Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Crossbow Classic PI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TowySalmon
    replied
    I have seen two 'clones'/'kit" builds on ebay uk in past year and one 'original' by George Overton on ebay Germany recently, Number 3 which I bought and am thrilled to own as it is original and unique. Some people, enthusiasts would have mine in a glass case by now haha. But I am using it, enjoying it and still looking for another coil for it.
    Please do not take it personally Keith, but if your 'homemade' detector works, appreciate it, cherish it and use it just like I do with an original. Yours in a way has improvements, so just enjoy it.
    If you want a value of it, put it up for sale. You will get what someone is prepared to pay....and only that.
    Regards,

    Leave a comment:


  • SVEN1
    replied
    There were maybe 7 who took the CrossBow challenge. Most picked up 1 or 2 PCB's each.
    I believe there were 10-15 PCB's made of ver. B. and possibly the same amount of vers. C.
    Vers. B had some building parts issues, there may have been 1 or 3 that worked of those completed. (GREEN PCB)
    Vers. C saw better success, still think no more than 3 possibly 4 functioning units were built. (BLACK PCB)(BLUE PCB)

    So any others who may have had PCB's made on their own, I don't know.

    The build is rather complex for a beginner or even some one experienced but, do-able.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by keith777 View Post
    so does that make mine more of a unique crossbow and like hens teeth to find. are is it just me wishful thinking.
    You should contact the person who constructed it to see how many he has produced.

    Leave a comment:


  • keith777
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Since it's based on a PCB design I sent to Sven, it should have the same performance as the original. I've no idea how many clones have been produced, maybe Sven knows. I don't think there were many, as it's quite a complex design for many people to duplicate.

    From the eBay photos, it looks like the battery pack was replaced by a larger capacity Li-ion type, and there were some other quite minor modifications.

    so does that make mine more of a unique crossbow and like hens teeth to find. are is it just me wishful thinking.

    Leave a comment:


  • TowySalmon
    replied
    Thank you once again.
    I have contacted Detech. They seem (from what I read online) to have possibly two other coils that may be suitable; a 15" Spiral and 18" Open Design, meant for the GP, GPX amd SD series..
    I will update here as soon as I hear back from them.
    Again, many thanks, all your help is greatly appreciated.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by TowySalmon View Post
    Thank you for quick reply.
    Now I have no idea what to say.
    I am happy to pay for new DD coil for this detector and to change the coil connections and add resistors etc.
    But now I just do not know what to say.
    All I want to do is add a DD coil. Please can you suggest one that is 15" diameter?
    Thank you
    I'm not aware of any 15" round DD coils that are suitable, but I do know that a Garrett Infinium LS DD coil (14"x10") will work.

    Also, you might want to look at Detech -> https://www.detech-metaldetectors.com/products.html
    where they sell 21"x17", 18"x15", and 15"x12" SEF coils suitable for Minelab GPX.

    Leave a comment:


  • keith777
    replied
    a 15" or bigger coil sounds good to me.........

    Leave a comment:


  • TowySalmon
    replied
    Thank you for quick reply.
    Now I have no idea what to say.
    I am happy to pay for new DD coil for this detector and to change the coil connections and add resistors etc.
    But now I just do not know what to say.
    All I want to do is add a DD coil. Please can you suggest one that is 15" diameter?
    Thank you

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by TowySalmon View Post
    Thank you so much Qiaozhi. Your reply is very helpful and at this moment just beyond some of my brain cell capabilities, but I do get the gist of what you say and has given me hope for an alternative coil that wont be impossible to achieve.
    The coil you choose needs to be intended for a PI detector. Coils for VLF detectors will not be suitable.

    Leave a comment:


  • TowySalmon
    replied
    Thank you so much Qiaozhi. Your reply is very helpful and at this moment just beyond some of my brain cell capabilities, but I do get the gist of what you say and has given me hope for an alternative coil that wont be impossible to achieve.

    I must admit that I have used Coiltek WOT DD coils for Minelab Sovereigns for many years (14"/15" diameter depending on whose ruler is used haha) and like them very much indeed. I also like the RIF DD coil too of similar size. I do not have a spare Coiltek coil, but I do have a RIF coil for a Minelab Explorer gathering dust at the moment and it is looking lonely in the corner of the bedroom. If that could be utilized, that would be fantastic. Alternatively, I do not mind buying a new or second hand Coiltek WOT DD coil.

    Please appreciate I have no soldering skills and no technical skills, someone will need to help me, but I have made 3 headphones for detectors...not one of them matches any other-all three are wired differently, but heyho, they work.

    Really looking forward to next installment now.
    Thanks again.
    PS Keith, nice pictures. My control box is above armcuff. I do not have enough skill here yet to upload pictures, so well done and thank you on showing us your setup.
    PPS this looks good and is lighter than the Cors coil http://en.marsmd.com/catalog/mars-md-goliath/
    PPPS. I have seen this coil and like the look of it and it is waterproof: http://corscoils.com/index.php/product/fire



    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by keith777 View Post
    oops. typo in original post.

    so the crossbow that i have. does anyone know how many of them have been made?
    also is mine any better in any way than the original one. has anyone compared the two?
    Since it's based on a PCB design I sent to Sven, it should have the same performance as the original. I've no idea how many clones have been produced, maybe Sven knows. I don't think there were many, as it's quite a complex design for many people to duplicate.

    From the eBay photos, it looks like the battery pack was replaced by a larger capacity Li-ion type, and there were some other quite minor modifications.

    Leave a comment:


  • keith777
    replied
    oops. typo in original post.

    so the crossbow that i have. does anyone know how many of them have been made?
    also is mine any better in any way than the original one. has anyone compared the two?

    Leave a comment:


  • keith777
    replied
    so the crossbow that i have. does anyone know how many of them have been made?
    also is mine any deter in any way than the original one. has anyone compared the two?

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by keith777 View Post
    photos re-added.
    Thanks for re-posting the photos.
    This is not an original Crossbow Classic unit. It's a clone produced using an PCB design I sent to Sven.
    The original had a battery check LED on the front panel, and you can see that's missing here. Also, the enclosure and the coil are different.

    Leave a comment:


  • keith777
    replied
    Originally posted by keith777 View Post
    this was my crossbow before i put it on to a straight shaft.







    photos re-added.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X