Earth resistivity survey to find buried objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth resistivity survey to find buried objects

The "objects" in this case being a cache. My question,for those more familiar with ERMs, is what size does an object have to be for a resistivity meter to pick it up?
    Another question, I have read that the depth of survey is half the distance between the electrodes in the ground. Assuming this is true, and you wanted to search down to a depth of 5 feet, would the meter also pick up objects buried at 1, w
    2, 3 feet, etc? Also, what is the width of the survey per electrode station?

ERM is not the best tool in the shed for Cache hunting. Unless the Item is quite sizable I don't think you would have a chance using one.

Width of Detection again would depend on target size and make up.

Comment

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed to know

Comment

A decent PI machine would be my weapon of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by homefire View Post
          Absolutely, thats why I'm here just took a Whites TM 800 up,but wasn't getting anywhere near the depth it says on test target,deep seeking PI it is

Comment

this cave image created with OhmMagic

Comment

Originally posted by homefire View Post
              What's the best bang for the buck PI machine these days?

Comment

interesting thread , dear homefire , you says " ERM is not the best tool in the shed for Cache

hunting " but we know arch?ologists use this kind of tools to discover what is down with good

accuracy , you know i was gonna buy one so explain me what's going wrong with this tool

knowing that in my country items are far down until ten meters , and this way i've selected few

tools but i've no decided yet which one will be the best for me
                1 / pro accumeter series from accurate locator
                2 / quattroforce , accumaster pro digital and pro accumaster VII from GDI
                so i want you to give me advice if i buy or no , thank you
                regards

Comment

Originally posted by AK48 View Post
                  interesting thread , dear homefire , you says " ERM is not the best tool in the shed for Cache

hunting " but we know arch?ologists use this kind of tools to discover what is down with good

accuracy , you know i was gonna buy one so explain me what's going wrong with this tool

knowing that in my country items are far down until ten meters , and this way i've selected few

tools but i've no decided yet which one will be the best for me
                  1 / pro accumeter series from accurate locator
                  2 / quattroforce , accumaster pro digital and pro accumaster VII from GDI
                  so i want you to give me advice if i buy or no , thank you
                  regards
                  Accumeter is the best..tested here in the philippines

Comment

hello ! wich brand is tested in philippines ?

Comment

It is possible to find buried caches with an ERM. But you will need a real 4-probe ERM with mapping software, and a lot of patience. The Accumeter is a piece of garbage, it's a $25 toy pretending to be a serious instrument.

Comment

thanks Carl but if you think accumeter is a piece of garbage and a toy , which is a serious one to buy

Comment

What you want is a true 4-probe meter that can do Wenner-type measurements (or Schlumberger), has AC constant-current injection, and also has data-logging and mapping software. I don't have direct experience with any particular devices but I do own an Accumeter and it is a useless toy (same for Kellyco's GPL units).

Here are a few links if you want to see what a real ERM device looks like:

https://www.agiusa.com/supersting-wifi

https://www.aemc.com/products/ground-testers

http://www.geonics.com/html/conductivitymeters.html <--induction-based ERM

https://www.globalgilson.com/soil-resistance-meters

Comment

Working...
                          X