Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCB TONER TRANSFER ... NO HEAT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PCB TONER TRANSFER ... NO HEAT



    Heatless (cold) Toner Transfer for PCB Making: Toner transfer method for making PC boards is very practical and economical. The use of heat for the transferring is not. Large boards expand with heat (more than the laser print) and heat is applied to the top of the toner and not to the bottom con…

  • #2
    That's really interesting. I used to use the Press-n-peel blue for PCBs, but now it's so fast & cheap I just get PCBs from a board house. No holes to drill, multiple layers, a nice silkscreen, and tinned.

    Comment


    • #3
      I haven't made any boards myself (except for couple of when I was in school) but since my last few boards from board house have errors here and there
      I've decided I will no longer more make PCBs directly from a board house.

      It's really bad when you end up with 5-10-20 PCBs with couple of wrong connections which could screw up the whole scene.

      I would prefer to make at least a prototype board manually with toner transfer method or UV exposure,
      and give it a try, correct if there are any errors and only then order from fab if I'm happy with the layout.

      For the test board I could reuse old parts, defect sockets & stuff I don't care stuffing.

      I even got my old HP Laser printer up and running (it's been sitting 7 years!) and toner still works!
      I was able to hack the toner cartridge counter so I could make quite a few more free copies.

      Comment


      • #4
        I make many pcbs (at least prototypes)especially when i want to do tests.
        So this method is very interesting.

        Thanks Moodz

        Comment


        • #5



          Easier to find, I agree.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for sharing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Has anyone had any success with this method of making PCBs?
              I tried it but could not get the toner to stick to the board at all.
              In the end I resorted to thoroughly wiping the pc board with straight acetone and then taping the toner transfer paper to it and passing it through my 'hotted- up' laminator at least 6-8 times.
              This produced a quite respectable resist layer which etched quite well. Much better results than scrubbing with a scourer and washing with water.
              I think the brand of laser toner has a marked effect on the results of each method - I used an HP Laserjet P1102w printer with the original HP toner cartridge.
              Would be interested to hear if others have had any luck and what toners/printers they are using.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Goaty View Post
                Has anyone had any success with this method of making PCBs?
                I tried it but could not get the toner to stick to the board at all.
                In the end I resorted to thoroughly wiping the pc board with straight acetone and then taping the toner transfer paper to it and passing it through my 'hotted- up' laminator at least 6-8 times.
                This produced a quite respectable resist layer which etched quite well. Much better results than scrubbing with a scourer and washing with water.
                I think the brand of laser toner has a marked effect on the results of each method - I used an HP Laserjet P1102w printer with the original HP toner cartridge.
                Would be interested to hear if others have had any luck and what toners/printers they are using.
                Exactly!

                I tried several PCBs by hot toner transfer - quality depends mostly on toner type and paper.

                And several acetone+alcohol mixtures for cold toner transfer. I ended up with pure acetone. This metod also depends on room temperature. I needed to push paper against copper layer and acetone vaporisation depends on material which you push against paper (it must allow acethone to vapor through this material). I think you need to experiment with paper and - more important - toner quality.

                My cheap noname toner crack in layers, sticks too much to paper... Original Canon toner was far better. Anyway I always needed to correct it with varnish, more or less.

                Comment


                • #9
                  thank,s

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X