[Essentially (for those wondering what the ternary operator does) it's basically an IF-THEN-ELSE statement. In this case: If the coil voltage is greater than or equal to zero then R=100k, else it equals the product of the absolute value of the coil voltage and 1.7, plus 1. This produces a resistor that changes its value, when the coil voltage is negative, such that it sinks a constant current of approximately 600mA. If the coil voltage is zero or positive, the value is fixed to 100k]
I'm confused. Based on your formula the calculated resistor is going to be less than a fixed resistor for critical damping most of the decay curve. I was thinking the higher the resistance the faster the coil would decay to zero current.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
PI: Effects of pulse shape and transmit time.
Collapse
X
-
Are there reasons to use active damping other than possibly sampling sooner? In reply #18 I said 36 percent less, should have said the CC target response was 36 percent of the upper circuit response.
Leave a comment:
-
Trying to do constant current Tx and target response with spice. Adjusted time on upper circuit for 1 amp peak current. Adjusted time on lower CC circuit (1 amp peak) for equal target response with a 3 usec TC target. Increased target time constant from 3 usec to 100 usec. The target response was 36 percent less for the CC circuit compared to the the upper circuit for a 100 usec TC target. Not a big drop, Davor's reply above.Attached Files
Leave a comment:
-
I think I may have my contender for a CCPI solution up my sleeve. I'm tinkering an old solution of mine to short a coil at a zero crossing and thus obtain a perfect CCPI with energy recycling.
See http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showt...135#post145135
(replace D with MUR460 or any other fast recovery diode)
Leave a comment:
-
Aha! ... got it to work!
I was making it more complicated than it needed to be. It's bleedin' obvious once you know how to do it.
Attached Files
Leave a comment:
-
Unfortunately LTSpice does not support the ternary operator. I tried to fudge the same functionality using a behavioural source in conjunction with the "if" function, but could not get exactly the same results. However, I understand how it's supposed to work, and your results look correct. In the end I gave up, as I'd already spent more time on it than I should.
Essentially (for those wondering what the ternary operator does) it's basically an IF-THEN-ELSE statement. In this case: If the coil voltage is greater than or equal to zero then R=100k, else it equals the product of the absolute value of the coil voltage and 1.7, plus 1. This produces a resistor that changes its value, when the coil voltage is negative, such that it sinks a constant current of approximately 600mA. If the coil voltage is zero or positive, the value is fixed to 100k.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks Carl. I came up with the idea not knowing the big players were doing it already and calling it CCPI. Anyway I've designed and optimized my own circuit and I'm satisfied with it.
I'm also developing a new approach to cancelling magnetic ground response. It's based on a specially shaped pulse capable of exciting magnetic domains while ignoring conductive targets. I've designed such a pulse using convolution. All I need now is a pound or so of hot rock to start experimenting with. In my neck of the woods we only got common sand (The Netherlands).Perhaps some forum member from Down Under would be so kind as to provide me with samples typical of the gold fields, shipping costs on me... Hello! any Aussies reading this?
A half cosine wave is how the moodz active damping discharges the TX coil. I've done the SPICE simulation with this:Originally posted by Silver Dollar View Post...And the ultimate shape is a half sine wave...
Command: "tran 1n 200n uic"Code:L1 1 0 20uH IC=1A C1 1 0 20pF IC=9V R_VAR 1 0 R='V(1) >= 0? 100000R : 1R + abs(V(1)*1.7)'
Where R_VAR is the current sink that extracts a constant current from the resonant circuit (moodz used a MOSFET polarized as a current sink).
This is what the discharge looks like when the MOSFET is properly biased:

Leave a comment:
-
Teleno, using a constant current TX with different pulse widths is a very worthwhile approach. Due to my involvement with prior and current employers I cannot offer much more detail, other than to suggest you should pursue this. Minelab has filed a couple of patents on CCPI, White's has one and should have another in the works, so CCPI methods are being commercially developed.
Leave a comment:
-
You'll hardly find any. Moodz was secretive about it during a process of obtaining a patent, and then he simply vanished from here disgruntled by a crop of trolls of the time and mishandling of the forum contributors. Lately he was convinced he was banned from here.
He is still secretive about his advances.
Leave a comment:
-
Davor, do you have any pointers to the active damping circuits published in the forum? I'm having a hard time reading all of moodz threads and don't seem to see any implementation.
Leave a comment:
-
I think you got some ideas incorrectly. The longer tau targets will not be completely obliterated by short charging, and in terms of sensitivity, you'd not lose much. The biggest impact of this effect is perhaps in marketing of the devices with constant current pulses. Apparently many people suck those and spend bags of money on things that are not there.
As for GB, all nowadays GB solutions in PI rely on a ~1/t law of ground response decay which is linear in log-log scale. Introducing a knee in a perfect ground response curve would spoil your signal arithmetic, and hence separating charging pulse from flyback improves your odds of eliminating ground. In case of a rig without any sort of GB there is no difference, and ground is not quieter at all.
Leave a comment:
-
So it can actually be used to silence targets of longer tau. I'm thinking ferromagnetic.Originally posted by Davor View PostNow, your question is whether shorter charging pulse has any benefits. In short: no.
Because charging pulse and flyback pulses are of opposite polarity, if close to each other, some of target activation is lost, especially of longer tau.
As I understand, ground response would also be quieter but not gone. It sounds like an improvement. Software could get rid of the rest, or two-level pulsing.Originally posted by Davor View PostSomewhat more dramatic difference will happen with GB response that has a knee at a time after flyback equivalent to the charging period, and you'd wish it gone if you are after a perfect GB solution.
Since I've got nuggets in mind, it seems the constant current drive can be of advantage.
Thank you for the informative response!
P.S. I just saw the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US8749240 Eric Foster gave me the exact answers I needed. Thanks again for the tip.
Leave a comment:
-
This is equal to a constant current drive, and in effect the same as a current Whites patent signed also by Eric Foster himself, and that was a mild surprise to me. He did not strike me as a patenting kind of guy.Originally posted by Teleno View PostI want the peak current to stay the same for both long and very short TX times. This is not possible with current designs due to the turn-on current ramp. Currently you can only get lower than peak for short pulses.
I've found a way to eliminate the turn-on ramp, then shorter pulses are possible because the peak current is achieved almost instantly, you don't need to wait for a ramp to complete before turning off.
I believe this way ground response can be reduced and larger objects too (usually iron junk if you're lloking for gold nuggets).
Now, to achieve a constant current from a get-go, you'd have to initiate it by an equivalent of a flyback pulse. There are generally two ways to do it, either by a high voltage source, or by another coil discharge. After initiation a coil is short circuited to maintain a constant current, and avoid power consumption, or much more wastefully by maintaining a constant current by voltage source and a current limiter. In any case, the process is finished by cutting the current altogether to produce a normal flyback, of opposite polarity than a charging pulse, followed by detection.
Now, your question is whether shorter charging pulse has any benefits. In short: no.
Because charging pulse and flyback pulses are of opposite polarity, if close to each other, some of target activation is lost, especially of longer tau. If charge and flyback pulses are further apart than a target tau, you will not be able to notice any difference. Somewhat more dramatic difference will happen with GB response that has a knee at a time after flyback equivalent to the charging period, and you'd wish it gone if you are after a perfect GB solution.
Duration of flyback is often debated, but with targets in mind, you can say that flyback duration is of negligible importance as long as it is shorter than the shortest tau, and it is as energetic as the integral of its shape. Taming a flyback makes sense as avalanche effects tend to be noisy, but that's another story.
Leave a comment:
-
Well are you going to show us what you propose to do?
I thought the limiting factor to turn on is LRC in the coil.
Some have used a centertapped TX and powered only one
side to good effect.
Others propose that you need to have a long TX to completely
magnify the target so it's response is longest.
And the ultimate shape is a half sine wave...
Leave a comment:
-
I want the peak current to stay the same for both long and very short TX times. This is not possible with current designs due to the turn-on current ramp. Currently you can only get lower than peak for short pulses.Originally posted by dfbowers View PostAlso, peak current will be limited by wire resistance anyway. Or are you suggesting multi period sensing?
I've found a way to eliminate the turn-on ramp, then shorter pulses are possible because the peak current is achieved almost instantly, you don't need to wait for a ramp to complete before turning off.
I believe this way ground response can be reduced and larger objects too (usually iron junk if you're lloking for gold nuggets).
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: