turns because I was too lazy that day to calculate how much wire I would need to get 300uH end to tap. I just walked from one end of my workshop to the other and thought that would be enough. It wasn't. Also the other factor for me was to hold one pair of ends in the vise and the far ends in a hand drill to twist them up and stretch. Anyway, it is enough to try out the principle. Optimise later.

    An inductance meter is a must in a PI workshop.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Hi guys,

    I'm back and back to the beauty of co-axial coils. No more fiddling with complex coils and the revival of the prior art and simple co-axial IB AI coil: RX+, TX, RX- (the symmetrical co-axial one with all same diameters and co-axial distances).

    To achieve a good EMI noise rejection, RX+ and RX- should be very identical (same diameter, same turns count, same inductivity, same parasitic capacitance, same wire.., but opposite winding direction).

    There is a co-axial distance between RX+ and TX and TX and RX- and should be at least 1/10 of the diameter of the coils (the more, the better of course).

    Would you like to get shocked, when I'm going to compare it against an equivalent concentric-coplanar IB coil?

    The KISS-principle rules.
    Aziz

    PS: I'm referring to the following coil in figure 7 in the following link:
    Last edited by Aziz; 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM. Reason: ps added

    Leave a comment:


  • mickstv
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Hi Mick,

    The only wire I have used so far in a bifilar coil is 0.25mm Teflon insulated. I tend to use this wire for low pulse current PI's and it is good for short delays. How short I can get with this one I have yet to find out, but its resonant frequency with no cable is much the same as if it had been a standard mono made with the same wire i.e. 1MHz. Diameter is 8in and it has 12 twisted pair turns. It measures 80uH from either end to the CT and 320uH end to end. The TX circuit should certainly be fast switching with only 80uH

    Eric.


    Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. From memory the last coil I made was 10in with about 18turns, this is alot more turns compared to yours. This might explain why I couldn't get the sample delay down. Tomorrow I'll make another coil and wind the same spec's as yours and see what happens.


    Might be time for me to purchase an inductance meter.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by mickstv View Post
    Hi Eric, just wondering if you could post some spec's on the coil, I.E. the diameter and turns, please. When I was experimenting with the twisted pair coils, using cat 5 cable but had hassles getting the delay down, best I could do was about 8us as measured directly on the input of the diff amp. Maybe the cat 5 cable wasn't the best wire for the job.


    Cheers
    Mick
    Hi Mick,

    The only wire I have used so far in a bifilar coil is 0.25mm Teflon insulated. I tend to use this wire for low pulse current PI's and it is good for short delays. How short I can get with this one I have yet to find out, but its resonant frequency with no cable is much the same as if it had been a standard mono made with the same wire i.e. 1MHz. Diameter is 8in and it has 12 twisted pair turns. It measures 80uH from either end to the CT and 320uH end to end. The TX circuit should certainly be fast switching with only 80uH

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by deemon View Post
    I think that the main problem of all kinds of "complicated" coils is that they cannot give the maximum possible signal from the target . There are 2 conditions of the maximum target signal :

    1. To excite the target with maximum signal from the transmitter coil .
    2. To receive maximum signal from the target by our receiver coil .

    To meet the first condition we need to place our transmitter coil as close to the target as we can . So the best place is the point on the ground surface just under the target . And the second condition will be satisfied if we place the receiver coil to the closest point too .... so we need to place both coils in the same place But we can do it only if we make the same coil to transmit and to receive ... so the mono coil rules anyhow
    Let's invent the mono coil (like Apple(evil)(patent-troll)-style: it has round corners ...)
    oooops, it's already invented long long before...

    Yep, the mono coil rules. It has benefits and disadvantages. But we can't use it everywhere.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • deemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi all,

    let's invent another coils. Any good ideas?

    Aziz
    I think that the main problem of all kinds of "complicated" coils is that they cannot give the maximum possible signal from the target . There are 2 conditions of the maximum target signal :

    1. To excite the target with maximum signal from the transmitter coil .
    2. To receive maximum signal from the target by our receiver coil .

    To meet the first condition we need to place our transmitter coil as close to the target as we can . So the best place is the point on the ground surface just under the target . And the second condition will be satisfied if we place the receiver coil to the closest point too .... so we need to place both coils in the same place But we can do it only if we make the same coil to transmit and to receive ... so the mono coil rules anyhow

    Leave a comment:


  • mickstv
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    No, my next step is to take the bifilar centre tapped coil that I have recently wound, make a bipolar TX and a good differential front end. Add all the backend circuitry and lug it to the local beach 1/2 mile away. The coil I have is screened, so I will wind another unscreened one and compare performance. Also compare rf pickup noise between coils. After that, GB, which with my new method will be easy. Who said PI development had come to a dead end!

    Eric.

    Hi Eric, just wondering if you could post some spec's on the coil, I.E. the diameter and turns, please. When I was experimenting with the twisted pair coils, using cat 5 cable but had hassles getting the delay down, best I could do was about 8us as measured directly on the input of the diff amp. Maybe the cat 5 cable wasn't the best wire for the job.


    Cheers
    Mick

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi all,

    let's invent another coils. Any good ideas?

    Aziz
    No, my next step is to take the bifilar centre tapped coil that I have recently wound, make a bipolar TX and a good differential front end. Add all the backend circuitry and lug it to the local beach 1/2 mile away. The coil I have is screened, so I will wind another unscreened one and compare performance. Also compare rf pickup noise between coils. After that, GB, which with my new method will be easy. Who said PI development had come to a dead end!

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Hi all,

    let's invent another coils. Any good ideas?

    Aziz

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X