Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacuum forming coil housings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by Tilladude View Post
    Db I was just looking thru my US Plastics ca. and came across this sheet ABS so I jumped to their site and came up with the url for it, I tinyized it.

    http://tinyurl.com/2ayduxc

    I haven't gone to Micro-Mark to see what their prices are but you mentioned that the sheets were small, well USP's sheet is 4' X 8' which should open up possibilities a bit.

    Dennis
    Yes, that description sounds similar to what I got from
    http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/Thermoform_Plastic_Sheets_s/36.htm


    It does lead to a significant amount of waste though and it may be more efficient to order plastic in rolls. It generally has been costing me about $6.00 to make a shell but I think with a little research we could save a few dollars.

    More importantly though is my search for resin.. When it's all said and done, around $50.00 for a complete coil... All materials including shipping costs. Still, far cheaper than a commercially made coil and we can make them to suit our needs.

    Don..
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Tilladude View Post
    ... I tinyized it.
    That's cool!
    Even works with Linux.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tilladude
    replied
    Db I was just looking thru my US Plastics ca. and came across this sheet ABS so I jumped to their site and came up with the url for it, I tinyized it.

    http://tinyurl.com/2ayduxc

    I haven't gone to Micro-Mark to see what their prices are but you mentioned that the sheets were small, well USP's sheet is 4' X 8' which should open up possibilities a bit.

    Dennis

    Leave a comment:


  • Tilladude
    replied
    Lunamay:

    200C is 392F, that should be hot enough, it might take a litte longer to soften the plastic than it does for DB. Just keep an eye on it and when it slumps in the middle it's ready.

    Good luck,
    Dennis

    Leave a comment:


  • lunamay
    replied
    my owen has only 200C so it's to cold for abs or styren..i should try to make some enclosier in other place:P

    best regards..great job dfbowers

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    Thanks for the information. I started with a wooden box and just drilled tiny holes, like an air hockey table. Then hook up a shop vacuum.

    I use a wooden former for the coil housing. The sheet of plastic gets put on a frame while it goes into the oven. Leave it in for about 1 minute @ 425 degrees. When it starts to sag, turn the vacuum on, take the frame out of the oven REALLY fast and lay it on top of the vacuum form table. Voila!
    I have heard that you can use a bandsaw to cut off the excess, but I just use a Dremmel cut off wheel on a drill press.

    Here is what the finished coil looks like:
    You're a great craftsman; not so easy as it sounds I'm sure; very nice!

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by lunamay View Post
    i will make something like you. i think that its a great idea. i have an old but powerfull vaccume cleaner so now i have to make a box.
    i have a question
    what kind of plastic do you use and how hot must it be to form in vaccum
    did you ever try to make encloser from pleksi?

    best regards
    Hi, lunamay.

    Can you open the .zip file I posted in the above message? There are two links in there for different kinds of plastics that I have ordered and tried. Styrene and ABS, 1/16". Most plastics have a working temperature of 325 to 350 degrees, but I have been making the oven about 100 degrees hotter. Just make sure that you get the plastic out of the oven before it melts!

    Don

    Leave a comment:


  • lunamay
    replied
    i will make something like you. i think that its a great idea. i have an old but powerfull vaccume cleaner so now i have to make a box.
    i have a question
    what kind of plastic do you use and how hot must it be to form in vaccum
    did you ever try to make encloser from pleksi?

    best regards

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by lunamay View Post
    hi dfbowers
    what are you using for pomp tu suck off all the air?
    best regards

    A Shop Vacuum cleaner.. Craftsman 2.5 H.P.

    Leave a comment:


  • lunamay
    replied
    hi dfbowers
    what are you using for pomp tu suck off all the air?
    best regards

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    TGSL coil housings

    I'll post this in the "Tools & Techniques" section as well.
    I finally put together a complete document. I have a "clean"
    .doc if anyone wants a copy, but it's 8 Meg.

    Don.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Cyclonite
    replied
    You are welcome @Rov

    And about the Search Coil:

    @Ivconic has done a pretty good job in explaining How-to-Make, and Nullify a Search Coil in his Article Titled:

    TGSLCoil Making.pdf


    You can download it here:


    Regards,

    Robert

    Leave a comment:


  • Rov
    replied
    Thanks!Cyclonite! Im ams till very busyon Bill Hayes coil shells from my last shipment from him,he does a very good job! to me..I see your attachments an it means easy sense.Its still the internals,with the winds and screening still is the science to perfect?? for shell size?
    regards Rov

    Leave a comment:


  • Cyclonite
    replied
    You are welcome @Rov

    For You!, ... and this You can
    achieve in THIS lifetime!

    Vacuum Forming by using a Vacuum Cleaner and a Household Oven like proposed by @dfbowers

    Enjoy !

    Robert

    Attachment:

    Vacuum Forming
    with a Vacuum Cleaner and a Household Oven
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Rov
    replied
    Wow! a beut! recourse of info!But a lot of work? jigs!,frames! etc etc.Love it! just all the time to get together for this?Now in my next life time?I will achieve it all!for a home builder that is!
    Thanks very much for this info!Rov.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X