Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Phiphi View Post
    Hi Eric

    I had a bad and a good night : a bad night because I didn't sleep well but also a good one because I think I found why I have so strange waveforms !
    I have measured the voltage across the coil and everybody knows that V = L di/dt so di/dt = V/L.
    You have written that the final current is 1 A. I see that the last 40us of the pulse are at 6V so it means 4mA/us (6/0.0015) or a 160mA variation in 40 us.
    The pulse is 48.6 us long so after 8.6 us the current is 1000 - 160 = 840 mA. So in the first part we have about 100 mA / us average slope or 150V average voltage.
    We have a sawtooth at about 300V decreasing in 8 us to 6V : that's about 150 V average or 100mA /us.
    In the first 8 us, the current as a parabolic shape with a slope decreasing from 200mA / us to 4mA / us and the last 40 us a linear variation from 840 mA to 1A.

    Maybe they do that by polarizing the Mosfet with a decreasing voltage from 300V to 6V by discharging a capacitor or something similar ...

    Philippe
    Hi Philippe,

    It's a bit tricky to do, but if you can put a 0.1ohm resistor in the ground side of the coil, this will display the coil current waveform without the high voltage transients. What you should see is as the image on my post no.53. Under the cover that you have removed, the braid termination can be unsoldered by using a slim iron and lifting the wire out of the slotted terminal with slim taper nose pliars. I presume that lead free solder has been used as per regulations, but I found it easier to melt by applying a bit of tin/lead solder first. I also made a heat shroud out of thin brass to prevent any risk of damage to the thread into which the plastic cap screws.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by TH'r View Post
    Hello Carl;
    I too purchased one of the recently advertised Vallon VMH3's from England. They are being shipped with only their field cards. Would you share your manual with us? Thanks
    I don't know whether this will be of any help, but here's a detailed brochure:


    Also, this company sends out a photocopy of the field instructions with their Vallon detectors, so it might be worth contacting them to see if you can buy a copy -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rays-Tek-Su...p2047675.l2563

    Leave a comment:


  • TH'r
    replied
    Hello Carl;
    I too purchased one of the recently advertised Vallon VMH3's from England. They are being shipped with only their field cards. Would you share your manual with us? Thanks


    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    Yes, the unit is complete with the carry case, manual, field card, and firing pin OTP (operational test piece). This unit does not appear to be as good as yours. At max sensitivity it will detect the OTP (which tells me it's working within spec) but a US nickel is only 9-10" or so, and it won't detect my 1x foil standard at all. The TDI easily beats this.

    I think there is something out-of-whack on this unit. My foil standards are square 1"x1" pieces of foil layered in clear packing tape, with 1x being single layer, 2x has 2 layers, etc. I have 1x-8x continuous (helps identify target holes), plus 12, 16, 24, and 32x. The 1x is invisible. 2x has a negative response, that is, I get a signal as the target moves away from the coil. 3x has a weaker negative response, 4x a decent positive response and the rest look good from there. I'll try to play with it some more today.

    Yeah, the Recon/ATX looks a lot like the Vallon. I also have an ATX so maybe I'll try it as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Phiphi
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Hi Phiphi,

    The duration of both TX pulses should be 50uS. I suggest that you may be looking at the back emf of the front edge and the back edge, and your 48.6uS is the duration of one pulse. This would also account for the difference in your pulse shapes.

    Eric.
    Hi Eric

    I had a bad and a good night : a bad night because I didn't sleep well but also a good one because I think I found why I have so strange waveforms !
    I have measured the voltage across the coil and everybody knows that V = L di/dt so di/dt = V/L.
    You have written that the final current is 1 A. I see that the last 40us of the pulse are at 6V so it means 4mA/us (6/0.0015) or a 160mA variation in 40 us.
    The pulse is 48.6 us long so after 8.6 us the current is 1000 - 160 = 840 mA. So in the first part we have about 100 mA / us average slope or 150V average voltage.
    We have a sawtooth at about 300V decreasing in 8 us to 6V : that's about 150 V average or 100mA /us.
    In the first 8 us, the current as a parabolic shape with a slope decreasing from 200mA / us to 4mA / us and the last 40 us a linear variation from 840 mA to 1A.

    Maybe they do that by polarizing the Mosfet with a decreasing voltage from 300V to 6V by discharging a capacitor or something similar ...

    Philippe

    Leave a comment:


  • techo_bob
    replied
    Hi Phiphi

    Looks in fact that your pulse duration is 48 uS
    They are recycling a portion of the previous flyback and kick stating the next but in the opposite polarity hence the 1/4 sine capacitor
    discharge cycle at the start of the pulse, then the cycle is repeated in the opposite polarity

    Cheers Techo_bob..

    Leave a comment:


  • Phiphi
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Hi Phiphi,

    The duration of both TX pulses should be 50uS. I suggest that you may be looking at the back emf of the front edge and the back edge, and your 48.6uS is the duration of one pulse. This would also account for the difference in your pulse shapes.

    Eric.
    Hi Eric

    Thank you for your answer.
    I'll make a new measurement tomorrow with the detector far from metal because on the bench, there was the first 4 led lighted. But I doubt it can explain the waveforms !
    I have the test acrylic cylinder and it is detected when I swing it over the coil.

    Good night

    Philippe

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Phiphi View Post
    What do you think of all that stuff ?
    Very interesting.
    It also seems like you picked up a good example of the Vallon VMH3CS for the price you paid. The ears on the arm cup are usually broken off, with the rest of it looking like it's been run over by a truck.

    The unusual thing about this detector is the high inductance coil, since it has the ability to detect targets of low conductivity. These two facts tend to be mutually exclusive.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Hi Phiphi,

    The duration of both TX pulses should be 50uS. I suggest that you may be looking at the back emf of the front edge and the back edge, and your 48.6uS is the duration of one pulse. This would also account for the difference in your pulse shapes.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Phiphi View Post
    I have bought a Vallon VMH3CS on eBay on a UK site for 185 £ + 25 £ shipping in France.
    I received it today and it's seems to work but I hadn't time to use it very much.
    The serial plate is missing but there is a punched tag with 6 and 10 removed so it must be June 2010.
    It has pinpointing as Eric's one.
    I have measured the coil inductance and found the same value than Eric : 1.5 mH and 3.7 ohms resistance. I'll try to measure soon the self resonance frequency.
    I don't have a complete manual but just two plasticised papers with very basic instructions to use it.

    What are the tests to do to be sure it works fine ?
    If the detector runs through its own test sequence when you first switch on, then after a few seconds settles down and detects metal, then you can be sure that the electronics is working fine. Did you get a test piece with the detector? This consists of an acrylic rod, 90mm x 15mm, with a small aluminium cylinder, 10mm x 2.5mm embedded in one end. The rod is on a cord so that you can swing it over the search coil, the metal cylinder being at the end away from the coil. If you swing it such that non-metal end is at a 10mm clearance above the coil then the sensitivity is on spec.

    The only electronic malfunction I have found so far on one of the units I purchased (10+) is a stuck tactile switch on the indicator panel. This appeared to be due to the plastic overlay having hardened in the Afghan sun and losing its required flexibility.

    The coil swivel on most units is very stiff and squeaks when you try and adjust the angle. This is due to fine dust that gets in the swivel and the O rings running dry. The end of the swivel shaft where the clamping bolt is, can be freed up with WD40. It is best to remove the bolt and both clean and lubricate this also. From the other side of the shaft you can remove the cover plate and squirt some WD40 in that side too. You might be inclined to make or obtain a special key to remove this as sometimes they used silicone sealant on the threads. I don't know why this was done as there is a perfectly good O ring under this cover and if it was clean and greased with silicon grease, that should be ample. There are two O rings on this end of the shaft but WD40 seems to penetrate past the two and free them up, but I prefer to dismantle the whole swivel to get the dust out and grease them with the waterproof silicon grease. This is best if you are going to used the Vallon on the beach and in water.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Phiphi
    replied
    There wasn't enough room in the previous post for two pictures of my lab with the Vallon on the bench !

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	645.5 KB
ID:	347376
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	347377

    Leave a comment:


  • Phiphi
    replied
    I had time today to make measurement by connecting a scope probe on the coil of my Vallon VMH3CS like that :

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	998.4 KB
ID:	347365

    First a view of the two successive pairs of pulse

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	347366

    As you can see the two pairs are 610 us time spaced with a +/- 250V amplitude.
    Now the first pair

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	347367

    The first negative pulse is unusual as a sawtooth waveform but the second one is more common. They are 48.6 us separated.
    And now the second pair

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	580.2 KB
ID:	347368

    The second pair is as the first one but amplitude reversed.

    The first pulse of the first pair about 9us long:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	347369

    The second pulse of the first pair about 8.2us long :

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	555.3 KB
ID:	347370

    The first pulse of the second pair about 9us long:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	347371

    The second pulse of the second pair about 8us long :

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	347372

    Now some more amplitude details. First, the end of the negative sawtooth signal

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	347373

    It finishs at -6V.
    And finally, the end of positive pulse. There is an undershoot of about 2 V. It doesn't seem to be well damped.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	593.9 KB
ID:	347375

    What do you think of all that stuff ?

    Leave a comment:


  • greylourie
    replied
    Thanks Michael and Eric, for the info. I'm curious about any potential for recording ground/archaeological data.

    Jon.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by mschmahl View Post
    [ATTACH]38150[/ATTACH]
    Here is the pinout information
    The pinout is a bit puzzling as you would think pin B is the live audio connection. However, it appears that pin D is the one to choose (marked Tone). To mute the internal piezo speaker you link B to F, which can be checked with a test meter on the connector on the phone supplied with the detector. Some suppliers do not include a phone which is a one-ear job and doesn't look the part.
    So far I have only tried piezo headphones such as Gray Ghost waterproof and Whites Surfmaster phones. The Gray Ghost are fine as they are, but Whites were much too loud and I had to make an in-line attenuator. The audio Volume can of course be adjusted on the detector by switching to the speaker symbol on the control knob and the pressing the + or - buttons to increase or reduce the volume. This is fine except that when the detector is switched off, the new setting is not stored. A sensible precaution for mine detection when you want every detector to have a default setting on switching back on, but a nuisance for hobby use. I have not tried low impedance phones, but I would be surprised if they worked without a matching transformer. Piezo phones do not appear to be readily available except for the high priced models so far tried.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • mschmahl
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	347364
    Here is the pinout information

    Leave a comment:


  • Phiphi
    replied
    Originally posted by Phiphi View Post
    I'll try to measure soon the self resonance frequency.
    I have measured 208 kHz as the SRF so it gives a 390 pF capacitor.
    I have made the measurement on the connector between the shaft and the body.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X