Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Detector to build !

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Detector to build !

    So I am vey happy to build electronics pcb Surface mount wind coils..
    But stupid in the needs of which detector to build, I guess a few fields and the beach or underwater are my needs
    Yes I am very new as far as detectors come, Love gold Rush so where is all the Gold

    If anyone cares to point me in the right direction that would be cool, I have most test kit ?

    So where would you suggest I start ?

    Thanks
    David
    UK

  • #2
    1. What is your level of electronics knowledge?

    2. Do you have an oscilloscope?

    Comment


    • #3
      several scopes and a spectrum analyser ,no clue how many soldering irons I keep buying up old Weller ones
      Click image for larger version

Name:	so far.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	362442

      drawing this at present which makes a change from the life support equipment I normally design. its a nmea controlled bow thruster for a little boat

      So yes I am ok with electronics and pcb design !

      Comment


      • #4
        If your knowledge of metal detector operation is thin then I suggest starting modest. There are several PI detectors that are good for the beach & salt water, probably the Minipulse is the most heavily discussed. Surfmaster & Hammerhead are similar. For VLF the best learning circuit is one of the Tesoro designs like TGSL.

        Comment


        • #5
          without any shadow of a doubt "Thin" is a very polite way to describe my knowledge of detectors When we move towards Phase shift er.. yes I struggle, So are you steering me towards the Mini pulse ? I am happy to take advice but you mat still have to put up with a few basic questions
          Thankyou.

          Comment


          • #6
            Mini Pulse Plus and Barracuda are both good designs with build guides to get you started. I have done build videos on my YouTube channel for several of the Geotech projects.
            Cheers

            Comment


            • #7
              will "surfdetector" find you youtube account
              Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by David_1 View Post
                will "surfdetector" find you youtube account
                Thanks
                It will. I have several play lists for various metal detector projects.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here is a great website run by one of the Geotech members (Silverdog) where you can purchase kits etc.
                  Find information, resources and relevant links for diydetector.co.uk. This domain may be for sale.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There must be others like me with loads of questions, but can not find a suitable part of the forum for.. Er simple questions
                    question one .. I love micro's but most designs seem to be just logic, I open up a new manufactured detector I would expect to find a micro, but is that just driving the display or have micro's now got a place in metal detecting ??
                    question two Vacuum forming coil heads ? who does this DIY ?

                    Thanks all
                    David

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Most newer designs do most of the processing in the micro. In fact, a lot of the designs are dispensing with the demodulators and using direct sampling. The micro does almost everything.
                      Coil shells can be bought from a handful of people. Don Bowers (dfbowers) is one Geotech denizen who makes them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
                        Most newer designs do most of the processing in the micro
                        so is there a diy design like this ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by David_1 View Post
                          so is there a diy design like this ?
                          This is a good project:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            On this forum the Nano PI and the VooDoo are micro-processor based designs.

                            Most others here use 555 timer's (or other hardware timing chips) to do all timing. Check my thread on the HH2. I replaced all the 555 timers with a PIC processor.
                            A basic PI design incorporating a PIC micro for timing control, intended as a learning platform for using uC's.


                            I and some other have experimented with direct sampling and all detection in a processor. This gets to be difficult. One reason is the very small signal for the target.
                            I never got far enough to write up and post results.

                            If you are already good with programming micro-processors but never did a metal detector, try starting with a simple PI circuit and replace the hardware timing with the processor.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X