Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concentric coil for TGSL.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dfbowers
    replied
    Concentric coils for the TGSL.

    Well here it is as promised. A complete guide to building your own Concentric Coplaner coil for the popular TGSL project.. It works!
    Please let me know if anything is unclear or needs revised.
    Happy building.
    Don
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Sorry about the crappy photos.

    Sid

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Like your approach there Don.

    Trying to do the same for a small CC coil and you a are right about the TX inductance changes once you split the coil with a bucking coil.

    I think you need to add more TX inductance as you have suggested above before you remove the winding for the bucking coil as required.

    Thats what i have found by using the below Pic which i am using normal foam as the former and winding this coil as a backup to the China made MD1023.

    I have left < 0.8 mm gap all round the coil wires and waiting to see how you approach the shielding and what material you will use.

    I am leaning towards carbon paper material.

    Sid

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ccproto.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	334618Click image for larger version

Name:	ccproto1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	334619

    Leave a comment:


  • Stefano
    replied
    Tempting recipe...
    Great Don!

    Leave a comment:


  • Sean_Goddard
    replied
    Damn Don, that is one NEAT idea .

    YOU GENIUS!!

    Leave a comment:


  • joop
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    Hi Joop. Nulling is done by adding or removing turns to the bucking coil. (Bucking coil is just the end of the main Tx coil wound the opposite direction around the Rx coil.)
    Thanks Don... Just been reading the pages titled "Concentric Coil Experiment" in the book and came across the "nulling coil" as they call it. I understand now... ;-)

    It would be interesting to scale this coil up to 27 cm. From what I read, iron rejection should be excellent.

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by mehmet 45 View Post
    I do not know English very well. Can you give more details about connections. I'm taken as a DD. I want to try başlık'da concentric.
    If you'll be very pleased about the details of the connection description.
    Yes, I will post all details soon. I need to collect and share details of sheilding as well.


    Don

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by joop View Post
    so... nulling is achieved by exactly centering the RX-coil in the middle? Does it need any fine-tuning as in the double-D coil?
    Hi Joop. Nulling is done by adding or removing turns to the bucking coil. (Bucking coil is just the end of the main Tx coil wound the opposite direction around the Rx coil.)
    It's a little tricky because winding the bucking coil the opposite direction subtracts inductance from the main Tx coil, and increases the operating frequence a bit. So, you must add an extra turn or two the the Tx coil to re-adjust the frequency.

    To calculate the turns needed for the bucking coil, just divide the number of turns for the Tx coil by 4. So, 105t / 4 - 26 !

    Leave a comment:


  • mehmet 45
    replied
    I do not know English very well. Can you give more details about connections. I'm taken as a DD. I want to try başlık'da concentric.
    If you'll be very pleased about the details of the connection description.

    Leave a comment:


  • joop
    replied
    so... nulling is achieved by exactly centering the RX-coil in the middle? Does it need any fine-tuning as in the double-D coil?

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    started a topic Concentric coil for TGSL.

    Concentric coil for TGSL.

    After my success with a concentric for IDX, I though I would make a homebuilt CC for TGSL.
    I have to wait for a few sheets of plastic to show up to vacuum form a pair of shells, but early test are promising!

    Some advantages I am realizing by building CC over DD:

    * Light! Maybe 1/2 the weight as very little epoxy is used.
    * Cheap! maybe only $20.00
    * Disc is excellent!!!!!!! A handful of steel tools over the coil is completely silent!!!!!

    * Good detection range for the size. Coins at 25cm with a 20cm coil.
    * Did I mention cheap?!

    The down side - a little more challenging, but can be done.

    For some details-

    Tx coil - 95mm radius. It's build on a 100mm radius foam board with a groove cut in the edge with a hot iron. , 11mm thick. 105t using .25mm wire - 6.0 mH
    Wire is wound Counter clockwise.

    Rx coil - 43mm radius. It's built on a 43mm radius foam board, made into a spool (see pics). Foam board started at 11mm thickness but sanded a bit so all fits flush when finished. 193t using .25mm wire - 6.5mH. Wire is wound counter clockwise.

    Bucking coil - 26 turns (about) on the outside of the Rx coil, again .25mm. Wire is wound clockwise.

    Tx start is hooked to hot side of Tx circuit, end of bucking coil is hooked to ground.
    Nulling is excellent.. although I have not built any shield yet.

    Complete details to come when it's finished...

    Don
    Attached Files
Working...
X