Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced PI coils

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • deemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi deemon,

    you don't need a susceptible material of µr=100000. You can try the idea even with µr=100 with common ferrite powder or ferrite rod (or maghemite or magnetite powder).
    Just try it, whether it works.
    Aziz
    You see , I already tried a thick ferrite rod ( mu=2700 ) in the coil of my PI recuperative device , I just use it in the final variant of this device and it works now , of course . But I noticed that the sensitivity is less than it could be with the usual round air coil with the same electronics . And this is why I wanna use a simple coil in my new device . But the main question is still the same - if I use a kind of high-permeability material , can this new coil beat the old one ?

    As I understand it , simple round coil "covers" some area and receives all magnetic lines passing through , converting it to electric current according to Faraday's law , but ferrite core , even with less diameter - "sucks" magnetic lines from outer space and pushes it into a coil , so what is the question - how much permeability must I have to make a little diameter ferrite coil work like a much more diameter simple coil ? My experiments shows the obvious thing , that the sensitivity does depend on 3 factors - diameter of the ferrite rod , it length and magnetic permeability of the core material . But I don't know how to calculate it precisely , here is the problem . As for me - I can well understand physics , but quite bad in mathematics

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi Davor,

    Ok, I see it now what you have meant.
    A fair comparison to the equivalent 10 inch mono coil size wouldn't give any benefits. The coils would be much smaller and they would fail the comparison run blatantly.
    Aziz
    Maybe so, but they'd be fairly easy to manufacture as the pattern is easily (quadr)uplicated. The other point is that this configuration could be easily reconfigured in 3 different configurations, of which 2 are in IB.
    I'd be delighted to see it's performance in this very configuration as this one would be the best imaginable configuration against the far field EMI. It's only odd feature is that it has a sharp minimum in the very centre, hence pinpointing would be extremely sharp, but in the sense of signal absence.

    We already discussed a coil in a similar configuration, and it appears that it has a cold spot right in a middle, and my idea was to use it as a submersible rig that would be completely intrinsic, with electronics in a middle.

    Could you reconsider testing it :wink: :nudge:

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by deemon View Post
    I cannot agree with you here , Aziz . Single frequency = sinusoid wave , isn't it ? But when we use sinus , we'll suffer from another ferrite problem - nonlinearity And this problem is much more painful than that frequency dependency of permeability , that you talking about . During my experiments with mono coil IB I noticed that we easily can balance a ferrite coil in 3-times frequency range ( 5-15 khz , for example ) , but nonlinearity ( with thermal and magnetic instability also ) is the real thing that can spoil our balance

    So I came to conclusion that the only method to "cook" ferrite coils it my super-duper "constant-current" technology ... when we maintain the constant current in the coil during all measuring interval , we don't depend on every variations of ferrite permeability , because we are staying on the only one point of the magnetization curve , and can safely receive all the target response . I still working on this technique now , and wanna make new device with the simple air coil .... but if I find the material with very high permeability ( amorph , for example ) - I will try another device such coil too . And this is why I am thinking , how can I calculate the field of this coil ( with the core permeability about 100000 ) - because this material is quite expensive and hard to find here , and it would be bad thing if I find it , but the coil performance disappoint me .
    Hi deemon,

    you don't need a susceptible material of µr=100000. You can try the idea even with µr=100 with common ferrite powder or ferrite rod (or maghemite or magnetite powder).
    Just try it, whether it works.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Davor View Post
    I thought of this:
    Hi Davor,

    Ok, I see it now what you have meant.
    A fair comparison to the equivalent 10 inch mono coil size wouldn't give any benefits. The coils would be much smaller and they would fail the comparison run blatantly.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • deemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi deemon,

    this is a good idea for a single frequency induction balanced coil (single frequency VLF detector). Best done as a concentric co-planar IB coil with large TX and relative small RX with bucking coil BX sitting on the same ferrite core. RX and BX can be wound on a ferrite rod (10 - 20 mm diameter should be enough, 30 - 50 mm long).

    Why single frequency?
    Due to the frequency dependent susceptibility nature of the ferrite core. The magnetization is dependent on the frequency of course and one can optimally induction balance the coil only for one frequency.
    I cannot agree with you here , Aziz . Single frequency = sinusoid wave , isn't it ? But when we use sinus , we'll suffer from another ferrite problem - nonlinearity And this problem is much more painful than that frequency dependency of permeability , that you talking about . During my experiments with mono coil IB I noticed that we easily can balance a ferrite coil in 3-times frequency range ( 5-15 khz , for example ) , but nonlinearity ( with thermal and magnetic instability also ) is the real thing that can spoil our balance

    So I came to conclusion that the only method to "cook" ferrite coils it my super-duper "constant-current" technology ... when we maintain the constant current in the coil during all measuring interval , we don't depend on every variations of ferrite permeability , because we are staying on the only one point of the magnetization curve , and can safely receive all the target response . I still working on this technique now , and wanna make new device with the simple air coil .... but if I find the material with very high permeability ( amorph , for example ) - I will try another device such coil too . And this is why I am thinking , how can I calculate the field of this coil ( with the core permeability about 100000 ) - because this material is quite expensive and hard to find here , and it would be bad thing if I find it , but the coil performance disappoint me .

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi Davor,

    could you provide a detailed sketch of the coil configuration? I don't understand your coil configuration.
    Cheers,
    Aziz
    I thought of this:
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Hi Aziz
    is it possible to model a separate TX and RX PI coil ?
    the Tx would be a round 300 micro henry coil 280mm Dia
    with a 300 micro henry figure 8 RX inside the TX coil.
    Thanks
    6666
    Hi 6666,

    yes it is possible. I'm not sure, whether the coil has been done in the latest coil comparison analysis. I know, I have done it once in the past.
    (let me see ... )

    Ok, this coil hasn't been done yet recently. But I would make the analysis comparable to the other coil configurations.
    10" round TX, inside the almost fully filled figure-8 DD (not overlapped). TX=300µH, RX+, RX-: each coil part equivalent EMI noise induction of TX.

    This coil isn't going deep due to the planar configuration of the figure-8 RX however. On the other side, each coil half is picking up less EMI noise and both RX+ and RX- coils cancel the EMI noise to some degree (figure-8 = AI configuration). So one can crank up the gain to compensate the depth losses.

    Just give me 1 - 2 days and I'll do the SNR compensated comparison...

    Cheers,
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Hi Aziz
    is it possible to model a separate TX and RX PI coil ?
    the Tx would be a round 300 micro henry coil 280mm Dia
    with a 300 micro henry figure 8 RX inside the TX coil.

    Its the figure 8 coil I am interested in.


    Thanks
    6666

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by deemon View Post
    Hi Aziz

    My idea isn't ground-breaking , but what if we use an amorphous magnetic core in the search coil ? Can you calculate the field of this coil ( I'll tell you all dimensions ) and compare it with the simple round coil with the same inductance ? When I made my experiments with ferrite core coils , I noticed that sensitivity is rising with a permeability of the core material ... the problem is that I still cannot find a ferrite with permeability more than 4000 , but I know that these new amorphous magnetic materials can have a tremendous 100000 , so why not ? Maybe this coil can beat the simple air coil ?
    Hi deemon,

    this is a good idea for a single frequency induction balanced coil (single frequency VLF detector). Best done as a concentric co-planar IB coil with large TX and relative small RX with bucking coil BX sitting on the same ferrite core. RX and BX can be wound on a ferrite rod (10 - 20 mm diameter should be enough, 30 - 50 mm long).

    Why single frequency?
    Due to the frequency dependent susceptibility nature of the ferrite core. The magnetization is dependent on the frequency of course and one can optimally induction balance the coil only for one frequency.

    It would be interesting to see the SNR performance. Would the small RX with ferrite core induce less EMI noise compared to the air cored RX? Would the GB work? I don't know. Someone has to make such a coil and report it here...

    Cheers,
    Aziz


    PS: I am restricted to air core coils (µr=1). I can't calculate the interaction between coil and susceptible matter. BTW, this is very non-trivial task.
    Last edited by Aziz; 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM. Reason: PS added

    Leave a comment:


  • deemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi all,

    I have been quite busy recently.
    Anyone got a ground-breaking idea?
    You know, the clock is ticking....
    Only good ideas will reset the thread dead timer.
    Aziz
    Hi Aziz

    My idea isn't ground-breaking , but what if we use an amorphous magnetic core in the search coil ? Can you calculate the field of this coil ( I'll tell you all dimensions ) and compare it with the simple round coil with the same inductance ? When I made my experiments with ferrite core coils , I noticed that sensitivity is rising with a permeability of the core material ... the problem is that I still cannot find a ferrite with permeability more than 4000 , but I know that these new amorphous magnetic materials can have a tremendous 100000 , so why not ? Maybe this coil can beat the simple air coil ?

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Hi all,

    I have been quite busy recently.
    Anyone got a ground-breaking idea?
    You know, the clock is ticking....
    Only good ideas will reset the thread dead timer.
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by authere View Post
    Hi Aziz,

    Orientation of nuggets can cause problems, would four satelite coils each given a burst at a given repetition from the same control box and then the signal averaged...do any good

    Why does the signal always go thru 1 coil constantly?

    Ron

    I know nothing of what you speak, but i am a practical man!!

    PS:In a DD with four satelite RX coils the signal could be rotated between them to get an average!

    PPS:Can the signal be diverted to seperate coils or not!!
    Hi Ron,

    there are multi-axis coil configurations too. But I wouldn't use them.
    Cheers,
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Davor View Post
    How about a "lucky clover" complex coil. It would have 4 each Tx and within them at 0.9 radius 4 Rx coils, and phasing would be balanced. E.g., if observing circles as quadrants, Tx would be ++-- and Rx +-+-
    It would be double balanced. Kind of "double bicycle".
    Hi Davor,

    could you provide a detailed sketch of the coil configuration? I don't understand your coil configuration.
    Cheers,
    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • PATCHES JUNIOR
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Ok, dead line extended to 42 days.
    Hey, its not critical. I just want you all do something. Magic inspiration takes some time.

    Aziz

    Thanks for giving everyone a chance Aziz!! That one week had everyone in a panic.

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    How about a "lucky clover" complex coil. It would have 4 each Tx and within them at 0.9 radius 4 Rx coils, and phasing would be balanced. E.g., if observing circles as quadrants, Tx would be ++-- and Rx +-+-
    It would be double balanced. Kind of "double bicycle".

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X