Looking for a GPR for utility use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a GPR for utility use

I'm seeking a GPR for finding pipes of various utility companies at depths up to 5m. Nothing fancy.
    Any suggestions?

Why GPR?

Why not magnetic locator instead?

http://www.engineersupply.com/dunham...soft-case.aspx

Comment

Because there are already lots of various pipes, including PE, shooting at all directions, and only the new ones are properly catalogued (say 30 years back) while older ones are piece-fully (just kidding Qiaozhi) rotting in the ground, and former military lots are not catalogued at all. Water, gas, telephone, rotten something ... that's utility in cities.
      Mostly because new pipes are PE, and they are usually equipped with a metal strip for location, which unfortunately often gets snipped at places. You just can't detect a PE pipe with anything other than GPR if a location strip is cut. Ergo GPR.

Comment

Maybe you can find something here in Pro Engineering Supplies online store:

http://www.engineersupply.com/Pipe-Cable-Locators.aspx

Comment

Unfortunately not. Guys that really need the GPR already have some instruments of this kind, and only a GPR would make a difference.
          So I need tips on a ~5m depth GPR device for utility use: pipes, manholes etc.

Comment

Davor, you are very optimistic if you hope that GPR can detect something like pipe at 5m of depth, except maybe main pipeline. GPR detecting reality at 5m can be tunnels at the most, not plastic pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Davor View Post
              ... while older ones are piece-fully (just kidding Qiaozhi) rotting in the ground, ...
              It took me a little while to get that.

Comment

Originally posted by WM6 View Post
                Davor, you are very optimistic if you hope that GPR can detect something like pipe at 5m of depth, except maybe main pipeline. GPR detecting reality at 5m can be tunnels at the most, not plastic pipes.
                Yes, precisely that. Normal utility pipes get burried up to 2.5m deep, except large gauges that seldom get deeper to about 5m. Thinner gauges are not burried that deep. So yeah! It should do. Any suggestions?

Comment

www.easyrad.de ?

Comment

I made an enquiry, but directly to Bulgaria. This GPR is not advertised as utility device, but perhaps it can do. The basic model is very portable.

Comment

why not a simple differential magnetomter?
                      you dont need to detect any metal
                      it would find hollow room which disturbs the homogen earth magnet field lines at this little area
                      maybe investment of max 150€

regards

Comment

Because I need it for professional use, and the main problem is that some pipes are not charted well, and they are made of PE or metal, so only a GPR would make a difference. Simple magnetometers and resistivity probes are already there, but in case a locating wire that comes with PE pipes is cut - there is no way of detecting it - other than GPR. OK, also the passive LF would do, but GPR makes pretty graphs, and those produce lots of ooooh and aaaah on sites. I know I sound like a girl now, but I really need a GPR.

Comment

There are several GPR for UtilityScan detection. It depends on your budget; we use a GSSI UtilityScan DF, with dual frequency (300 and 800 MHz) for the optimal detection of shallow and deeper targets. Very happy but the cost is around 25k$. There are used items you can find a lot of cheaper if you look around.

Comment

I'm still looking around, but the Bulgarian unit is still leading the pack in capability/cost ratio. Sad truth is that civil engineering crews hate GPR's and they'd rather do some serious damage to the pipelines than look at some silly displays ... unless they are forced to. If I get a green light on the purchase, I'll give you some input soon.

BTW, I'd consider Geomorph and some other companies too if only they'd list their prices in simple numbers with currencies. I'm not going to marry any of those, so having a price of a base model would convince me the company is worth contacting.

On a second thought, anyone marrying to a cryptic person deserves all the misery that follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Davor View Post
                              I'm still looking around, but the Bulgarian unit is still leading the pack in capability/cost ratio. Sad truth is that civil engineering crews hate GPR's and they'd rather do some serious damage to the pipelines than look at some silly displays ... unless they are forced to. If I get a green light on the purchase, I'll give you some input soon.

BTW, I'd consider Geomorph and some other companies too if only they'd list their prices in simple numbers with currencies. I'm not going to marry any of those, so having a price of a base model would convince me the company is worth contacting.

On a second thought, anyone marrying to a cryptic person deserves all the misery that follows.
                              i believe i have mentioned price above. The DF is pretty expensive; version with no post processing software starts at 25k USD. No cryptic intentions here really!

Comment

Working...
                              X