Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Litz Wire Coil

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • James
    replied
    I have another question, if you make more slots in the basket weave coil form does that improve the over all performance of the coil ? Thank You, Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    http://www.geotech1.com/forums/attac...1&d=1456204270 This is the picture I was looking at, maybe this will resolve the confusion I caused. Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by James View Post
    I am sorry there is another thread that showed Mr. Goddards coils an the windings, it is on the coil page. Sorry. Best to all Jim
    Think I found the thread but can't find the pictures. Could be there, wouldn't be the first time I couldn't find something that was there. http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showt...140#post230140

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    I am sorry there is another thread that showed Mr. Goddards coils an the windings, it is on the coil page. Sorry. Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    What pics ?

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    I had think about Mr. Goddard about coils, I was wondering if anyone has added another preamp in the receive section of the detector circuits. I realize that the noise floor might increase, but there might be a advantage to finding smaller targets. Your thoughts would be appreciated, and I did find Mr. Goddard pic's of the coils very interesting. The construction techniques very nice. Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    I would like to see a pic of your coil , that is if you don't mind. I would be interested how the coil layers on the form. Thank You , Best to all James

    Leave a comment:


  • Sean_Goddard
    replied
    I've used a VERY thin wire woven into a web (looks like a tennis racket) stuck to a piece of thin card then embedded in foam or resin. if you sandwich the coil between TWO of them you get good grounding and virtually NO increase in coil "speed". Carbon (aquadag) also works and one you might like to try is Mylar "survival" blanket.

    I'm looking into something quite unique for a screen at the moment. Goodle "Silvering" it's the latest craze for "metallizing" your car or wheels or whatever and is applied in solution so is microns thick. Coating a coil using this methos will get a stupidly thin screen but one which penetrates into the bundle also ;-)

    James, no problem, glad you are experimenting and learning

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    Sorry that my original question has caused a problem with some folks, I asked the it because of Minelab coils use Litz wire. I would like to thank all the members who gave of their time and advice to answer my questions. Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • ionut_mtb
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean_Goddard View Post
    I thought this old nugget had been put to bed a LONG time ago. I previously described a way to make a VERY FAST coil using many thin wires wound in opposite directions to make a very low self inductive and capacitive coil. I was getting samples down to 5us with my version. I am intrigued as to why people are still messing with this when a 5us coil is available. If you can get it lower than that then crack on, but I've not seen anyone come close yet
    One question, Sean, what shield do you use for this type of coil?

    Leave a comment:


  • Sean_Goddard
    replied
    I thought this old nugget had been put to bed a LONG time ago. I previously described a way to make a VERY FAST coil using many thin wires wound in opposite directions to make a very low self inductive and capacitive coil. I was getting samples down to 5us with my version. I am intrigued as to why people are still messing with this when a 5us coil is available. If you can get it lower than that then crack on, but I've not seen anyone come close yet

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    Thank you for the info on the coil shells. Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Originally posted by James View Post
    I have another question for the board, where do you folks acquire the coil housings ? I have use tupper ware lids for the top and bottom, but they don't really hold up in service. Thank you for any information. Best to all Jim
    James

    Here is Don's web page, he sells housings at a reasonable price. The coil I posted above is just for the bench. I may order some 10.5" clam shell housings and adjust everything up to fit.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    housings have always been a problem to find one that fits the coil you are using, there are some available from Don, and ebay and George,
    or the latest trick is use a 3d printer,
    if you fit a skid plate they will last longer

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    I have another question for the board, where do you folks acquire the coil housings ? I have use tupper ware lids for the top and bottom, but they don't really hold up in service. Thank you for any information. Best to all Jim

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X