Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Wheels Radar Gun

Hi, I just tried Hot Wheels Radar Gun.
    I got it for $2 from Sunday market. It is a “toy” to measure speed of slot cars or other toys. The super thing is that it operates at 10.525GHz, it has digital display showing 3 digits representing speed. For curiosity I checked it on 50c coin. When I have moved speed gun slowly over the coin it displayed number over 30 for a second. It does it every time up to about 80 cm distance in the air.
    Then I have placed coin underground about 10 cm and moved speed gun about 5 cm above ground – it was the same result when passing over the coin. It works.
    I see some of them on ebay for around $30 (used one must be much less).
    Did one make some experiments with this toy – like modified reflecting part or so.
    I checked the wire with signal from the head with oscilloscope and it goes up and down while object displaces location in the front but the number is produced only when DC level varies fast enough – so it is possible to sense object even in static condition if CRO or DC volt meter is connected to wire “SIG” from PCB.
    I will make more testing – any comments?

Comment

Επιτοπιε μ'αρεσε το αβαταρ σου..σωστος!!!

I like the avatar of you epitopios

Comment

GOTO Colorado Gold sticks - Thread 14

Originally posted by wam View Post
        Hi, I just tried Hot Wheels Radar Gun.
        I got it for $2 from Sunday market. It is a “toy” to measure speed of slot cars or other toys. The super thing is that it operates at 10.525GHz, it has digital display showing 3 digits representing speed. For curiosity I checked it on 50c coin. When I have moved speed gun slowly over the coin it displayed number over 30 for a second. It does it every time up to about 80 cm distance in the air.
        Then I have placed coin underground about 10 cm and moved speed gun about 5 cm above ground – it was the same result when passing over the coin. It works.
        I see some of them on ebay for around $30 (used one must be much less).
        Did one make some experiments with this toy – like modified reflecting part or so.
        I checked the wire with signal from the head with oscilloscope and it goes up and down while object displaces location in the front but the number is produced only when DC level varies fast enough – so it is possible to sense object even in static condition if CRO or DC volt meter is connected to wire “SIG” from PCB.
        I will make more testing – any comments?
        Hi WARM Try going to Colorado gold sticks thread 14 You might find the answer there - happy prospecting - Ernie

Comment

Hi WM6, et al. I have an EMFAD which was designed to receive 44-142khz from the "submarine" tx's, and we all know that the old Loran and Omega stations have shut down, leaving the 3 here in the USA, which transmit at around 24khz. Fine. So, first I had the EMFAD receiver altered (caps) to receive a very selective 24khz signal, and then I had a small tx built (North Country Radio) that supposedly puts out 1 watt. I have attached a 12 mtr x 4 sides loop antenna (18 guage copper stranded wire) to it but it does not produce enough power to give steady constant results on my imagry. The side closest to the tx is always much stronger, so not a reliable image is produced when I do my grid survey. Any ideas? I would have thought that the tx in Cutler, Me would have been strong enough to reach down here in south Texas, but it doesn't seem to be. TIA for any advice.
          Also, the manufacturer uses similar tx in his new model, the "PRO" and he advised me on the antenna design.

Comment

Originally posted by Locator View Post
            Επιτοπιε μ'αρεσε το αβαταρ σου..σωστος!!!

I like the avatar of you epitopios
            I think he is proud to be Greek as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cloud View Post
              Hi WM6, et al. I have an EMFAD which was designed to receive 44-142khz from the "submarine" tx's, and we all know that the old Loran and Omega stations have shut down, leaving the 3 here in the USA, which transmit at around 24khz. Fine. So, first I had the EMFAD receiver altered (caps) to receive a very selective 24khz signal, and then I had a small tx built (North Country Radio) that supposedly puts out 1 watt. I have attached a 12 mtr x 4 sides loop antenna (18 guage copper stranded wire) to it but it does not produce enough power to give steady constant results on my imagry. The side closest to the tx is always much stronger, so not a reliable image is produced when I do my grid survey. Any ideas? I would have thought that the tx in Cutler, Me would have been strong enough to reach down here in south Texas, but it doesn't seem to be. TIA for any advice.
              Also, the manufacturer uses similar tx in his new model, the "PRO" and he advised me on the antenna design.
              Hi Black Cloud,

this is one of possible solution of problem discussed in this topic:

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=6

Comment

Working...
              X