Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potassium Magnetometer from Gemsys (bye bye OKM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potassium Magnetometer from Gemsys (bye bye OKM)

hello, i read on this forum that Gemsys magnetometers are the Ferrari of all magnetometers.
    Potassium Mag is able to detect smaller magnetic anomalies in greater depth compared to fluxgate mags or even cesium mags. the sensivity of potassium sensor is 0.022 nt( compared to 15 nt to 20 nt in commercial OKM fluxgate devices) That means theorically P Mag is able to detect a 12 cm screwdriver at 7 meters deep (0.05 nt).
    The potassium mag/grad is destinated for Uxo detection and it's highly priced.
    I contacted the company and the gave me results of experiences at 10 meters deep. the P mag was able to detect 1 kilogram of ferrous object at 10 meters.

I'm planning to buy one and I'm looking for advice.

Ps: i'm searching for voids, man-made objects and metallic containers from 0 to 15 meters depth.

Is it the best choice or should i consider a Gpr?

GPR and magnetometers serve different purposes. A geophysicist keeps all available tools in their toolbox and only uses the correct tool(s) for the specific application. You should rent tools and take the appropriate classes before you ever consider buying one. You should read the correct books prior to renting tools. I suggest Field Geophysics by Milsom, and Applied and Environmental Geophysics by Reynolds as the starting point in your learning process. You also need to know what software you plan to use for data processing and interpretation prior to collecting any data. I suggest QCTool by PetRos EiKon as the least expensive but still useful software. It is about $400 plus $100 for the USB dongle which is dirt cheap compared to the $35,000 Geosoft Oasis Montaj license that I used to use.

Originally posted by bushido View Post
    hello, i read on this forum that Gemsys magnetometers are the Ferrari of all magnetometers.
    Potassium Mag is able to detect smaller magnetic anomalies in greater depth compared to fluxgate mags or even cesium mags. the sensivity of potassium sensor is 0.022 nt( compared to 15 nt to 20 nt in commercial OKM fluxgate devices) That means theorically P Mag is able to detect a 12 cm screwdriver at 7 meters deep (0.05 nt).
    I contacted the company and the gave me results of experiences at 10 meters deep. the P mag was able to detect 1 kilogram of ferrous object at 10 meters.

Ps: i'm searching for voids, man-made objects and metallic containers from 0 to 15 meters depth.

Comment

GEM Systems is one of a handful of legitimate magnetometer manufacturer like Geometrics and Scintrex. There are also three companies that make solid state atomic magnetometers: Geometrics, Twinleaf, and QuSpin. I have used all of these and have owned many of them. I primarily use QuSpin magnetometers for the past 7 years. OKM only exists to take money from people who don’t know what they are doing and are gullible.

Originally posted by bushido View Post

Comment

i know the company Qspin but i never tested their sensors,
        could you tell us about the data quality of their rubidium sensors ? can they compete with gemsys potassium mag ? And seeing the size of the two instruments, what equipment do you prefer ?

Comment

100% agree with 99thpercentile. Detection capabilities also depend on the specific environment, data acquisition, and processing.

Comment

I can understand the need for such a device when it comes to a company that professionally and at a high level deals with such research.
            But when I hear depths like "10 meters"... I immediately remember my struggles on various terrains!
            With Deus, I often detect "something" that is deeper than 20-30cm... and then the agony begins while it is dug out!
            Maybe it's my age, maybe a painful spine... maybe this soil here is too hard and cruel...
            We all strive for greater depths... but I wonder what happens when that happens?
            When the device actually detects something at... say 2 meters...
            Who will dig it up and how?
            Joking aside... but when it comes to such devices (I'm not sure it's that type of device); I was really impressed when I saw a YouTube video
            of MAGNEX 120 LW and how it performs.
            The price is huge for my modest budget. But I'm interested in what type of device it is... First of all, the type of sensor used.
            Unfortunately I can't find that video now. It is a private video, a hole dug, 2 meters deep, at the bottom of the hole is an old helmet.
            And the way the device detects that object. I was thoroughly impressed.

Comment

Working...
            X